JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Carbon Build-up Throttle Body (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/carbon-build-up-throttle-body-512343/)

Mistyfate 01-26-2008 07:16 AM

Carbon Build-up Throttle Body
 
So I took my Compass in for a routine oil change (I have over 14,000 miles by now) and Jeep ran some type of free diagnostic check.

They found that I had too much carbon build up in my throttle body.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what exactly causes the carbon to excessively build up in the throttle?

All of my driving is highway...and I can put upwards to 80 miles on the vehicle in a given day.

I also had the problem with the engine stumbling upon ignition (I read the thread...brought the TSB to the dealer and had that problem fixed) and I did not know if that could have had anything to do with it.

The dealer said that it could have been a "bad" batch of gas...but could 1 bad batch of gas do that? I fill up at least twice a week.

Any help/ info is greatly appreciated!

Gramps 01-26-2008 07:26 AM

Carbon build up is just like creosote in the chimney, the fires not hot enough and you need to burn it out on a regular basis so that you don't get too much build up. Not having it reach normal operating temp causes this. You do the miles but do you ever REALLY stick your foot into it and run up to 4, 5, 6K rpm? That could help it stay cleaned out. One tank of bad gas won't do it but a steady feed of bad gas will. Some have good luck with running a little higher octane, the mid range.

indianrefining 01-26-2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistyfate
So I took my Compass in for a routine oil change (I have over 14,000 miles by now) and Jeep ran some type of free diagnostic check.

They found that I had too much carbon build up in my throttle body.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what exactly causes the carbon to excessively build up in the throttle?

All of my driving is highway...and I can put upwards to 80 miles on the vehicle in a given day.

I also had the problem with the engine stumbling upon ignition (I read the thread...brought the TSB to the dealer and had that problem fixed) and I did not know if that could have had anything to do with it.

The dealer said that it could have been a "bad" batch of gas...but could 1 bad batch of gas do that? I fill up at least twice a week.

Any help/ info is greatly appreciated!

Where have you been buying your gasoline? Steer clear of "cut-rates" and buy from "majors" (i.e., Texaco, Chevron, Shell, BP, etc.). And throw in a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner and Conditioner every 3,000 miles, or so. ;)

CharBroiled 01-26-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps
Carbon build up is just like creosote in the chimney, the fires not hot enough and you need to burn it out on a regular basis so that you don't get too much build up. Not having it reach normal operating temp causes this. You do the miles but do you ever REALLY stick your foot into it and run up to 4, 5, 6K rpm? That could help it stay cleaned out. One tank of bad gas won't do it but a steady feed of bad gas will. Some have good luck with running a little higher octane, the mid range.

x2 on putting your foot into it. my wife babies it so at least once a week I drive it and let it wind on the back roads. love the way it sounds at 6k rpm too and cleaning carbon out is the perfect excuse :)

Ive always wound out all my cars once a week or so.

unibus 01-26-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistyfate
So I took my Compass in for a routine oil change (I have over 14,000 miles by now) and Jeep ran some type of free diagnostic check.

They found that I had too much carbon build up in my throttle body.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what exactly causes the carbon to excessively build up in the throttle?

All of my driving is highway...and I can put upwards to 80 miles on the vehicle in a given day.

I also had the problem with the engine stumbling upon ignition (I read the thread...brought the TSB to the dealer and had that problem fixed) and I did not know if that could have had anything to do with it.

The dealer said that it could have been a "bad" batch of gas...but could 1 bad batch of gas do that? I fill up at least twice a week.

Any help/ info is greatly appreciated!


Free diagnostic check = carbon in throttle body!.... Watch out for the next trip where they adjust the fender linkage.

You need to take your car to a different dealer.


Just my opinion.....

Chriztofor 01-26-2008 09:33 AM

Free Diagnostic check my butt
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by unibus
Free diagnostic check = carbon in throttle body!.... Watch out for the next trip where they adjust the fender linkage.

You need to take your car to a different dealer.


Just my opinion.....

Plus 2...whenever a dealer (stealer) wants to give you anything free just hold on to your wallet! How much did he charge to clean out the throttle body? If he is saying this at 14,000 miles...just wait until you reach 100,000 miles!

aquaholic_ 01-27-2008 10:00 AM

your carbon buildup is from crap gas. octane has NOTHING to do with it. run "top tier fuel". you problem will not return. do an internet search for top tier fuels and buy from those manufacturers.

