autostick conversion? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > autostick conversion?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #31
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks! Your Speedo is off by 6.45% so your actual speed was 21.29.

Here's something interesting. These are my speeds in gears at 2500 rpm with the AutoStick:

1st = 13mph
2nd = 20
3rd = 28

Why is my 1st gear lower than your Low? Is it that in Low the variator still varies while mine is locked in to the set range? Maybe I've got the FD II final drive.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #32
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Thanks! Your Speedo is off by 6.45% so your actual speed was 21.29.

Here's something interesting. These are my speeds in gears at 2500 rpm with the AutoStick:

1st = 13mph
2nd = 20
3rd = 28

Why is my 1st gear lower than your Low? Is it that in Low the variator still varies while mine is locked in to the set range? Maybe I've got the FD II final drive.
think i remember reading somewhere that it did.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #33
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

drove again, at 2500rpm speed is just under 15mph
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:01 AM   #34
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
drove again, at 2500rpm speed is just under 15mph
Thanks for the update . I'm not quite as crazy as I thought I was.

Just a brief update on where we are on this. The wiring is correct but so far the FD II will not accept the DHD code. It appears that the dealer is trying to get Jeep engineering involved. It may be that the TCM doesn't want to accept my VIN number. We're still working on it.

Unread 01-31-2008, 06:34 AM   #35
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps

1st = 13mph
2nd = 20
3rd = 28

I think Low varies. I was on a level stretch and just had enough peddle to keep speed at 2.5k RPM. with mild acceleration the tach went up right away to 3.5k or so before my speed changed. when I floored it I got up to about 60 MPH at 5.5k RPM in Low (and still pulling) but shifted to Drive at that point.

my guess is Low has all the range of your 1-4 (guessing), you can just set your autostick within that range better.
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:45 AM   #36
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBroiled
I think Low varies. I was on a level stretch and just had enough peddle to keep speed at 2.5k RPM. with mild acceleration the tach went up right away to 3.5k or so before my speed changed. when I floored it I got up to about 60 MPH at 5.5k RPM in Low (and still pulling) but shifted to Drive at that point.

my guess is Low has all the range of your 1-4 (guessing), you can just set your autostick within that range better.
That's something that I was wondering. Do you feel a "shift" in low or does it feel like it just keeps "pulling". I haven't driven a CVT with out AutoStick since I test drove a Caliber SXT with the 2000cc engine and the FD II Patriot. Maybe I should take another test drive .

Just for fun I tested 2500rpm in:

4th = 35 mph
5th = 47 mph
6th = 68 mph

Unread 01-31-2008, 07:17 PM   #37
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

in Low I can get steady speeds from 15-23 MPH while at 2500 rpm, it depends on whether Im going uphill or level and whether I was accelerating or decelerating to get that 2500 rpm. for instance off the line I can sit at exactly 2500 rpm the whole time and sorta creep up to 20 mph or so, so the cvt is definitely varying the ratio in Low.

so in Low it just seems to keep "pulling" with no noticeable shifting of ratios.. its very smooth in Low. but in Drive it almost seems to emulate shift points, you can feel it changing ratios. its like they programmed it to "feel" like an old school automatic (to a point, anyway) in Drive.
Unread 01-31-2008, 07:40 PM   #38
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The ratios were only programmed in because someone thought that the public would be more comfortable with something that shifted as opposed to not shifting like a snow mobile.

Just speculating here: it appears that one of the Variators is allowed to move with the Low gate but both Variators are locked with the AutoStick. It's just electrical signals that feed the CVT and tell it what to do so that's not really too hi-tech. Now I'm curious to find out which one and maybe why.

Unread 02-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #39
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Need more data:

I've found out that the FD II package is up around 20 mph in low only but at 9 - 10 mph with the 4WD also on (Off-Road mode). It looks like in Off-Road mode they have the equivalent of my 1st gear. Does the FD I CVT with Lock on also have a 1st gear or does it still vary? If so, then there is additional programming for the transmission when the Lock is activated on both. Many more features on the FD II but I'm trying to isolate the trans features and then go on to the FD II set up.

07compasssport and CharBroiled were you in 4WD or not?

Unread 02-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #40
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was not in 4x4 lock mode when I did my tests.

we are having an ice storm tonight so I wont be able to check if Low acts differently in 4x4 lock vs normal mode till tomorrow sometime.

I wish they hadnt programmed in "shift points" as Ive found I like the smooth pull of a cvt.
Unread 02-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #41
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

No big rush, when ever you get a chance.

We're finally going to be up to "only" freezing for the next 9 out of 10 days! Break out the tank tops and shorts.

Unread 02-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #42
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

wasnt in 4x4 lock mode. will try this weekend.

edit: put in lock mode esp off and in "L" got about the same speed as before, just under 15

Last edited by Coasty161; 02-02-2008 at 10:56 PM..
Unread 02-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #43
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

in 4x4 lock mode there was no difference in final speed at 2500 rpm: bout 22 MPH is the sweet spot.

I did notice that in "L" idle RPMs are different in 4x4 Lock vs normal mode. compasssport, try this: with 4x4 lock ON and foot on the brake and off the gas (not moving), put it in "D," engine RPM sits about 700 on mine. then put it in "L," again with your foot on the brake and off the gas. my idle RPMs goes up to just under 1000. shift back to "D" OR take off 4x4 lock and RPMs drop back to normal.

so it seems that if Im are in BOTH "L" and 4x4 Lock my idle RPM goes up to almost 1000. anyone else notice this in theirs?
Unread 02-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #44
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBroiled View Post
in 4x4 lock mode there was no difference in final speed at 2500 rpm: bout 22 MPH is the sweet spot.

I did notice that in "L" idle RPMs are different in 4x4 Lock vs normal mode. compasssport, try this: with 4x4 lock ON and foot on the brake and off the gas (not moving), put it in "D," engine RPM sits about 700 on mine. then put it in "L," again with your foot on the brake and off the gas. my idle RPMs goes up to just under 1000. shift back to "D" OR take off 4x4 lock and RPMs drop back to normal.

so it seems that if Im are in BOTH "L" and 4x4 Lock my idle RPM goes up to almost 1000. anyone else notice this in theirs?

noticed the same on our jeep... it also feels different when accelerating when in low.
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #45
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport View Post
noticed the same on our jeep... it also feels different when accelerating when in low.
ok, i could see where the RPM's would up if you chose to be in '4Wheel Low' to get you out of deep snow, mud, etc....like a 'crawl' or 'granny' gear would do.

so this might be the 'crawl' gear version of the CVT's WITHOUT FDII, ya think?
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.