Break in questions from new Jeep Patriot owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Break in questions from new Jeep Patriot owner

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Joey-G

Break in questions from new Jeep Patriot owner

Hi everyone,

Complete newbie here to jeep and owning a new car. So inevitably this topic has been discussed already but never the less...

I just purchased my first jeep, a 2013 Patriot Latitude with the 2.0 engine and cvt. Not only is it my first Jeep but it is also my first new car. The car had 80 miles when I drove it off the lot with a full tank of gas. I've since driven 100 miles all highway and gone through a half tank which is roughly 16 mpg i believe. I would never expect to get the actual window sticker estimates but that seemed alarmly low to me. As first time owner of a new car I was obviously concerned and after a little research discovered the notion of a break in period. I've done a little research on the forums here and elsewhere regarding a "break-in" but can't seem to find a consensus. How much should I limit my rpms? What's the best method to break in such a new car? I don't drive like a maniac to begin with.

Also is there an easier way seeing the average mpg other than weighing the distance travelled against the gas used? Some readout on the dash that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance to any replies. I'm looking forward to contributing to these forums and being a jeep owner

Joey-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Your owners manual is your friend. Read it and follow its advice. Online copy can be found here: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/
The users guide available on the same webpage has a section on engine break-in.
Enjoy your new Jeep! And welcome to the forum.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I drove mine off the lot with 12 miles. Gas Mileage has not improved since then. 16,000 now.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

And I would top your tank off, run it nearly empty, fill up then do the math.
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

FujativeOCR, I would love to drive your pat for a few days, and see what mileage I get out of it... just out of curiosity. My milage has dropped since my lift, I'm now in the 21-23 range, in pretty heavy traffic, but not stop and go traffic (haven't driven in that yet)

On thing that helped me, and I bought my pat with about 150 miles on it, was to unhook the battery. This kinda makes the computer brain reset its self, and relearn your driving style. for me, my cvt was very choppy at first, did this and it seemed to smooth out. (either that or I learned how to drive better with the cvt after)
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I did that once already.
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Break in questions from new Jeep Patriot owner

I bought my Patriot with 14 miles on it. Some people say that their is no "breaking in period". From my experience I feel that there is. Both for the driver and the vehicle. I was averaging around 19-20 and after a few thousand miles I'm up to my current 24-26 mpg.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
lobes123
2012 KK Liberty 

I have a 12 Liberty and mileage began improving recently at 5k miles. My father's Patriot is doing low 20's all the time. Give it some more time and maybe less throttle. Haha j/k.
lobes123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

My Compass improved gradually up to 5K miles. It hates wind, mileage drops quickly above 65. Don't baby it during break in, my manual said to run it @ full throttle periodically. My first tank of highway mileage was 22MPG but improved to about 26 (the sticker). Never quite made the city rated mpg though, I get 19 instead of 21 (freedom drive 1) with the 2.4L.
Wmillonig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I never ran mine at full throttle early on. Maybe that's my problem?!?
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
I don't know about cars, but with motorcycles (where break in is essential) You should not baby it NOR should you run it at full throttle, Heres a good write up for motorcycle engine breakin.

http://www.motorcycleextremist.com/M...ight-Way!.html
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
JeepCares

FYI-

From the 2011 Patriot Owner Manual:
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil
changes should be consistent with anticipated climate
conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For
the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to
“Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”.
NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL
OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.
A new engine may consume some oil during its first few
thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be
considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted
as an indication of difficulty.

From the 2013 Patriot Owner Manual:
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes
should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions
under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Maintenance
Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”.
CAUTION!
Never use Non-Detergent Oil or Straight Mineral Oil
in the engine or damage may result.
NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its
first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This
should be considered a normal part of the break-in and
not interpreted as an indication of difficulty.
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
ODubhGhaill
2014 MK Patriot 

What in the holyhell is the difference between "brief full-throttle" (good) and "wide-open throttle" (bad)?

My Patriot had 6 miles on it when I purchased it new, factory ordered. I did not go over 50mph the first 60-100 miles, 55-50 to 200 miles. I then ran my Patriot relatively conservatively (from around 200 to 300 miles) with brief highway runs up to 55-65mph with an occasional full/wide-open throttle acceleration that took the RPM from 2500 to about 4500-5000 for a second or two, usually from 30mph to 55mph, much like coming onto the highway from an on-ramp.

After 300 miles, I have run it normally, city stop and go and idle, highway for hours at 65mph the most, with the occasionally higher RPM use on ramps.

I changed the oil and filter at 1025 miles (Pennzoil Ultra 5w20, Mopar filter from the dealership). Please tell me that this is all good?
ODubhGhaill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
rdgblk
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My wife and I didn't follow any rigorous break in procedure with our Patriot. We also follow the regular maintenance cycle and get it services with regular oil from the dealer. My wife drives mostly in town on a short commute and as a result our average fuel economy on the display is usually 18 mpg or below. When I drive it to work on a longer mixed commute I get low 20's. When we take it on longer highway drives we usually get around 25-26 depending on how loaded down we are and the driving speed. This is with the FWII. So we're pretty close to what we expected.

On our patriot there is a read out on the dash (have to cycle through the display menu to bring it up), but it calculates trip mpg not instantaneous. If you want to see what you're getting at any given time you'd need to keep resetting it.
rdgblk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Very well could be.

I've owned around 100 or so different vehicles the past (36) years so I have a lot of experience with this.

Yes, today's machinery and quality control gives very precise measurments and clearances between metal parts. So today's engines are not as "tight" as the used to be when brand new.

However, the piston rings NEED to time and compression to EXPAND against the cylinder's walls to create optimum SEAL. The tighter the piston ring/cylinder wall SEAL, the less compression is LOST.

That said, I drive my new cars relatively hard and a WOT frequently. Highway ON ramps are a great place to do so!

I bought my 14 Compass w/2.4 with 400 miles on it. After I bought it, I too was NOT please with the fuel economy AND the loud "growling" type noise emitting from the engine upon acceleration.

I started noticing the engine becoming "looser", more responsive and increasing in MPGs around 2,000 miles or so. The engine also quietied down on acceleration.

Around the 4-5000 mile point, I noticed the engine is MUCH MORE responsive (all over the RPM band), much quieter when accelerating and getting VERY GOOD fuel mileage.

It's at 5,500 miles now and gets high 20's consistently on the highway. I believe (30) MPG highway is very obtainable IF I could keep it at 65 MPH.....which I can NOT seem to do! LOL!

So IMHO, drive it like you stole it as soon as you get it off the dealer's lot! Well, not quite THAT hard, but you get my point.

Like others have stated above, do NOT baby a new engine! Your risk NOT getting that piston ring/cylinder wall seal to the optimum level.

BTW, have you ever watched NHRA engine builders rebuild an engine (from scratch) during an event ? (pretty freakin amazing BTW). Do they go out and "baby" that engine when the first fire it up ?? HELL NO!
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.