Capabilit of the Compass (with action pic) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Capabilit of the Compass (with action pic)

Clayton Off Road WJ Skid Plate TestingIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 08-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #31
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsip
You the first Compass owner on here? If so, congrats! I saw my first one yesterday in Washington, DC. Was dark blue.
It looks that way, thanks for the congrats. Guess that I love whips and chains

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #32
djplong

In a couple of months, I might buy one.. In another thread I'll be posting how I got to this possibility. Just discovered this forum while researching the Compass so I'm just getting my feet wet here.
djplong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2006, 04:18 AM   #33
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm a newbie too, not sure which thread that I should be in, maybe I should start a new one like "owners report" or something. Appears that most of the threads could be called "Compass Bashing 101, 102, 103, ...." and I was looking for Tech info There is some good information in here if you read all of the threads but there's also a lot of opinions from people that haven't had a "hands on" with it. She doesn't look like the classic Jeep but, I don't consider that a bad thing. Every thing that I've ever driven has been a little different and I like it that way. I'll be posting more as the miles roll up. I love my Compass, sure has the Caliber beat for what I wanted and you'll find out why.

Last edited by Gramps; 08-05-2006 at 04:42 AM..
Unread 08-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #34
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush
Oh and PS...
"But when things get deeper, steeper and more slippery, Freedom Drive I has a lockable center coupling, giving drivers the option of putting the Compass in four-wheel drive lock mode."

It does have a 4x4 mode, not just selctive AWD.

No, it has AWD with a selectable locking center differential. 4x4 means you can go from 2 drive wheels to having 4 drive wheels WITH a selectable low range.

What the Compass has is nothing different then what is found in almost any Subaru, and I highly doubt you would consider that a 4x4...

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #35
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You can get as deep in to definitions as you want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_wheel_drive
Unread 08-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #36
Kev M
2012 WK 

OK, I might as well chime in here.

I'm the proud and happy owner of an 1998 XJ (Cherokee Classic) Pavement Queen!

I ride motorcycles A LOT, and I tow a smallish boat when I can, so I only drive maybe 6k miles a year.

There's a lot I like about my XJ, but had I bought it new I would have optioned it for a little more comfort. And I built it a bit too rugged for daily use. Heavy duty springs and timbren overloads make for a ride more bouncy than your average TJ.

What I REALLY don't like is seeing 16 mpg on the display info center.

I was seriously thinking about a Diesel Libby, but I don't have the scratch. And though the Deisel GC sounds good for 08, it's still not as high up as I want to see fuel economy.

So I am REALLY, REALLY, REALLY excited about the possibility of picking up a Compass.

I've already got a price on the package I'd want, and heck, at least I'd wind up with a 5 speed again!

Since I got enough toys, I may even let the XJ go.

Call the Compass a cross-over, a cute ute, a chick ute, I could care less.

If it gives me heated leather seats and a kick !@#@#$ stereo and 29 mpg when heading for the slopes, yet will tow a small cargo trailer or my boat once in a while (good thing it's a SMALL boat) then I'm happy.

And, sales like that are good for DC, the mark needs the business, Jeep included.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #37
mossberg

It doesnt have to be a wrangler to be good, all we want is solid axle suspension. And if you put axle locks on both ends we (wrangler elitists) will go crazy. And that car could use a little more clearance, too.

And 1 more thing: one cause for all the hate is marketing it like its a mitsubishi eclipse.
mossberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 08:22 AM   #38
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossberg
And 1 more thing: one cause for all the hate is marketing it like its a mitsubishi eclipse.
But maybe that's the customer they're shooting for.

Bring more into the fold.

Who knows, maybe some of them will buy a Wrangler too eventually.
Unread 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #39
Mistyfate

I am the target market (Female...twenties...yada yada yada) and i think the marketing is horrendous!

I dont like the bobble heads at all.

and still i havent seen many of those commercials.

i first saw the compass on the jeep website...since i was actively scouting vehicle websites (well as "active" as one can be) and stumbled upon it. I guess i had lucky timing.

i was really impressed about everything jeep was offerring at such a great price.

Now i have to deal with people i know asking "do you have a bobble head in your car?" to which i emphatically reply "NO".

I'm looking forward to see published safety ratings. (I'm not on the up and up...so whenever they are published I hope i see the posts...to keep myself apprised)

I also noticed that the Compass tends to sell itself. I've only encounted two around town in my travels...but it seems as if whenever I get out of the Compass there are always interested neighbors/strangers - and everyone seems to like the general look of the Compass and when I get into all of the options and features they become true fans. I have on neighbor (who owns a wrangler) say that he was seriously considering buying the Compass...and whenever I run into him he is always asking about my lil truck.
Mistyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #40
mr_user

You could do the same thing in any AWD grocery getter.

