Bad Tie rod..struts leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Bad Tie rod..struts leaking

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 04-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Bad Tie rod..struts leaking

My Compass only has 33000 miles on it. Took it in for a tire repair/rotation and found out that one of the rear tie rods is worn/sliping and both rear struts are "leaking"...

In year one of owning this car (at about 6,000 miles), the dealer called me and replaced the tie rod bolts/nuts. Is this likely related to that? If so, should I ask the dealer to replace this part on his dime? Second, rear struts leaking? I am 50 yr old and never had this issue before...

Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

No one else with these issues?
Unread 04-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

On the rear they are called simply "shocks", they are coil over shocks but not struts. Shocks do leak. "Back when" we always said that the factory shocks (oil filled) would be worn out at about 20K - 35k and they needed to be replaced. Most aftermarket shocks these days are nitrogen filled but I'm unsure of the factory ones. Of course you can easily tell if the oil filled are leaking but again I'm not really sure how you tell if the nitrogen ones are leaking or not, they may still have some oil in them for lubrication.

There are no "rear tie rod ends". The rear has control arms that are set at the factory when built and a toe link that that has a camber adjustment to set the rear toe. I'm not sure what they are talking about, do they?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Mistyfate

I have about 48,000 miles on my Compass. About a year and a half ago... I noticed some odd "tire" noise. Going over bumps there would be this funky noise. It turned out to be my tie rods and ball joints.

The dealership wanted A LOT of money to replace these parts... but my father-in-law (who is a mechanic) was able to fix it for a fraction of the price.

He seemed surprised that these parts would "go" in such a new car, but I think it is common for the Compass. I think I remember seeing threads about it, but I'm not entirely sure.
Mistyfate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

After reading the invoice closer, the tire repair shop said the "outer tie rod end" is worn and loose...sorry, not the rear
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
g3cko
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have 81k on my compass and replaced the outer tie rods. Am currently replacing both front struts, and right inner tie rod. It's a very common problem on our cars.
g3cko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Back to my original question...is the worn outer tie rod likely related to the replacement/recall bolts that I had put on at about 6,000 miles? did some of the wear occur as a result of the wrong bolts being on the car? If so, I am going to ask the dealer to pay for the parts and I will pay the labor...
Unread 04-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Back to my original question...is the worn outer tie rod likely related to the replacement/recall bolts that I had put on at about 6,000 miles? did some of the wear occur as a result of the wrong bolts being on the car? If so, I am going to ask the dealer to pay for the parts and I will pay the labor...
No unfortunately. But it doesn't hurt to ask them anyway.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #9
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Use moog parts or replace it again in a year or two! IF the dealership will replace it, ask them to upgrade you to moog parts, and pay the difference between them (should be about 25% or less)

~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
ExpressoNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
Sreveal

I have a 2007 Patriot. My tie rod ends wore out at 60,000 miles. I had it at the dealership and they wanted $1100 to fix it. I took it to a local tire shop and they did it for $611. I gave them the list from the dealership of things that needed fixed and they said half of the stuff didn't need replaced! I have heard since that if you have over 50,000 miles on your jeep not to take it to the dealership anymore cause they will ream you!
Sreveal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
wesleyd
2009 MK Compass 

I have 26000 KILOMETERS on mine and it will be in for second set of tie rods and front struts. All warranty work but what a pain.
wesleyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.