Bad Tie Rods Already? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Bad Tie Rods Already?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #61
ram2

Make sure you get a 2nd opinion. I took my 06 Durango to Belle Tire last fall for new tires. I got a phone call saying my ball joints were almost worn beyond legal limits. I did not bite. Several months ago I had the same ball joints checked at another place. They told me the ball joints are fine.

ram2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #62
JeepinJarhead03

balljoints..

how well do you trust the second opinion you got..

cause it looks something like this if they fail:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...109111602b.jpg

that being said.. get a 3rd opinion or follow the proper test procedures and check them out yourself

been a TON of balljoint issues with the KJs, not something to play with
JeepinJarhead03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #63
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

They are located in approximately the same area and many times diagnosing the problem is hard to isolate.

Unless you have personal experience or the recommendations of others how do you trust anybody?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #64
scarbs

Got the Clunk fixed. As i had thought sway end links or inner tie rods. Turns out pass inner tie and both end links.
Cost was 500 with an aligment. Now i need tires.

Eric
06 Dodge Ram SRT-10, Inferno Red
scarbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #65
RamRod78
2007 MK Compass 

Yay.... So I can join the club now!

'07 Compass w/85,000 Km...... Both outer tie-rod ends and one ball joint.....

At least I got the Moog parts, so now I have to go buy a grease gun!
RamRod78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #66
BamaWSO

Has anyone heard of these issues on the newer (2011+) models?
BamaWSO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #67
engine5

I had the tie rods replaced this past spring. Now I'm told the ball joints are bad. It's a 2008 with 66k miles. Most definitely the last Chrysler product I'll ever buy. It would be different if the company ' manned up' and admitted there was an issue with their suspension parts and had a recall to replace them. But I guess that's expecting too much. I may have to consider a foreign car next time. I also own a 2000 XJ, which like so many other 2000 -2001 models had the dreaded cracked head issue. A lot of those vehicles had heads that had to be replaced but no one with the company ever admitted there was a problem. GM pulled a similar stunt with the Dex-Cool issues in the early 2000's. Try to support American workers and American Companies and all you get is headaches.
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #68
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

I replaced the tie rods on my Compass at 37000 miles! Of course, just outside the warranty period...
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #69
engine5

Sadly, we didn't want to wait for something else to go wrong with the Patriot so we traded it. It was a decent vehicle except for the front suspension/steering issues. It's truly a shame that companies like Chrysler neglect to correct what appears to be wide spread issues throughout their product lines. I had an '04 Liberty with bad ball joints. But to their credit, in that instance, Chrysler recalled the KJ's and replaced the defective parts. I considered buying a Dakota until I learned that they too had front end issues. A friend of mine has a 2007 Ram 1500 with defective front end components. But so far, Chrysler, whether it's the new or old Chrysler, has turned a blind eye to what appears to be epidemic issues with their products.
Unfortunately, the ones who will ultimately suffer are those who work the production lines. Eventually consumers will grow weary of expensive nuisance repairs and look to vehicles from other companies. No one in management or engineering will admit to their mistakes. It was probably some cost saving measure which brought all of the cheap parts to the product lines to begin with.
In closing, good luck and best wishes to those who still own and operate Chrysler vehicles and those who still support Jeep products. Hopefully the corporate powers that be will learn from their mistakes before they reach the brink of disaster a third time.
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #70
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine5 View Post
Sadly, we didn't want to wait for something else to go wrong with the Patriot so we traded it. It was a decent vehicle except for the front suspension/steering issues. It's truly a shame that companies like Chrysler neglect to correct what appears to be wide spread issues throughout their product lines. I had an '04 Liberty with bad ball joints. But to their credit, in that instance, Chrysler recalled the KJ's and replaced the defective parts. I considered buying a Dakota until I learned that they too had front end issues. A friend of mine has a 2007 Ram 1500 with defective front end components. But so far, Chrysler, whether it's the new or old Chrysler, has turned a blind eye to what appears to be epidemic issues with their products.
Unfortunately, the ones who will ultimately suffer are those who work the production lines. Eventually consumers will grow weary of expensive nuisance repairs and look to vehicles from other companies. No one in management or engineering will admit to their mistakes. It was probably some cost saving measure which brought all of the cheap parts to the product lines to begin with.
In closing, good luck and best wishes to those who still own and operate Chrysler vehicles and those who still support Jeep products. Hopefully the corporate powers that be will learn from their mistakes before they reach the brink of disaster a third time.
Everyone uses cheap parts.To add and not in Chryslers defense that I replace alot of balljoints and tie rod ends on honda's,toyota's,and bmw's alot more then Chryslers.I also work on twice as many Jeeps then any other make but still replace more balljoints/tie rod ends on the others.Just saying from a tech's point of view that works on all makes/models.
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:07 AM   #71
jacko15
2014 WK 

Just had lower control arms with ball joints and tie rods replaced in our 2008 Compass with 22,000 miles. Warranty ran out too long ago to help. Hope the new ones last a little longer. We've never been off road with it, but city streets here can be brutal with cavernous potholes.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #72
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

All I know is that I had a 96 Mazda protege before my compass and other than tires, oil and brakes and other scheduled maintenance...I didn't put a dime into it till 120,000 miles, when I replaced ball joints and tie rods ends!
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #73
Ekreider
2008 MK Patriot 

Seeking warranty at 60k for bad tie rods- advice anyone?

2008 jeep patriot with.....hold on...might surprise some people....bad front tie rods. Call into Chrysler and now have a case manager assigned. I'm looking for a few good arrows to throw in my quiver to get them to pay for this one. I've read the forums but was just hoping to get some specifics from the group on their experiences with this issue and if anyone has been successful in getting reimbursed outside of warranty. Appreciate it!!
Ekreider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #74
scarbs

Whats that #?
06 Dodge Ram SRT-10, Inferno Red
scarbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #75
Trek620
2008 MK Patriot 

So I join the rest of you with new A arm and ball joint assemblies on both sides. 08 Pat made it to 51,400 miles. Still too early I think. Good news is local trusted mechanic did it for $400 less than dealer wanted. Hope these last the life of the vehicle.
Trek620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.