A/C and external temp sensor problems and car won't accelerate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > A/C and external temp sensor problems and car won't accelerate

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
gajeepchick
2008 MK Patriot 

A/C and external temp sensor problems and car won't accelerate

Hi fellow Jeep fans,
I have had my '08 Patriot since October, and now things are starting to malfunction. Has anyone has similar experiences as my dealer thinks I am dreaming these problems up since no one has reported them before?
1. It can be 95 degrees outside but the external temperature reads 74-77 for hours? (They did finally agree to reply the temp sensor under the warantee and this problem did resolve).
2. On max AC, the car does not cool. They did a software upgrade and tested the system for a leak, but I am still sweating when I drive the car in the afternoons despite them telling me the car is cool and the AC is working "fine."
3. The car does not accelerate up hills or when you have to accelerate into moving traffic. There are no warning lights on. You have to press the accelerator to the floor to get up a hill or to merge into traffic on the interstate safely. If you drive on a flat surface, you can accelerate fine, and once you get going the ride is comfortable. Jeep will not "let the technician fix the problem" unless he can duplicate it, so I took him on a test drive, and he gave me a driving lesson instead about how to press the gas pedal. I have had the car for months, so my "acceleration technique" is not the issue.
Thanks for any advice or helpful tips that anyone can offer. Glad to be a part of the forum

gajeepchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

I've noticed that it does take a while for the A/C to really make the vehicle feel 'cool'. I have always chalked that up to there being so much interior space for that A/C to fill with cold air compared to a car which would have a much smaller passenger compartment. On longer drives (over 45 minutes or so) my Compass gets pretty cool and we'll even turn the fan down to the lowest setting to allow it just to keep circulating air rather then working to actively cool the Jeep.

With the acceleration issue, I know there are plenty of threads on here of people reporting similar sounding problems. Starting from a dead stop, it does take a while to get moving. If you have the CVT I've just recently found that you can really press the pedal down going uphill and the rpms may peg until the transmission finds the right ratio for the gearing and then the rpms drop and you can really move pretty well. For the longest time, I was watching the rpm gage and trying to keep the rpms down around 1500 - 2500 while driving in most conditions and while that gave me decent mileage on that flats, the Jeep felt like a slug going uphill. Now, not worrying about the rpms and letting the CVT do the work, I'm zipping up some decent hills easily at 50mph.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a problem with your Patriot in the acceleration department, but check out many of the posts here dealing with the CVT and acceleration and you'll see that many people have had and asked similar questions regarding that.

Welcome to the Forums!

Last edited by Zappy; 08-06-2008 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling... not enough caffiene
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Are you using the "recirculate" button too on the A/C? It'll help cool things off much more quickly.

With the '08's the CVT came standard with the AutoStick, try tapping it down a gear or 2 for better acceleration on hills, etc. Once you're up to speed just hold the shifter to the right and it'll go back into Drive. The biggest complaint on the CVT is lack of low end performance, perceived or otherwise.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
snood
2007 MK Compass 

if you are like me with a standard...good luck I am still trying to find the problem
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I have noticed the acceleration issue a lot on my Caliber R/T FWD CVT. (what a name!) Anyway, I can push it to the floor and the car will not accelerate. My thinking is it has something to do with the drive by wire system in it and the computer trying to decide when best to accelerate... I am not a fan of the system at this point, taking 5 seconds while you **** around and figure out if I'm telling you to accelerate is NOT a safe way to do things. Its almost like the engine is lugging really badly even though I'm in normal D mode. And yeah, getting the dealer to replicate the problem is ridiculous, the last time I took mine to the dealer they didn't do anything to it, just wasted my time. (and it cost me quite a bit too, a tank and a half of gas in my Wrangler as opposed to maybe 1/2 tank in the car...)
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Got back from vacation over the weekend, over 1200 miles round trip. On the occasions when I was intentionally trying to get the Compass to accelerate, (loaded down with 4 people and enough luggage where passengers couldnt move) it did sound as if the engine was going to physically detach itself from the rest of the vehicle from the noise level, but after maybe 10 seconds it was zipping along a long, curving incline at between 70-75mph which impressed me as I was able to pass many of the other cars around us. Several times on open stretches of road, it easily got up to 80mph and above without straining.

Realizing that its a modest sized 4 banger trying to haul all that people and luggage I never expected it to accelerate very quickly and there does seem to be a slight pause after the pedal is floored before it actually seems to transfer that physical action into mechanical action. In some situations that can be frightening if you have to suddenly accelerate to avoid a potential accident or when merging into fast moving traffic. After it gets to its cruising speed and CVT gear ratio, it rolls nicely and without too much further fuss, but depending on the conditions (traffic, terrain, load, etc) it can be a little hairy getting it there.

