Catalytic Converter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Catalytic Converter

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Gayle
2007 MK Compass 

Catalytic Converter

Has anyone had problems with a catalytic converter? Since July, I've had the transmission replaced on my 07 Compass. One catalytic converter replaced and now they're telling me the second catalytic converter has to be replaced.

Anyone else having these issues?

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

None that I recall! That's a free replacement up to 100K miles and many times beyond. Did they say what may be causing it?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Gayle
2007 MK Compass 

They are saying it's just one of those things that goes. But I started having problems in July. They diagnosed it as a transmission and I had that replaced. Since then the car has been lurching, missing, knocking and the check engine light on. Took it back in and they couldn't find anything, took it back and they found the catalytic converter. They replaced that and it cost over $600. Two days later, light is back on and now they say it is the "other" catalytic converter. How do I get the replaced at no cost up to 100K? My warranty was through 90K and didn't cover the exhaust system. Now, I have about 91K and am pouring money into. Seems like the transmission deal just set it off. Any suggestions?
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

How many miles on? I figured your emissions items would still be covered under warranty on an '07 model.

I used to be a dealership technician (not Jeep, it was Volvo, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz) and we had a saying, "Catalytic converters don't die, they're MURDERED." That means that with a properly operating engine management system upstream, the catalytic converter(s) downstream should theorectically last forever.

I think you need to enter into some consultations with a factory representative, who is not a dealership employee. There are other issues at work here.

Just my opinion.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Gayle
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks Max. How do I do that? How do I reach a factory representative?
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Thanks Max. How do I do that? How do I reach a factory representative?
There should be some instructions in your owner's manual, or warranty book. You may also be able to find out online. If not, the dealership is obligated to arrange a meeting with a factory service rep.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Hope this helps.

1. HowStuffWorks "How do I know if my catalytic converter has failed?"

2. http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

3. IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE
The manufacturer and its dealers are vitally interested in your satisfaction. We want you to be happy with our products and services.

Warranty service must be done by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer. We strongly recommend that you take your vehicle to your selling dealer. They know you and your vehicle best, and are most concerned
that you get prompt and high quality service. The manufacturer’s dealers have the facilities, factory-trainedtechnicians, special tools, and the latest information to assure your vehicle is fixed correctly and in a timely manner.
This is why you should always talk to your dealer’s service manager first. Most matters can be resolved with this process.

If for some reason you are still not satisfied, talk to the
general manager or owner of the dealership. They
want to know if you need assistance.

If your dealership is unable to resolve the concern, you may contact the Manufacturer’s Customer Center. Any communication to the Manufacturer’s Customer Center should include the following information:

Owner’s name and address
Owner’s telephone number (home and office)
Dealership name
Vehicle identification number
Vehicle delivery date and mileage

US
DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation Customer Center
P.O. Box 21–8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321–8004
Phone: (800) 992-1997

Canada
DaimlerChrysler Canada Inc. Customer Center
P.O. Box 1621
Windsor, Ontario N9A 4H6
Phone —(800) 465–2001

In Mexico contact
Av. Prolongacion Paseo de la Reforma, 1240
Sante Fe C.P. 05109
Mexico, D. F.
In Mexico (915) 729–1248 or 729–1240[/LEFT]
Outside Mexico (525) 729–1248 or 729–1240

Unread 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Gayle
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks so much. Well, I just turned 90K, so I don't make the 80K requirement. But I talked to the dealer and Chrysler is going to cover the second converter and he said the issue is catalyst efficiency. Said they should have done both the first time, but couldn't really see a problem with the second one. He said my engine looks good, not yucky oil etc. that would indicate a problem. In this case, they said they think the converter just went bad. Thoughts?
Unread 12-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Our 99 XJ Cherokee has 190k km on it and I think the catalytic Converter needs replacing but after reading the link on How it Works, I'm confused. I get a noise like broken plates inside rattling especially when idling at a stop light. Maybe the muffler needs replacing instead.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Mike, yours is falling apart internally. Time to replace it. here's some better "internal" shots of it. Catalytic Converter Converters are a big business just like mufflers. The run hot, you drive through water or snow and they can internally "shatter" a little bit at a time. The broken glass noise is probably the beads rattling around. I've also had to punch holes in converters just so the people could drive home they were plugged so bad.

Gayle, I'm surprised that the dealer didn't run a diagnostic and check codes on yours. That should have given them some idea as to the cause. Bad computers (engine control modules, transmission control modules and certainly the O1 sensors) can cause converters to go bad.

Jeep had a recall on a Grand Cherokee that we used to have and replaced the converter, for free, at about 120K.

Unread 12-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Gayle
2007 MK Compass 

I've searched and can't find any recalls. I'll definitely ask to see a print out of the diagnostics and see what codes appear. I can't help but wonder about the transmission control module. I will ask about that. Thanks so much for your help.
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Gayle
2007 MK Compass 

Mike, I had that broken plates sound when I stopped at a light and it was idling. It was definitely the converter.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
McVey

Yes

I had my transmission replace at 68,000 miles and a catalytic converter and now I am told I need another catalytic converter.
McVey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.