Changed Jeeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Changed Jeeps

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
JeepNorth
2007 JK Wrangler 

Changed Jeeps

Well, guys I'm sorry to say my days with the Compass are over.

Sadly I upgraded or should say saddled over to a Wrangler X.

It is a completely different drive, I found the clutch to be much better and way more forgiving. The 3.8L V6 is whoa!!!!! We took it out for a test drive with the top down and doors off. Not something I recommend in the winter. I tried to get into 6th gear, yes it is a 6 speed. I was doing 120 before I was on the threshold of needing to go into 6th. We also got $500 of mopar accessories so we got some goodies.

Unfortunately the Compass had a BIG value loss. In the $4500 Canadian range for 4 months driving (4760km) and it was only going to get worse if we held off. Soo, I don't think they are going to hold their value with age.

As I was cleaning though I did notice lots of things though that I would like to pass on.

The plastic is very susceptable to any scratch or dent you put into it and plastic rubbing plastic is a common offender. The plastic is a dirt magnet and in some places was impossible to make it completely disappear. It faded but I beleive it was actually ground into the plastic. I had the YES fabric, a waste of money I think. It was just as difficult to remove dirt as on a premium cloth seat. The fabric on the roof is very dirt sensitive. I had my dog in the back and when I went to clean the flashlight, it looked as if it had come from a vehicle that was 10 years old. Discoloration of the roof fabric had occured as well. Anything can get lost under the rear seats including dirt as it falls between the removeable liner in the rear and the seats. Dirt also falls easily down in to the spare tire well, alot of dirt. In some cases the plastic wasn't plastic, it was rubber (On the passenger seat). I suppose it needed to be flexible for a reason.

I thought the interior was completely heated! I found a port under the driver seat and there are grilles in the rear on the walls. I swear I felt warm air in the back one day. After finding the port, I think I was right.

I noticed a spot on the edge of the sunroof where it appeared that the rubber edge was lifting. Also a spot on the front edge of the passenger airbag was lifting as well and the fit of the passenger side doors is off.

Lately we noticed another few things, the front end squeaks when the struts are compressed. Every time we go over a speed bump it's there. If the Jeep leans into a dip on a turn, it's there. In some cases it sounds like in StarWars when the Millenium Falcon is being hit by the asteroids in The Empire Strikes Back. Go listen to it you'll be amazed. We told the dealership but they can't find anything. Lastly, on the way home, I made a turn off a street to head up or resident BIG hill and it starts making a high pitched sound that changes with the vehicle speed. It did eventually go away. It sounded like it was coming from the intake, but I was thinking BEARING as the engine can sound rough sometimes!

I also found an air temperature sensor. It's in the bumper, lowest set of intake holes, right of the centerline. Great candidate for a rock hit.

Well, I've edited this about 10 times now, anyhow, bye guys and enjoy your rides

Last edited by JeepNorth; 04-12-2007 at 09:37 PM..
JeepNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 05:11 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

No need to apologize for moving up to a Wrangler, that’s quite a jump. Still, trying to make a comparison between the Wrangler and a Compass is not logical. I’m not surprised that you took a big hit on the depreciation, that’s pretty standard during the first two years. I'm not saying that it isn't bigger than normal, that I don't know. I plan on having mine about 10 years and I feel sure that I’ll get my monies worth by then. The Wrangler would no more fit my needs right now than a Grand Cherokee and that’s not a slam against either one. Gas mileage being a major factor on both.

In the “Live Talk” that went on a couple of weeks ago the Wrangler owners were also complaining about how easily the plastic was scratched and the Jeep guys said “we’re always looking for better materials”, so don’t expect that to be too much different, just maybe less use of it. You won’t have a headliner to get dirty, just a soft top that will deteriorate over time. ALL plastic collects dust but my wheel well is relatively clean and over all I’ve found nothing that doesn’t appear to be quite normal. The picture that I posted of my wheel well on another thread is "as is", I had not cleaned it since I got mine in July. Judge for yourself. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388184

These items should have fell under the warrenty: “I noticed a spot on the edge of the sunroof where it appeared that the rubber edge was lifting. Also a spot on the front edge of the passenger airbag was lifting as well and the fit of the passenger side doors is off.”

When it comes to the squeaks and groans, they never show up when you’re trying to find them or show to somebody else. Every time that someone (there have been others) has brought engine or suspension noises up in the forum, I’ve try to pay especially close attention and listen for them in mine…nothing. I know that it’s not just me, my wife hasn’t complained about anything either. Maybe I got lucky!

Enjoy your Wrangler!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 04-13-2007 at 05:36 AM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
kwc
2007 MK Compass 

I did the opposite ... traded in my 2004 Wrangler X for a Compass ...

Watch the zippers on your soft top, especially the rear window. The rear window zipper is susceptible to corrosion (from road salt, etc.) and it can stick. My rear window zipper came "off track" after two years of use.

That was my only problem with my Wrangler ... except for the gas mileage. Of course I had the 4.0L straight six and not the engine you have. But I don't think your mileage will be any better, city or highway. Oh yeah, the plastic got scratches in it too.

And Gramps is right ... you can't, and shouldn't, compare the Compass to the Wrangler. Two completely different birds.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

kwc,
Thanks for the first hand info on the Wrangler and welcome to the group!

Which Compass did you get and how long have you had it?

Unread 04-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
kwc
2007 MK Compass 

thanks for the welcome!

I have a Compass Sport, 4x4, with CVT ... and I've had it since late September.

kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Ahh, so you got a snow season behind you already. Anything to report you could add on to this thread. Inquiring minds want to know.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-snow-2006-07-a-345239/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.