Changing Power Steering Fluid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Changing Power Steering Fluid?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
PurpleHayes
2008 MK Compass 

Changing Power Steering Fluid?

The QuickieLube place says I need my power steering fluid changed, and they want about $70 for the job. Is this something I can do myself? Does anyone know how to go about it? Any help at all is appreciated.

PurpleHayes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Mino
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bump. I'd also like to know how do this. Thanks.
3" suspension lift, K&N cold air intake, Pro Comp MX6 shocks, JKS Quicker Disconnects & Front Track Bar, Dynomax Cat-Back system, SYE kit, Pro Comp Rock Crawler Wheels, 33" BF Goodrich A/T, Aussie Locker, and Warn XD9000i winch
Mino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
tknarr

Why do you need to change your power steering fluid?
Sounds like the Lube Shop needs your hard earned money!!!
Check your owners manual for change intervals (if there is one), otherwise if it aint broke, don't fix it>
tknarr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The recommended fluid for the power steering system is Mopar® Power Steering fluid + 4 or Mopar® ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid. Both fluids have the same material standard specifications (MS-9602).

Mopar® ATF+4 (and Mopar® Power Steering fluid + 4), when new, is red in color. ATF+4 is dyed red so it can be identified from other fluids used in the vehicle such as engine oil or antifreeze. The red color is not permanent and is not an indicator of fluid condition. As the vehicle is driven, ATF+4 will begin to look darker in color and may eventually become brown. THIS IS NORMAL. ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. Consequently, odor and color cannot be used to indicate the fluid condition or the need for a fluid change.

NOTE: Although not required at specific intervals, the fluid level may be checked periodically. Check the fluid level anytime there is a system noise or fluid leak suspected.

There is no scheduled maintenance for changing the fluid.

The wife had her oil changed at one of the quick lube places, came home and they had told her that she needed to have her injectors cleaned for $90. RIGHT! A Hemi that's getting 19 mpg doesn't need any injector work performed other than, maybe, a can of injector cleaner in the tank once in awhile.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
PurpleHayes
2008 MK Compass 

Ok, well glad I asked! They told me the fluid was "dirty" and that the recommended interval was 30k miles; my Compass Has 37k. RTFM indeed. Thanks, tknarr and Gramps!
Unread 07-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Steiner
2007 MK Compass 

Hi M8s! I changed my PS fluide in June 10, at 75K for the first time, and this even if the fluid was looking normal. The easiest way to do it for a none mechanic like me (us):

First, locate the PS reservoir, just behing the coolant and windsheild washer reservoir. Open it, and using a suction device such as a cyringe (big one), I used one with a 6" clear tube a the end to reach all the way in the reservoire. Empty the reservoir, refill it with new ATF-4 PS fluid, specifications (MS-9602). Put the cap back on, then start the engine, turn the stering completely to the left, than completely to the right and return to center, kill the engine and re do the first step again.

Do this until the Qts is empty. The PS fluid capacity is about 1.1 qts, here in Canada we have litres, so I have more than anough. This ensure a complete turn around in the system, and I don't get stuck with left overs.

This is a crude methode, but it does not involve breaking any lines or requiring any special tools and so on, and you keep your $ in your pockets. The process takes about 30 min to complete and the cost is only the PS fluid. Please ensure to properly dispose of your used lubricants.

General rule of thum, change your fluids every 2 Yrs, brakes, PS, and Coolant, the 2 Yrs rule does not apply for the engine oil naturaly.

Steiner
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
PurpleHayes
2008 MK Compass 

Thanks, Steiner--I had considered a similar method wondering if it would work. I have a manual pump that I use for removing gasoline from my lawnmower and snow blower at the end of their respective seasons. Should save me quite a few bucks.
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

I've owed a lot of vehicles and have never changed the power steering fluid nor have heard of it being changed. It won't hurt but I don't know if it will help either.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The 2 most neglected fluids in any vehicle is the brake fluid and PS fluid.

I won't get into brake fluid................

As far as the PS fluid,it's a high pressure hydraulic system without a cooler(in your case) with a capacity or about 2 qts(or less).Your PS system takes the same fluid as the auto trans(non-CVT) and is toasted after reaching 200+ degrees and needs to be changed,oh looky that is the normal operating temps of your PS system.Might want to price out a R&P steering gear and it's labor,changing your PS fluid every 30k will seem like a bargain.

Oh and Gramps might want to actually research what a fuel induction cleaning does and what a "dry intake" is and why it needs a induction cleaning often.Just throwing cleaner in the gas tank does nothing in a "dry intake".
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Oh and Gramps might want to actually research what a fuel induction cleaning does and what a "dry intake" is and why it needs a induction cleaning often.Just throwing cleaner in the gas tank does nothing in a "dry intake".
It's always nice to supply links if you're trying to be helpful.

Fuel and Induction System Cleaning

Best Way - Air Fuel Induction Cleaning | eHow.com

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
compass , patriot , power steering , power steering fluid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.