Canvas luggage carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Canvas luggage carrier

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Canvas luggage carrier

I have a canvas luggage carrier that was sold to my sister for her 2002 Liberty. It attaches to the roof of her liberty with straps, whcih went around the liberty roof bars.
The compass has only a sold, plastic bar with no clearance underneath. According to the local Jeep dealer, to use that carrier, I have to buy a sport bar package, which costs 225 dollars?
1. Is that correct and if so, should it cost 225 dollars for a couple plastic bars?
2. Can I install myself, if I buy this kit?

thanks

Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Elihawk they're not plastic. Here are some shots of mine. Quite easy to install. Wyckoff has them for $197 but you'll have to pay shipping and wait. Your dealer may match the price if you print and show them the internet page but then you'll pay tax. Also check eBay.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/sport-bars-baskets-mks-568821/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Just in case someone else has this issue, the Sport Utility bars are NOT compatible with the canvas luggage carrier that was designed for the Liberty. Even though the Utility bars give you something to attach the straps around, we found that the carrier would not secure tight enough and would flap in the wind (and potentially scratch the top)
Unread 07-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
PirateKatz

Can anyone recommend a good hard or soft top roof carrier for the Compass? I have the two cross bars from Mopar but when I looked up the '08 Compass on both Yakima and Thule websites, nothing came up as compatible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

I will let the experts chime in, but I was at the dealer the other day and the Jeep cat. has three options, if I remember correctly. One was a "half, hard carrier", two was a full hard carrier and they had a soft carrier as well (about 125 dollars). I think the hard carriers were 200+ and close to 400 dollars.

Last edited by Elihawk; 07-09-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.