Beaming Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Beaming Lights

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
dupuis11
2008 MK Patriot 

Beaming Lights

My 2008 Jeep Patriot lights seem to be frustrating other drivers. I can't seem to find the adjustment mechanism. Do I need to take apart anything like the front grill to lower the beaming lights? Is there a simple way to adjust the height they are shining at?

dupuis11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
umopp

not sure but i never had any problems with annoying other drivers while i had my stock halogens but once i got my hids people were starting to get annoyed (high beaming me when they got close and honking) so if you have hids that might be why. try retrofitting your headlights if you do have hids
umopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupuis11 View Post
My 2008 Jeep Patriot lights seem to be frustrating other drivers. I can't seem to find the adjustment mechanism. Do I need to take apart anything like the front grill to lower the beaming lights? Is there a simple way to adjust the height they are shining at?
Everything is completely stock?

Go find a flat wall, park about 25 feet from it, and see if both beams are still aligned to the same height.

Also, you ARE turning them on at night, right? Maybe you're running just parking lights and fogs or something, and other drivers are flashing you to tell you that you're dumb.
I've had that happen with someone i know before.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

There's a Facebook group out there called, "I own a Jeep Compass, and no my highbeams are not on." I cracked up because I quite often get flashed by other drivers, thinking my highs are on. My own guess - It's the nature of the headlights and how they scatter.

To the O.P. - Sorry, I don't know how to adjust them. I haven't yet tried.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Jawa78
2008 MK Compass 

I have a similar problem at time not very often but I get people think my high beams are on and they flash me and then I flash them back.

Stock Halogens
Jawa78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The headlights on the domestic MK's are not adjustable it's just a nice white light. Other drivers may flash you thinking that you have your brights on. I've been flashed a few times and I've flashed others to find out that that is their low beams. As the "modern" era moves from yellow lights to white lights it's bound to happen. I just give them a quick flash back and keep them on low.

Some exports have a headlight leveling motor as required by the country of destination.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

I've noticed that also. Other cars flash their lights at me. I just flick on the high beams and then back down to the low beams to tlet them know I don't have my high beams on.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #8
madrabbitt

i thought FMVC '02 still required manual adjusters on any vehicle not equipped with an automatic leveling system.

and i dont have a copy of it at home with me, i dont think, but i'll look it up when i get a chance.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

There is nothing on headlight alignment in the Service Manual, only replacing the headlight or the bucket.

Unread 01-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

That seems very odd to not have the ability to adjust the level of headlights. As said, I haven't tried it yet, but I guess I would have been looking for something that's not even there. lol
Unread 01-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Hey, everyone. 'Nother nube here. The only time I've been flashed is when I've run both lowbeams and fogs - and I'm sittin' 2+ inches above stock. Guess the manufacturer didn't figure anyone would modify either Compass or Patriots so never thought to include adjustable head lamps.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
polished_heckle
2007 MK Patriot 

Here's a thread on adjusting the Patriot headlights

I know the Pat has these adjustments, and the diagram shows a Compass, so I'm sure it'll work for you too!
polished_heckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
polished_heckle
2007 MK Patriot 

oh, I guess we don't share around here. anyway, the thread is for a "jeep patriot"
polished_heckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polished_heckle View Post
Here's a thread on adjusting the Patriot headlights

I know the Pat has these adjustments, and the diagram shows a Compass, so I'm sure it'll work for you too!
Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I figured out the link and it made me look further.

FRONT LAMP AIMING

VEHICLE PREPARATION FOR LAMP ALIGNMENT
1. Check for and correct any burnt out bulbs.
2. If the vehicle is equipped with headlamp leveling, be certain that the headlamp leveling switch is in the 0 position.
3. Repair or replace any ineffective, worn or damaged body or suspension components that could hinder proper lamp alignment.
4. Verify proper tire inflation pressures.
5. Remove any accumulations of mud, snow or ice from the vehicle underbody and clean the front lamp lenses.
6. Verify that there is no load in the vehicle (cargo or passengers), except for the driver.
7. The fuel tank should be FULL. Add 2.94 kilograms (6.5 pounds) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing fuel.
8. Verify correct vehicle suspension height.

LAMP ALIGNMENT SCREEN PREPARATION

The procedure that follows will prepare a suitable front lamp alignment screen.

1. Tape a line on a level floor 7.62 meters (25 feet) away from and parallel to the flat wall that will be used as the lamp alignment screen. The level floor will be used as the horizontal zero reference.
2. An adjacent wall or floor member that is perpendicular to the alignment screen can be used as the vertical zero reference. If there is no adjacent wall or floor member that is perpendicular to the screen, tape a second line on the floor perpendicular to both the alignment screen and the first line, and outboard of either side of where the vehicle will be positioned. This will be used as the vertical zero reference.
3. Position the vehicle so that the side of the vehicle is parallel to the vertical zero reference, and so that the front of the lamp lenses are in the vertical plane of the parallel line taped on the floor 7.62 meters (25 feet) away from the screen.
4. Rock the vehicle side-to-side three times to allow the suspension to stabilize.
5. Jounce the front suspension three times by pushing downward on the front bumper and releasing.
6. Measure the distance between the optical center of one of the lamps being aimed (head or fog) and the floor (horizontal zero reference). Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a piece of tape placed horizontally to the floor. This line will be used as the lamp horizontal reference.
7. Measure the distance between the vertical zero reference and the optical center of the nearest lamp being aimed (head or fog). Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a piece of tape placed vertically across the appropriate (head or fog) lamp horizontal reference. This is the centerline reference for the first lamp.
8. Measure the distance on center between the first and the second lamp being aimed. Transfer this measurement to the alignment screen with a second piece of tape placed vertically across the appropriate (head or fog) lamp horizontal reference. This is the centerline reference for the second lamp.

HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT
NOTE: Due to the linear nature of the headlamp cutoff, a properly aimed low beam headlamp will project the top edge of the high intensity pattern on the alignment screen from the horizontal line to 50 millimeters (2 inches) below the horizontal line for domestic market vehicles, or to 125 millimeters (5 inches) below the horizontal line for export market vehicles. No horizontal (right/left) adjustment is required for this headlamp beam pattern in domestic market vehicles. Export market vehicles have a second horizontal (right/left) adjustment screw provided on the outboard side of the headlamp unit rear housing. The high beam pattern will be correct when the low beams are properly aimed.

1. Turn the headlamps ON and select the LOW beams for vehicles in all markets except Japan. Vehicles for the Japanese market should have the headlamp HIGH beams selected.
2. Use a screwdriver to rotate the headlamp vertical adjustment screw (2) on each headlamp unit (3) to adjust the beam height as required.
3. For export markets only, use a screwdriver to rotate the headlamp horizontal adjustment screw (1) on each headlamp to adjust the beam right or left as required.

FOG LAMP ALIGNMENT
NOTE: A properly aimed front fog lamp will project a pattern on the alignment screen 100 millimeters (4 inches) below the fog lamp centerline and straight ahead of the lamp.

1. Turn the fog lamps ON.
2. Insert a screwdriver through the clearance notch (1) at the top of the front fog lamp (2) seat of the front fascia (3) to rotate the vertical adjustment screw on each lamp to adjust the beam height as required.

Unread 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Ah there we go. I thought it was screwy to not be able to adjust the lights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.