I kept the autostick in 'D' for the entire trip, though thinking back there were a few times when I probably should have bumped it into a lower gearing ratio to help out. I have to agree that the biggest issues with it that I have is the acceleration from a stop or when driving through residential areas where speed limits are 35mph or below it seems to have a hard time knowing what ratio it wants to use in 'D' and seems to constantly trying different ratios resulting in an uneven feel at the lower speeds. (thats the best way I can describe it)
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
calibastard
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM View Post
I have noticed the acceleration issue a lot on my Caliber R/T FWD CVT. (what a name!) Anyway, I can push it to the floor and the car will not accelerate. My thinking is it has something to do with the drive by wire system in it and the computer trying to decide when best to accelerate... I am not a fan of the system at this point, taking 5 seconds while you **** around and figure out if I'm telling you to accelerate is NOT a safe way to do things. Its almost like the engine is lugging really badly even though I'm in normal D mode. And yeah, getting the dealer to replicate the problem is ridiculous, the last time I took mine to the dealer they didn't do anything to it, just wasted my time. (and it cost me quite a bit too, a tank and a half of gas in my Wrangler as opposed to maybe 1/2 tank in the car...)

This is reffered as the "No Throttle Response" problem on Caliber forums.

Mine does that and it royally ticks me off. It's the reason I registered on here. Trying to gather more information for a further fix.

BTW, Hi all! I'll introduce myself in a bit.

For now, one thing I found out is that this pedal-of-death thing seems related to the engine rather than CVT itself. You'd think the car is being super-anal-retentive about acceleration if it things that the CVT pulleys are not in the proper position for required torque, but try this:

Next time your Patriot/Compass does that to you, shift in neutral, stomp the pedal and wait until your car reaches 4000RPM. Let it wind down and re-engage: your transmission will be WAY more responsive on acceleration, not exhibiting the dead pedal at all.

This has been confirmed by at least another AWD Caliber owner so I know I'm not dreaming this up. This issue might be related to the VVT itself (or rather, a combination of the VVT + CVT throttle body software).

I haven't reviewed the complete forum guidelines yet so I'll omit saying I'm a transfuge from some other Caliber Forumz that go under the name "mouser".

On here, I'm just like some Compass' bastard unwanted brother, Calibastard. Greetings people.

Back on topic ...

On that other unnamed forum, we refer to this problem as the "No Throttle Response" issue. Another less flattering nickname is the "dreaded pedal of death".

My AWD Caliber R/T (aka, Compass - 1 inch clearance) has given me this problem frequently and it nearly killed me once.

After all my investigation (including using the Co-Pilot CanBus-connected computer), nothing has ever resulted in my dealer, or Chrystler, even admitting the problem existed. Yet, many of us have that issue.

Over my 18 months of suffering my car (it's a love-hate thing), I have discovered something interesting wich was confirmed by at least another Caliber owner.

Next time your Patriot/Compass decides to comatose on you, switch to Neutral, stomp the gas pedal and rev the engine up to at least 4000 RPM and let go, re-engage when engine reaches idle (or near-idle) RPM and then accelerate.

Your car will now be magically responsive.

What this means is that the issue is not even related to the torque converter, nor CVT pulley position being too high for the required acceleration (thus the car easing it in until it can reposition things).

The car is responsive again simply because it reached RPMs between the 3500-4000 RPM range. I know this for a fact. Next time your car does it, just stomp and let the car slug forward. Keep your eyes on the RPMs. You'll see that it jumps forward like mad when it reaches somewhere around 3700 RPM. It seems to be a constant number too. This is what prompted me to try reaching that RPM while in neutral. It works, and it's faster and SAFER than engaging at snail speed into oncoming trafic.

It seems like the issue is related to BAD Chrysler programming (wich we know, having compared the same engine in Mitsubishi and transmission in Nissan cars), or faulty sensors relating to the throttle boddy, including any of the following:
  • VVT input or output valve position
  • Air temperature sensors
  • Fault or unexpected readings on input vs output torque
  • Engine speed
  • Input or Output CVT pressure

and quite possibly other sensors.

I have also noticed that there is greater possibility of this defect to show itself on rainy or otherwise damp days or conditions (including interior garage during winters, where humidity is often high due to snow/ice melting off the cars in said indoor car parks). This means, faulty wiring might also be in cause.

There seems to be nothing at this point we can do (other than that neutral stomp hack above) that can help us get this issue fixed. Other, perhaps, than a class action suit or other means of pressure.

I want Chrysler to admit there's a problem and reprogram/repair our vehicles. Until that's done, I've already watered down two customers who asked me how my Caliber was. More will come for sure.

Last edited by calibastard; 09-30-2008 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: minor editing
calibastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

to the group and I hope that your input can help some of the other members! I do visit Caliberforums from time to time. I would have had one had they been able to deliver.

You'll find that this is a family forum and there always seems to be a Mod around....somewhere. The rules are here.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.