Break in questions from new Jeep Patriot owner - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Break in questions from new Jeep Patriot owner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
DEF1ANT
2014 MK Compass 

I got a 2014 Compass 4x4 limited and I drove it hard for its first 1000 miles. I used the manual shift a lot as its also good to let the engine decelerate after some full throttle runs. After an oil change I would get about 18 average mpg on city and 22 on highway. At 5000 miles the engine got quieter and more responsive with 19 average mpg on city and 23 highway. I then replaced the air filter with a K&N and now I'm getting almost 21 average mpg city and 25 highway.

DEF1ANT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
d0mm0
2014 MK Patriot 

so i got a question? My jeep is new and has 300 miles on it right now....after reading this post I'm not "babying" the engine anymore...now with that loud rumbling and noise when i step on it, that goes away after a certain amour of "miles" has been driven? Just curious as this is the first new car i have ever had! Thanks in advance
d0mm0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0mm0 View Post
so i got a question? My jeep is new and has 300 miles on it right now....after reading this post I'm not "babying" the engine anymore...now with that loud rumbling and noise when i step on it, that goes away after a certain amour of "miles" has been driven?
I addressed that loud rubbling/growling noise in my 14's engine when it was new. I was VERY unhappy with it (the 2.4 engine) in the begining.

The growling/rubbling noise (on acceleration) has pretty much completely disappated now. The noise really started to quite down I'd say around 3-4k miles. This is also the point at which the power increased substantially and the fuel economy also increase substantially as well.

I did not baby the engine when it was new and went WOT on highway On-ramps every change I got!
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #19
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

I, too, followed Chrysler's owner manual break in procedure of occasional WOT. One recommendation though, do this AFTER the engine has been warmed up a bit. It's not good to do these shenanigans on a stone cold engine right after you pull out of your driveway in the morning.

Happy motoring.
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-G View Post

*snip*

I've since driven 100 miles all highway and gone through a half tank which is roughly 16 mpg i believe. I would never expect to get the actual window sticker estimates but that seemed alarmly low to me.

*snip*
I drive 75mph, 70 miles a day, to and from work. At that speed and distance, my Crown Vic (@4,000lbs; w/ 4.6L V8) actually beats my Pat in MPG, by a wide margin. Aerodynamics plays a huge part in fuel mileage. Keep in mind that the engine RPM required to sustain 75mph is about 3k on flat highway (depending on wind velocity and direction). Encounter a slight upward grade and the RPM can top 4.5K, no problem.

If I am tooling around town making quick stops here and there, the Jeep does much better then the CV, which should be what one should expect.
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.