Buy a Subaru.

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 06:16 AM   #41
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Felner
Buy a Subaru.
WHY?

and I'm asking seriously, because if the XJ sells I've been SERIOUSLY considering a Baja or a Compass. I've gotten serious quotes from two local dealers which basically come out to as well equipped 5-speed models as can be had, optioned or accessoried and they are basically a wash out the door.

*Both have AWD

*Engine size and power is VERY similar - so what's better - flat or inline 4. The scoobie is an interference timing belt motor how about the Compass?

*Towing capacity (which is important to me) is similar 2400 lbs vs. 2000

*Mileage is similar but slight advantage Compass(quoting with 5-speeds) 23/28 vs 26/29

Unique features that are not available, even as an option on the other model

Baja -

Bed and passthrough

Compass -

Tire pressure monitoring system and trip computer (driver info center)
Full-size spare
Rear windows that roll down ALL the way
Steering wheel audio controls
Built in Sirius Satellite Radio
MP3 audio jack
AC voltage jack
Front passenger seat that folds flat for additional cargo room with long items

I would have listed heated leather seats too, but the local Scoobie dealer was willing to install them for me if we go that route.

I could also compare to the Forester, but I don't like the body-style as much. The only advantage the Forester would have over the Baja is that the heated leather seats are avaialble from the factory at a trim level where I could still get the 5-speed. Past that prices start to increase dramatically on the Forester, yet it still doesn't have most of those additional items I've listed for the Compass.

If the Compass wasn't so well appointed for the price, I might very well be buying a Subaru instead.

But the price vs. amenities (from a company that I already like) is a very compelling combination.

Kev
Unread 09-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #42
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

Buy American!

Times are getting tougher all the time here in Michigan. Jeep makes a good product. I bought a compass with the auto stick and I love it.

I would buy a Limited if I were you, I did to get the good seats and Auto-stick.

We need everyones help to keep the good jobs in this country!
ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #43
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Buy American!

Pretty soon the Chinese will be here with their cheap disposable cars, too. They started out the same way that the Japanese did 50 years ago, selling all kinds of cheap crap that you would throw away in 2 or 3 months and buy another one because they were so cheap. Made in Japan was a joke back then and now look at them. They made enough money by doing that they then started building something with some quality in it that it is eating our lunch. The Chinese will do it, too. If you have any doubts just start reading the labels, not on food but, where it's made. You can't find much of anything that doesn't say made in China at Wal-Mart and most other discount stores.

But you say "those cars are built in the US not Japan". You're right, American workers who could be working for American companies but they're not because our car companies have lost a lot of business, DC is some what of an exception. The profits that they're raking in are going to the home country with tax breaks because of foreign investment credits that we the tax payers end up paying for out of our pockets.

The politics of economics, a very sore subject!

Sorry, I'm just old and cynical.

Last edited by Gramps; 09-26-2006 at 07:13 PM..
Unread 09-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #44
Kev M
2012 WK 

Hey hey hey ....

For the record.

I've bought EVERY BMW or Moto Guzzi motorcycle I ever owned USED

and I've bought THREE NEW HARLEYS!

I bought a Saturn when they were brand new.

I've bought 2 Jeeps.

Yeah, I bought my wife a Mini Cooper, but that's what she wanted (and I don't blame her it's a great car, but remember "happy wife = happy life").

I've always been a firm believer in buying American. Searched forever for an American TV nearly a decade ago, paid a little more for it too. Now, well, that's impossible.

THING IS, DC is a GERMAN company now, so don't fool yourselves.

If I WAS SERIOUS about buying American, shouldn't I REALLY be buying a Chevy or a Ford (and before you answer that, I gave SERIOUS consideration to a Chevy Equinox, but it's a bit pricey with worse fuel mileage).

Anyway, I stopped at the dealer this morning to pick up a part for the Cherokee because I have someone who is interested in it.

While I was there I asked them about prices for the Compass.

Since I bought my last 2 Jeeps there the sales manager rememberd me and just entered the order, printed it out from their computer and handed it to me.

Told me he'd give me straight Invoice MINUS holdback on any order.

We'll see what happens if the Cherokee sells!!!

I'll keep you posted.

Kev
Unread 09-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #45
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Don't take that as an attack, nothing personal against ANYBODY. Everybody wants the best that their money can buy and you can't buy very much that's made in the USA any more.

I'm off my soap box now.

DC is German??? When did that happen? OK, I'll take the blinders off. May Walter P. rest in peace.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.