Zues Greason 01-27-2008 10:21 AM

Sounds like you didn't have a problem in the first place. You simply went in for an oil change and all of a sudden you have to much carbon in the throttle body. That is b/s, if your jeep wasn't acting funny on the highway or anywhere else and your throttle response is good you probably don't have a problem. You said you drive on the HW alot, that is plenty to get carbon out of your engine. Next time if they tell you you have a problem ask them to show you were the build up is when they clean it out. Also tell them to explain the whole system to you. If it sounds like b/s it probably is. Don't be embarrassed to ask dumb questions not everyone is a pro mech. The more questions you ask the more they will have to tap dance. It is all in the proof.

Mistyfate 01-30-2008 05:44 PM

I generally get gas from Exxon, Mobile, Shell...or other generally familiar gas places.

and when I drive...I have a lead foot...especially when I have to accelerate onto a highway (which I do multiple times a day). Although I find myself gasing it more often now...bc I have a new reason to! :2thumbsup:

I don't really like the dealer that I go to...I just go because it is conveniently close.

My parents were the ones dealing with the dealership when I was at work, so I didn't know of the problem with the carbon...or the charge (I think it was around $100) until I picked the car up from my parents house to bring it back to my home at night. When my mother told me...my initial thought was that it was a bunch of B/S.

They also suggested doing something with the differential when I originally called to make the service appointment, but they told me it would be over $300 and I said no thanks.

Thank you everyone for all your advice!

Gramps 01-30-2008 06:10 PM

I would NEVER go back to that dealer again. Rip-off city! :thumbdown:

indianrefining 01-31-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistyfate
I generally get gas from Exxon, Mobile, Shell...or other generally familiar gas places.

and when I drive...I have a lead foot...especially when I have to accelerate onto a highway (which I do multiple times a day). Although I find myself gasing it more often now...bc I have a new reason to! :2thumbsup:

I don't really like the dealer that I go to...I just go because it is conveniently close.

My parents were the ones dealing with the dealership when I was at work, so I didn't know of the problem with the carbon...or the charge (I think it was around $100) until I picked the car up from my parents house to bring it back to my home at night. When my mother told me...my initial thought was that it was a bunch of B/S.

They also suggested doing something with the differential when I originally called to make the service appointment, but they told me it would be over $300 and I said no thanks.

Thank you everyone for all your advice!

Do they also want to wash your hair and paint your toe nails? :p

Jeepster55 02-02-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistyfate
I don't really like the dealer that I go to...I just go because it is conveniently close.

I didn't know of the problem with the carbon...or the charge (I think it was around $100) until I picked the car up from my parents house to bring it back to my home at night. When my mother told me...my initial thought was that it was a bunch of B/S.

They also suggested doing something with the differential when I originally called to make the service appointment, but they told me it would be over $300 and I said no thanks.

wise decision.....i don't know if you could get in trouble, but if it were ME, i would post the NAME of the Dealership along with the city and state they are located. just to make others be aware of what they may be in store for should they take their Jeeps to them for service......

hey Gramps....since you're a 'moderator' for JeepForum.com, what do you think of a thread for posting "Good Dealerships/Bad Dealerships" for ALL Jeep owners???? (or is there one already?...my bad, i should have 'looked before i leaped', huh?)

Gramps 02-02-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepster55
wise decision.....i don't know if you could get in trouble, but if it were ME, i would post the NAME of the Dealership along with the city and state they are located. just to make others be aware of what they may be in store for should they take their Jeeps to them for service......

hey Gramps....since you're a 'moderator' for JeepForum.com, what do you think of a thread for posting "Good Dealerships/Bad Dealerships" for ALL Jeep owners???? (or is there one already?...my bad, i should have 'looked before i leaped', huh?)

UNFORTUNATLY the dealerships would have to be convicted of something or it would open the door for JF to be sued for slander, I think but Ill check into it. A problem would be is if somebody had one bad experience, in their opinion, does that make for a bad dealer? I think that those of us who like the MK can certainly relate to how others opinions sometimes don't have credibility. As far as saying in your post what dealer did not resolve a problem or treated you poorly is perfectly acceptable. Just like I'm happy to say that I have Frank Boucher in Janesville, Don Miller in Madison and Sun Prairie and Kayser in Stoughton. :thumbsup: They're all great!

Jeepster55- who do you work for?

rneal55555 02-03-2008 05:13 PM

As aquaholic said Check out http://www.toptiergas.com/ after reading through it I'm a believer and it's worth the couple of cents a gallon in my opinion. A key point is that all grades of their gas have to meet the standard to get certified.


The time now is 03:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.