A/C blower runs again 30 seconds after key taken out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > A/C blower runs again 30 seconds after key taken out

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 06-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
htorrescompass
2010 MK Compass 

2010 Compass A/C blower runs again after key taken out

I noticed this problem when my battery was dying. I have it recharged.
So I turned off the engine, key is out but the AC knob in on, let's say, on second speed. Ok the AC stops after switch is off, key out. But I stayed in the car and after 30 seconds, the blower suddenly turns on, i feel the air coming out thru the vents, o course it's draining my battery.
If I leave the speed knob off, nothing happens after the 30 seconds, so we're safe if we don't forget to turn of the AC before turning off the engine and before leaving the car
It's my wife's 2010 Jeep Compass, so problem is that it's the second time she has forget to switch the knob off, causing the death of the battery overnight. I'm really sick about this problem and I don't want to take the Compass to the stealership. Can somebody tell if there is DYI to fix this?

Last edited by htorrescompass; 06-26-2012 at 02:43 AM..
htorrescompass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
JeepCares

I know you don't want to hear this, but a dealership is probably your best bet. I'm also working under the assumption that the vehicle is still under warranty.

I'm thinking you might need a scan tool to properly diagnose it, but someone out there might have some ideas.
JeepCares is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It sounds like you have a short to voltage in a connector or in the wiring. Check for chafed wires or a problem with a connector. Those are the most likely problems but diagnosis also calls for replacing the instrument panel. An Auto Parts store can pull the codes for you to help isolate where the problem could be.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I know on some vehicles if the temps are still hot enough,from say running the AC on a 100 degree+ day,the fans can start on there own even with the engine turned off to keep the coolant temps down.I do not know if the compass is one as I don't have the FSM to check.
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
htorrescompass
2010 MK Compass 

I bought this car at a Jeep dealer on December 2011 with 36K. It was a "Certified" car and came with 3 moths bumper to bumper. On February, still under that warranty, I noticed that the AC blower wasn't working at all speeds, the higher ones. On my invoice they stated that it was caused by a bad switch and it was replaced. Note says: Installed 55111132AD : control : A/C and Heater Diagn. AC Control Hed (1@$70.77 + Labor $79.80).
This job was performed on 2/20/2012.
I wonder if the current problem it's related with the switch installed, maybe a bad installation, connection or switch malfunction on this job?. Invoice doesn't say anything about how much warranty I have on this job.
As for the one saying that fans can run on their own, yes, in Arizona the high temperatures are currently above 110, but I don't think the fan starts to with engine turned off to keep coolant temps down all night long draining the battery, specially since during the night temps are below 100.
Helppp!!!
htorrescompass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by htorrescompass View Post
I bought this car at a Jeep dealer on December 2011 with 36K. It was a "Certified" car and came with 3 moths bumper to bumper. On February, still under that warranty, I noticed that the AC blower wasn't working at all speeds, the higher ones. On my invoice they stated that it was caused by a bad switch and it was replaced. Note says: Installed 55111132AD : control : A/C and Heater Diagn. AC Control Hed (1@$70.77 + Labor $79.80).
This job was performed on 2/20/2012.
I wonder if the current problem it's related with the switch installed, maybe a bad installation, connection or switch malfunction on this job?. Invoice doesn't say anything about how much warranty I have on this job.
As for the one saying that fans can run on their own, yes, in Arizona the high temperatures are currently above 110, but I don't think the fan starts to with engine turned off to keep coolant temps down all night long draining the battery, specially since during the night temps are below 100.
Helppp!!!
When you 1st turn off your engine after running it for sometime with the AC on in 100 degree+ weather your coolant will continue increase in temp since it's not flowing(only slowly by thermal something or another but not very fast) and nothing is aiding it to cool.Some vehicles take that into account and will run the fan after the engine is shut down.Why you see warnings on electric fans under hoods that state "Caution fan may start at anytime".Very common on Fords and honda's for them to keep the fans on after engine shutdown for a few mins.
Unread 06-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The radiator fans running after the engine is powerd down I can understand but not the A/C blower fan.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
dirkdiggler106
2012 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The radiator fans running after the engine is powerd down I can understand but not the A/C blower fan.
+1 Sounds like a short or bad switch to me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.