Bad Tie Rods Already? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Bad Tie Rods Already?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #46
nettolt
2007 MK Compass 

The tierods on mine failed in the first year, cv joints in the second, and I was on the third set of control arms. I traded it last night, so long Jeep! My old wranger never had any problem, but that POS compass was full of them.

Unread 07-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #47
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

I'm a little over 80K miles and already have had both sets of tie rods as well as both control arms replaced already. My mechanic was surprised that all of that needed done already. I've also got a blown strut that's next to get replaced. It does seem a bit excessive considering I only do neighborhood and highway driving. Never had it off road or going over rough terrain of any type.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #48
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

Don't feel bad Zappy, I've done everything you have done plus the struts already.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #49
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

That's next as soon as the funds are available, g3cko.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #50
Gav'spurplez

i only read the 1st page, but my g/f 07 patriot just had lower ball joints done.
she has 55K miles but the knocking in the steering and clunks over bumps has been there for a while.
1999 Wrangler Sport - SOLD
2009 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Gav'spurplez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #51
scarbs

Wife just bought a used 07 Compass. She test drove it last weekend no clunk pay for it today and take it for a ride and clunk clunk. Bought it privatly so can't take it back going to buy and extened warranty and get it fixed. i guess.
06 Dodge Ram SRT-10, Inferno Red
scarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #52
nettolt
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbs View Post
Wife just bought a used 07 Compass. She test drove it last weekend no clunk pay for it today and take it for a ride and clunk clunk. Bought it privatly so can't take it back going to buy and extened warranty and get it fixed. i guess.
Cheapest service contract was online through a chrysler dealer out of state.
I would recommend trying to find a third party service contract, a company you have used before, just so you can bring it elsewhere and not have to fight with dealers.
Unread 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #53
scarbs

Thanks for the tip. only ever had Chrysler Service contrats all the other ones i get adds for seem like a scam.

Whats an average price for a rod end job?(that sounds nasty)
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #54
scarbs

Well wife called on the warranty. The miles on the truck are 828200 to many to make the 2600 price worth it. Plus they said it would need inspected before they could sell it to us and they would find the clunk which would then either rise the price or void it all together.
So i got down and looked at the suspension. The outer ties were replaced with grease ones already and the control arms look newer. So what else could it be. The CV joints clank a little when i wiggle them but when i bounce the passenger side front end i hear a clank. struts don't look to be bad. but i did notice the innner tie on driver side had some play.
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #55
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Bad strut plates is a common cause of a clunk in cars.
Unread 07-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #56
scarbs

Oh that could be it. any info would help.
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #57
scarbs

Well still a clunker. I changed the sway bar bushings today. Nothing infact i think its worst. When i bounce the front end i here a clunk could be it struts? What about sway bar end links?
UGH I hate these new cheap *** Mopar suspensions.
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #58
udmover
2011 WK 

Let me add to this thread- took Pat in yesterday for oil change/tire rotation, then get call that my ball joints are so bad that my vehicle is "unsafe to use". I had been hearing creaks/moaning/pops/etc. over bumps and etc. but thought that I had more time. With 40k and 3.5 yrs old I need to put $933 into control arms/ball joints because they tell me it's all one part and not repairable. Secondly, they tell me they stock these parts because they "see this all the time on Patriots and Compasses". What junk! Guess that $1500 extended warranty wasn't a bad deal after all, as I'm sure something else will prematurely fail here soon- as my transmission, sunroof, and wheel bearings have. And then some of you folks on here are saying you've gone through this more than once! Wow- y'all have a lot more patience than me! Once I get this back I think it's time to start looking for something new...with an extended warranty! With all the low interest deals right now, and the end of the model year soon...
udmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #59
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Looks like I'm in the boat now with you guys. I have a ~$1450 from the dealership to replace both front lower control arms (bad ball joints), the driver-side outer tie road end, and my rear-passenger-side "toe-links".

My wallet is crying...
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #60
scarbs

Well still not fixed here. I thought i had it i tighthend everything i could find on the suspension, and it seemed to stop but today it was clunking bad. I did notice that it only clunks on litle bumps. I think its the inner tierods. When i rock the stearing wheel while driving you know like the NASCAr guys do i get clunking. The Clunk sounds like its coming from the middle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.