Capabilit of the Compass (with action pic) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Capabilit of the Compass (with action pic)

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-27-2006, 09:26 AM   #46
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
Don't take that as an attack, nothing personal against ANYBODY. Everybody wants the best that their money can buy and you can't buy very much that's made in the USA any more.

I'm off my soap box now.

DC is German??? When did that happen? OK, I'll take the blinders off. May Walter P. rest in peace.
No, no, I didn't take it as an attack, I'm just discussing/debating. It's all good my friend

As for DC and when, I dunno, probably when a big German company called Daimler-Benz bought them

(I don't care how much you call a buyout a "merger", when the top dogs are in Germany, it's a buyout).

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #47
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Ahh, denial can be a good thing!

"What's the use in being crazy if you can't have a little fun with it" Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind

Hypothetical questions about the CVT2:

Since there are no "gears", is top end in Reverse the same as in Drive?

and

Can you "pre-load" the trans for getting off the line quicker by brake torquing it?

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #48
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

CVT - Mexican made !!!

The only part that wories me on my Compass is the CVT. It does drive "different".
I am passed the shifting days. Did it for 20 years.

I've been driving past the new World Engine Plant in Dundee Mi. the last couple of days. I have a friend who works there. Yes Mitsubisi and Hundi are involved but they are good jobs anyway.

Hell, I do have an old BMW 325 in the garage with lots of miles on it. Still purrs.
The girlfriend drives an old Honda.

All in good fun!
ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2006, 04:17 AM   #49
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I love the fact that the CVT doesn't shift, it's so smooth and you're always in the right gear. There's no constant up and down shifting when you're in traffic doing between 20 and 30 mph when the trans doesn't know if it wants 1st or 2nd gear. I've noticed too that while others are shifting, either manual or automatic, I'm pulling past them. I've also found that if you turn the radio up you can ignore the fact that it doesn't shift.

I'm less than an hour away from the Belvidere plant where the Caliber, Compass and Patriot are assembled. With 3 shifts running to try and keep up with the demand it's great to have the jobs in the area. We've got a Chevy plant in the area too and they are ALWAYS worried about lay-offs and plant closures.

True confessions: I've had an MG Midget, Honda Civic, Yamaha 400 and a Toyota FJ40, all bought used. I've also built several VW sand rails and buggies. Also, all in good fun!

Last edited by Gramps; 09-28-2006 at 05:12 AM..
Unread 10-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #50
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

Wonderfull on back roads and twisty blacktop.

My Compass drives great on back roads. It floates over the bumps well. This may have something to do with the aluminum block/head engine. Less weight to control.

The CVT allows smooth operation of the drive train. Longer life for the engine and drivetrain.

Im changing to Mobil 1 soon. Book says 6000 normal operation. Just over 4k now.

The Compass handles well on twisty blacktop too. A very good balance between dirt and pavment.

We will see how the 4 x 4 / lock works in snow.
ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2006, 05:46 AM   #51
Kev M
2012 WK 

I'm glad to hear the Compass engine and assembly plants are running full shift with jobs for Americans!

I have to admit, I've got a pang of guilt for buying A Japanese car, but AT LEAST the Baja was built in Lafayette Indiana, for what it's worth.

Still, I KNOW we'll be buying another Jeep in the future.

I'm not getting rid of my scruffy-face Jeep Cap, that's for damn sure.

Kev
Unread 10-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #52
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's a friendlier than most review from The Car Connection. A "little" more detail about running in the mud and snow than I've found elsewhere. I thought that it was worth passing on.

Oh, BTW, the rear bumper works quite well when you get rear ended at about 5 MPH or so. Not even a scratch.

It's kinda funny. Everybody seems to want more power but, I'm not sure what I would do with it. It's got more than enough for daily commutes and freeway trips and I've told you how I drive. So, more power, heavier foot, less gas mileage? I would really be unhappy about that! It really seems to be well balanced between fuel economy and power.

Last edited by Gramps; 10-06-2006 at 06:45 AM..
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #53
Den.

Can't says it's going to be a joke: as it already is. Sad how Jeep can be diluted to nothingness...
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:01 AM   #54
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den.
Can't says it's going to be a joke: as it already is. Sad how Jeep can be diluted to nothingness...

Another genius post.
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:33 AM   #55
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yup, a another new and valuable insight. Innovation is such a terrible thing.

BTW have you noticed on the ads for Mercedes that pretty much all of the safety features have been incorporated into the Compass?
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:36 AM   #56
Kev M
2012 WK 

You mean those Daimler ads where they talk about stability control, ABS etc?
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #57
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Ya Kev. What do you think? Did they go frugal on some things to upgrade the safety?
Unread 10-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #58
Kev M
2012 WK 

Safety is an interesting topic.

I'm all for making vehicles with better capabilities, but there does come a point when you try to make them idiot proof where I start to become unhappy with the machine's interference with my actions.

Case in point, I almost ALWAYS shut off the traction control as soon as I start my wife's Mini.

It engages a little too easily and for WAY too long a delay (even in the dry) where a little wheel spin wouldn't have been an issue.

So I guess it depends on how much and how it is carried out.

As for the "frugal" materials, like I've posted elsewhere on the subject, they seem tough and durable, so I've sorta changed my intial impression on em.
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #59
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Unfortunately, you can't outlaw stupidity but you can regulate safety.
Unread 10-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #60
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampsmopar
Unfortunately, you can't outlaw stupidity but you can regulate safety.

That's a whole other discussion.

But either way you need to have balance.

You can keep the stupid ones from driving with tougher testing standards and actual SAFETY enforcement, instead of just revenue generating BS speeding tickets.

Constantly pandering to the lowest common-denomonator just dumbs down society.

But I'm going way off-topic.

With the changing seasons, I'm looking forward to hearing some winter weather feedback on the Compass. That will tell us quite a bit about the "capabilities"

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.