CB radio for compass options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > CB radio for compass options

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-05-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
plunderisley

CB radio for compass options

I bought a CB set with a magnetic antenna. It works fine. While I was away I asked my friend to mount the antenna. He mounted it on the back plastic top of the jeep. Of course, as a CB antenna needs metal, I have almost no signal. I have a few options, but not sure how I should proceed.
I can look for a antenna that works on plastic. Are there any, and any to recommend?
or I can mount the CD antenna where the radio antenna is in the front and then where the CB is in the back (or even where the satellite radio antenna is which I can't use here) I could mount a radio antenna something similar to like a VW golf style for the radio.

What would you think/recommend is the best? I would want to use the hole already made than making another hole.

plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
HotSauceJunky
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You need to do a search for CB antennas with "no ground plane" they are designed for mounting on fiberglass/plastic vehicles. Here are some examples. I can't vouch for these antennas but I have had good luck with WalcottCB as a vendor:

http://www.walcottcb.com/cb-antennas...2_412_423.html
HotSauceJunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Where exactly is this antenna now? I'm a little confused about the details. In any case, it doesn't sound like the guy thought things through carefully so the current location of the antenna might not be the best possible. (Just guessing here, since like I said I am a little unsure of where the antenna is now.) If you are interested in getting all you can out of your CB radio, you might want to look into CB antennas, what kind of antennas work the best and what are the good and bad locations to put one. Of course, if the range of the setup is not so important to you, no worries then, just use a grounding strap to ground the antenna to the metal body of the vehicle. Or, you could look at NGP antennas.

Last edited by Tony1911; 03-09-2009 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: typo
Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
plunderisley

Its on the black back plastic top where the brake light is. I talked with a local shop and they will put a 1m CB antenna where my radio antenna is and put a radio antenna on the roof where the CB antenna is now.
plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.