Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Can i add the tyre presure sensor?

2K views 25 replies 3 participants last post by  Gramps 
#1 ·
Hi, i want to know if it possible to add the tyre presure sensor to my jeep compass. I dont know what you need to know, if you want the VIN number is: 1J8FFF7WX7D293388

Thanks,

Ariel

#3 ·
The factory TPMS is part of the EVIC that also includes Compass, Temperature, MPG and some other features. I have seen listings, including MOPAR, for add on systems. I was going to go find links to them but haven't had the time.

#4 ·
pszemia,

Check out these links and see if there is anything that you like.

Systems:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/smartire/smartire2.jsp

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rcaNQ88SOlP/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=308450&avf=N

http://www.doranmfg.com/tire_pressure_wireless.htm

http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=2040&tid=44

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/a-device...p2-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-276351.php

Probably not what you're looking for but much cheaper! ;)

Valve stem caps:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-2021209-3471356?asin=B00084IBOA&AFID=Yahoo&LNM=B00084IBOA|Tire_Pressure_Valve_Caps__Set_of_4_36_lb.&ref=tgt_adv_XPYD0100

http://www.ptcruiserclubstore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1810

#6 ·
You have the EVIC? I'm really confused :confused: . You don't have the Auto Dimming Mirror either. How is yours equipped? Do you have the Compass, Temperature or Audio Mode? When you push in on the button under the Speedometer how many options does it give you to change if you just keep pushing it?

Does your dash look anything like mine? Pics start at post 30 on this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328970

#7 ·
same functions on the EVIC, it's seems that the jeep compass delivered to Argentina are the ones that goes to EUROPE.

That's why i have exterior heated mirror and rear head rest regulable and central rear headrest.

the only thing i don't have is the tyre pressure information, but i have:

MAIN SCREEN: AUDIO STATION / COMPASS / EXT. TEMPERATURE
SECOND SCREEN: Personalized functions:
language/door opens remote (1/all)/light delay/etc. (i can't remember everyone)
THIRD SCREEN: Consume of fuel
FOUR SCREEN: elapsed time

the order is by memory, i don't have here the jeep.

That's why i always was asking about equipment, because i think here should be some cables.

The TMPS light doesn't turn on when i put the key in ACC, but i think the system is disabled somehow.

mm.. i think i dont forget anything. that's why i posted the VIN number

byeee

thanks..

ariel

#13 ·
pszemia said:
what are the "wheel arches", where should it be? or where can i check if i have the wiring or the whole system less the transponder. i mean, maybe my system is capable but the parts are not installed.

Thanks
The "wheel arches" are also called the "wheel wells" and "wheel house". You get to them by removing the push pins at the outer edge of the wheel well lip and removing the splash shields. As noted below, there is not a transponder located at the right front housing. The left front is mounted at the rear of the wheel well and the rears are mounted at the front of the wheel wells.

A transponder, sometimes referred to as a trigger module, is located in three of the four wheel wells (behind the wheelhouse splash shields) of a vehicle equipped with Premium TPM. These transponders are used to provide the Wireless Control Module (WCM), commonly referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM), with the location of the tire pressure sensors on the vehicle. A fourth transponder is not necessary in the remaining wheel well due to the process-of-elimination theory. Once the system knows the location of the first three sensors it assumes the location of the fourth tire pressure sensor. On this vehicle, there is a transponder located in the left front, left rear, and right rear wheelhouse. There is not a transponder located in the right front wheelhouse.

Thanks Merlin!!

#15 ·
I would do the left front. I think that you could just pop the rear of the splash shield loose and take a peek :peaking: in there to see if any of the pieces are in there.

These are the common keys for the MK's. You have the one on top but without the red panic button? :confused:

I really appreciate merlin helping on this :thankyou: because I don't have a lot of access to export information, but I'll do what I can.

Attachments

#16 ·
you just said that, the same upper key but without the panic button. thought it was strange, because of the premium alarm system, but maybe to reduce costs, i don't know.

But i have 2 equal keys, i mean, two upper keys like yours, not the other one, that's a good point i think.

in relation to the transponder i will search for it tomorrow, trying not break anything.

Also, i forgot, the rear parking sensor that was on sale at those web sites you gave me, include just the sensor and a chime or some kind of light to warn you?

Thanks!!

#17 ·
pszemia said:
you just said that, the same upper key but without the panic button. thought it was strange, because of the premium alarm system, but maybe to reduce costs, i don't know.

But i have 2 equal keys, i mean, two upper keys like yours, not the other one, that's a good point i think.

in relation to the transponder i will search for it tomorrow, trying not break anything.
I'll try and find some info on this but frankly I'm not sure where to look. Have you talked to the parts department guys where you bought yours? They may be able to narrow down what needs to be added to get what you need.

pszemia said:
Also, i forgot, the rear parking sensor that was on sale at those web sites you gave me, include just the sensor and a chime or some kind of light to warn you?

Thanks!!
Which site was it? I didn't look at anything other than the TPMS units.

#19 ·
mmm.. wired.. i live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

So merlin, i should check where the plug or the transponder should be to check about that.

if you need any other equipment refernece i can tell you

Jeep compass 4x4 limited
jeep green
CVT2 with autostick
sliding roof
exterior mirrors foldable with antifog
EVIC
18" wheels
leather seats
premium alarm

i don't know what else you need to know more about my configuration..

Thanks.

Ariel

#22 ·
Have you been able to talk with the parts department at your dealership? They may be able to provide you with a lot of information and some part numbers. merlinTec has been quite helpful since your VIN indicates that it was built to Euro specs but you will still need to check with the dealer to find out if they have to program the computers to read them.

#23 ·
hi gramps, yes i tried, but they says like always happen here, the equipment is not available and they dont give you anything, that's why i always try to find things in forums.

I want to know, if my compass was built as Euro Spec (i live in Argentina), i can add just the sensors and thats all, and somehow to chekc if the EVIC is ready.

thanksss

#24 ·
Hi
Looked a bit more for you. You can’t program the WCM to enable or disable TPM like you can with a KJ. But I went into parts with your VIN and they list 4or 5 WCM with the different part numbers. So I would guess you have to replace the WCM to one with TPM. If you had one with a base system you shouldn’t need the transponders just a WCM and the sensors. My only concern is if you then get a mismatch with the modules. Waiting for one to come in with TPM but not that common yet. I did think they all had them in the UK but the one in the show room and the one I was doing a PDI on doesn’t. We haven’t sold that many so not much more I can tell you. If it was a UK car I would contact technical to see what was needed so I suggest you ask your dealer to do the same and contact there technical department. You will then know for sure if it can be done and what is needed.
Regards,
Merlin

#25 ·
really thanks for this merlin, now you say i need to change some electronic parts, it seems to be very difficult, so i will just stay like this, and not make the changes.

i thought it was easyer, and they where all prepared for this.

the technical support here is a totally disaster, so i will just stay like this.

THANKS FOR ALL, REALLY!

Ariel

#26 ·
pszemia,
Sorry to hear that you have such a disinterested dealer!! I am blessed with a parts guy that I get along with when I'm able to see him. I think that he is intrigued by the strange questions that I come up with.

Merlin,
Thanks again for your help! Have you checked your pm's lately?

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.