Bad Tie Rods Already? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Bad Tie Rods Already?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #16
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

Hey guys,
Personally I have not had to replace any tie rods yet (crossing fingers). However about a month ago I started getting a loud popping or thud noise when hitting small bumps at normal driving speeds of 25- 60 miles an hour. After several hours of me inspecting the jeep I finally figured out (by accident) that it was the sway bar link on the passenger side. So two weeks ago I did replace the sway bar link and the annoyance has gone away.

I know since I said I found it by accident I may as well say how I found it. I was squatting down and was pulling very stiffly on the front suspension parts testing the lower ball joint, the Tie Rod and coil spring when I suddenly slipped grabbing the link to catch my fall and it didn't make the noise. So when I got up I grabbed the coil spring and the sway bar link at the same time and yanked on the spring there was no sound. Then I performed it again not holding the sway bar link and wouldn't ya know it the sound was back. After ordering the part and one hour on jack stands and the sound is gone...

Now I hear a low rumbling sound as I make left hand turns so I guess one of my next projects will be to replace the ball joints. So if anyone does know of a manufacturer that does indeed make ones with grease fittings I would be grateful for a link or contact information.

a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #17
Justlooking9

I just had to do them on mine 2007 compass with 43K on it.
Justlooking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #18
Bosox1

Tie Rods

To say the least I was not happy to find out that the noise I am hearing is my tie rods. 07 Compass 31,000 miles. It's covered under the warranty but of course it broke on a long holiday weekend!!! I hear you need an alignment after they replace them. I would think that the alignment is covered under the warranty. Perhaps this is why one set of tires wore down quiker than the other, when they did my tire rotation. Sounds like this is a big problem, why isn't there a recall????
Bosox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #19
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Thanks for the bump. I was just thinking about this today. NAPA Chassis now lists Tie Rod ends for the MK's, made by TRW. NAPA number 2693277. I don't know if they have a grease fitting or not. This may help some to cross reference them.
I used to work for advance auto parts. They also sell the TRW steering parts.

They do have a lifetime warranty, but most do not have a grease fitting.
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
nick8387
2008 MK Compass 

so i read everyone needing to replace outter tie rods. figure id give you the moog part number. its an ES3614. I know this because i work at a local carquest and there is nothing better to do than look up parts for your own car
nick8387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks! I've been trying to find the Moog #. No, I don't have bad Tie Rods but some day things are going to need to be replaced. Car Quest carries Moog, that's good to know.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 05:16 AM   #22
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

This is a common problem on MKs and Calibers. As far as blaming Chrysler, the MK is based on the Caliber, the Caliber is based on a modified Mitsubishi platform. Confused yet? TSBs are not covered if your warranty is up, recalls are. I got screwed out of my TSB update for performance by my dealer when they didn't do it and I was almost out of warranty. My TJ like many other TJs has a bad instrument cluster. Chrysler got away with what should have been a recall by issueing a TSB instead. TSBs in my mind are a way of screwing the customer.
Unread 05-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
nick8387
2008 MK Compass 

yep we carry moog but i found out that some advance autos are starting to carry moog as well
nick8387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #24
kwc
2007 MK Compass 

Compass fading away

tie rods replaced at 48000 miles, front brakes as well. now the front end clicks all the time (sounds like a bb card in bicycle spokes) ... took to dealer and they said dirt was causing the clicking noise, so they cleaned the rotors (hahahaha ...). Clicks worse than ever now.

Engine light is on. Dealer has checked twice ... says it's a small evaporative leak in the gas cap "area". Reset light, came back on. Reset light, came back on.

Dealer gets one more shot to fix before the Compass gets traded in.

I like the car but it's falling apart on us.
Unread 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #25
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

I do not have the Compass anymore but at 30000 miles the tie rod ends, struts front and rear and front right hub (Ball joint was bad) needed to be replaced. I did drive it hard for the year and half I had it as the road I comuted on for about 2 hours a day was washbiarded and bot holed prettyy bad so I was not surprised. I actually traded the Compass during that visit for a new Liberity because of the rebates and trade in value they gave me I could not say no.

I will say I liked the Compass and have no regrets for having bought it.
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
windbane
2007 MK Patriot 

I had to have all four lower control arms replaced on my 2007 Jeep Patriot after 35000kms, I then brought it back to them afterwards and complained that something still felt wrong, it still felt too rough going over bumps, but all they did was lower my tires air pressure from 40 psi to 35 psi and send me on my way. Could there be something else wrong? Do they replace the ball joints or tie rod ends when they replace the lower control arms? I got my Jeep in April 2007 so it may fall into those service bulletins...
windbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #27
snood
2007 MK Compass 

So 1 year later it failed NYS inspection again!
control arms are bad (ball joints)
gotta love it
I did look into trading but ended up purchasing a 100k/7yr/0det service contract instead from an online Chrysler dealer for 2200. I didnt think that was to bad considering the local dealer wanted 3700.
Unread 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #28
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Anybody have this problem on 2008's or 2009's?
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #29
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy246 View Post
Anybody have this problem on 2008's or 2009's?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightfallzx2 View Post
(Bumping old thread)

Just had our outer tie rod ends done under warranty as well. I heard a lot of noise coming from up front while going over large bumps in the road (ice and snow). They said the driver's side was nearly popped out!

Glad I didn't have to pay anything at least.
Read back into the thread. There's a few.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #30
snikr

Just went to the dealer today and my 07 Compass needs a tie rod end AGAIN! Only have 26k miles on it!!! Plus one of the rear controling arms needs to be replaced as well.Good thing it's all covered under warrenty the lease is up on mine soon. That Subaru Forester is looking better all the time.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.