Boston Acoustics Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Boston Acoustics Question

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
sportjeeptj99
2007 MK Patriot 

Boston Acoustics Question

Hey all,

Looking into getting a patriot. Currently have a 99 TJ. I would love the upgraded Bos Acoustics speakers but they dont have many in stock in my area with the other options I want. My ? is that if I get a patriot with the stock 4 speakers, is the wiring harness for the upgraded speakers there for the sub and two dash speakers?

Also for all you current patriot owners, how is the 4 speaker system? I like my music a little loud, and want to be able to turn it up without it sounding bad.

Thanks!

sportjeeptj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Hello there;
I had the same problem you, so I went with the stock set of 4, knowing I'd wind up at Mickey Shorr later. The stock speakers are terrible. The range is terrible, and power handling is no good.

I had them changed to 4 Infinities in the doors, and I added some Kenwood tweeters in the dash. The witing for the tweeters was NOT there, however, so I had to pay to have it added. Additionally, the installers had to create some custom mounts for the tweeters.

All in all, if you go with some good aftermarket stuff, you will be able to blow away the Boston Acoustics "Premium" package anyway, at about the same cost as the option.

Also, I was surprised to find out that even though the door grilles are round, those are 6x9 speakers in there (On all 4 doors).
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
snood
2007 MK Compass 

4 speaker

When I test drove a new wrangler it had the stock speaker system in it and the BA system was more clear as you turned it up (my opinion)
I dont think the stock systems come with lift gate so you would be SOL there but if you replaced the stock speakers with a set from like crutchfield (outfit the patriot there under car audio) which will sound better than the stock BA system
The only reason I got the BA system is because I didnt want to mess around with wiring amps and speakers nor did I want to shop around for stuff
Unread 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
sportjeeptj99
2007 MK Patriot 

Thanks for the quick reply's. Since the wiring wasnt there for the dash tweeters im assuming it wouldn't be there for where they have the sub either. Is the location where the sub goes completely closed off with the 4 speaker system or could you put one in there if wanted?
Unread 06-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

I think that if you yanked out the "Storage Insert" that's in there now, you could put it in the default location.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that I have the REC radio, and was pleased to see that once the new speakers went in, I had no need for an amp. I was outputting plenty of clean power. I don't know which radio you have, but without a sub you might be good also. If you want a sub, then you'll undoubtedly need an amp. In front of your spare tire well, under the felt Space Filler, there is what looks like a great spot to put one.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

I asked the same question to the dealer where I bought my MK Compass CRD, and they advised me no, the wiring/harness is not there when the stock stereo is fitted. I asked them for quotes on the stereo upgrade, and speaker/sub/amp upgrade - and it was not worth it - considering they would have to put in the wiring harness/wires, etc.

There's been a couple of forum posts here about upgrading stock stereo which would be of help, (here's one of them: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425672). I'm learning a lot with the DIN kits and CAN-BUS interface/adapters, which is on my list of things to buy when I have the cash to upgrade my stereo!
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is what the BA sub woofer looks like. It's in it's own housing and is held on by 3 screws. It's about a 7" sub and from the surface of the speaker there is about 6.5" depth to play with to the inner fender panel.

The speaker grill has what looks like plastic push pins from the inside into the grill housing. I tried to pop them out, they didn't seem to budge and I didn't want to try any harder. I'm sure that the storage compartment is held on the same way and the pins could be drilled out as the worst case scenario.

For instructions on how to get the rear Quarter Panel off go here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...55#post4031955

It's for the left side but they come off the same.

The 1st pic is the sub attached, the 2nd pic is it laying face down and last is the inside of the speaker grill

I also found these other links for the Kicker Upgrades being sold by Chrysler.

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/Audio.html

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...=8&Search.y=10

http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_calibe...ssories/audio/
erq-panel-002.jpg   erq-panel-003.jpg   erq-panel-001.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

I always wondered what was hiding back there.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

re:tweeter wiring

I put in a Nav unit in a Patriot Limited yesterday.
I am still using the stock 4 speakers and my dash mount tweeter wiring is there.
It wasn't easy to find, especially the driver side as they had the extra length bundled and taped up. way up in the dash.

The wiring is by no means just sitting neatly by the speaker hole ready to go. It is bundled way back in the dash.

On driver side they are gry/tn and gry/brwn and passenger side is and gry/dg and gry/lg.

Jim
nearly.normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
sportjeeptj99
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearly.normal
I put in a Nav unit in a Patriot Limited yesterday.
I am still using the stock 4 speakers and my dash mount tweeter wiring is there.
It wasn't easy to find, especially the driver side as they had the extra length bundled and taped up. way up in the dash.

The wiring is by no means just sitting neatly by the speaker hole ready to go. It is bundled way back in the dash.

On driver side they are gry/tn and gry/brwn and passenger side is and gry/dg and gry/lg.

Jim
Wow, you have the 4 stock speakers and the wiring was there? Hmmm. I have the 6disc changer with 4 stock speakers and I looked for "dash tweeter wires" but couldn't find any. I ended up splicing my tweeters into the front door wires. If you could take a pic of the existing tweeter wires that would be great. I would love to use those instead of the splices i have.
Unread 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

The dash is back togther now and although I am planning on putting in tweeters, I have knee surgery tomorrow so it may be awhile before I can snap any pictures.

On the driver side I had to lay in the floorboard and reach WAY up towards the tweeter hole, but also back towards the firewall. I kept feeling around till I felt a loose connector that was taped to another bundle of wires. I then pulled the tape of in 2 places which let the wire unfurl to it's full length.

Then I had to have someone stick there hand down the tweeter hole and meet my fingers to pull the wire thru. There is just enough there to plug into a speaker.

I never did plug it into anything so I could have the wrong wires, but the colors match those that are in the service manual.

If you look at the Connector/Splice diagram you can see it in the Instrument Panel-Left-LHD picture. Page 45.

Cheers,
Jim
nearly.normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
sportjeeptj99
2007 MK Patriot 

No problem. Mine's all put back together and sounds outstanding now as it is. Why fix it when it's not broken, right?

Good luck on the knee surgery.

Just hit 1000 miles on the way home today!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.