Change oil on Compass manual - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Change oil on Compass manual

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
ezzymo1024

Change oil on Compass manual

Hi everyone.

I've read another post on these forums concerning changing the transmission fluid in the T355 manual gearbox. It was states in that posting to not use the top fill plug, but to use the side fill plug.

Just curious as to why I should not use the top rubber fill plug to pour transmission fluid into the transmission?

Why is that wrong, and why do I need to use the side fill plug?

I know exactly how much fluid it takes (2.665 litres) and I'll be using a funnel with a long gooseneck. So what's the harm in using the top fill plug?

I've included a photo of the too fill plug. It's located beneath the air filter box.

image-3956331.jpg

ezzymo1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
mg2125
2006 WK 

Hi there,

I don't own a Patriot so forgive my ignorance, but it seems that the transmission expects a specific volume of fluid, so filling it from the top plug (without opening the lower fill plug) could lead to an overfill condition.

I found a post on another forum where the owner reports using the top fill plug to fill the transmission, until the fluid comes out of the lower fill plug. Don't know if that's the intention of having two fill plugs but it seems like a clever way of doing it.

HTH,

-Mike
mg2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
ezzymo1024

@Mike. Hi Mike. Thanks!

You're right. Filling from the top could lead to an overfill if you don't know the exact amount of fluid needed. It's printed on the bottom side of the transmission housing: 2.665 L. I just wanted to be certain that it wouldn't harm the gearbox if I filled from the top.

I'd still have the side fill plug open, but I figured filling from the top is just easier, and more accurate.

Thanks!
ezzymo1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.