autostick conversion? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > autostick conversion?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #16
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
No CVT2Ls have ever had the AutoStick option.
if its not an option, Id think the programming would never expect to be plugged into an autostick shifter and will always assume normal shifter.

that FD II TCU may never work with the autostick.

unless they plan to support it later, then they could flash it. can you tell if his TCU has the latest version?

if they plan to add autostick to FD II later there could be a slight chance it would work, maybe theres beta code supporting it in there now.

Unread 01-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBroiled
if its not an option, Id think the programming would never expect to be plugged into an autostick shifter and will always assume normal shifter.

that FD II TCU may never work with the autostick.

unless they plan to support it later, then they could flash it. can you tell if his TCU has the latest version?

if they plan to add autostick to FD II later there could be a slight chance it would work, maybe theres beta code supporting it in there now.
That's what I've thought too.

Here's the latest on the FD II experiment after not having L or the gears displayed after the shifter and wiring additions.

Pulled the linkage off and shifted it to the L position the L came back. So the TRS controls the D and L and the sifter controls the 1-6. While it was in low I tried the auto shift no changes

Where we sit on this right now, other than trying to find a different part number for the AutoStick TRS (Trans Range Selector), I'm not sure.

to goebel1 over at JP for taking the time and effort to try this out!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Update:

goebel1 contacted the dealer and they said he would have to change to the TCM for the standard CVT2 and have it programmed with the VIN from one with the AutoStick option. He is then going to modify the shifter or create "something" that will engage L. I asked if reprogramming would wipe out the Off-Road features and he thinks that this is worth a try and if it doesn't work he can always put it back to what is was.

I guess that we're both hot rodders at heart.

Unread 01-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

in a FD I CVT2 I wonder if the same mechanical position that "L" would be in for the automatic would be the same as the +/- position for the autosticks. I mean the actual shift cable that runs to the actual tranny, the +/- position is the same as the "L" position. in a regular shift that position signals "L" for regular shifter and for autostick tells it to monitor for the + and - signals.

but in a FD II CVT2L that might be different. dunno.. just thinking out loud.. it seems its partly mechanical and partly electric..
Unread 01-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The bezels on the CVT2 & CVT2L have the same L gate which is higher than the D, +/- on the AutoStick. I want to pick up one of the standard shifters and see for myself what it looks like for the mechanicals. I need to make a trip to the dealer to find out if there are different listings for the standard CVT2, the CVT2L and the AutoStick for these parts: Shifter, TRS, cable and anything else that I can think of. If someone knows of some other mechanical piece that may affect the linage I'll add it to may list.

These transmissions are a lot more electronic than mechanical, at least on what controls them.

I even type out load a lot. Go for it.

Unread 01-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #21
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The bezels on the CVT2 & CVT2L have the same L gate which is higher than the D, +/- on the AutoStick. I want to pick up one of the standard shifters and see for myself what it looks like for the mechanicals. I need to make a trip to the dealer to find out if there are different listings for the standard CVT2, the CVT2L and the AutoStick for these parts: Shifter, TRS, cable and anything else that I can think of. If someone knows of some other mechanical piece that may affect the linage I'll add it to may list.
Id like to know if the shifters have the same gate positions and throw too. if "L" is the same as "+/-" then I can use the stock shifter.. "L" would put it into +/- mode if I can trick the TCU into thinking theres a autostick shifter. then I can use any switches I want to shift.

what I was thinking of doing was this: use the wheel audio controls as paddle shifters and leave the stock shifter there. be able to go either paddles with no (or limited) wheel audio controls, or stock with normal shift and full audio controls.

Im sure I can do this with a PIC (PIC is a small computer about half the size of a deck or cards, programmable with lots of input output capability) I would insert the PIC in between the steering wheels CAN bus (think its CAN anyway) and the rest of the CAN bus so I can isolate it.

in BYPASS mode the pic would be invisible and just pass the data from the wheel to the rest of the system. everything would work stock. "L" would select "L" and wheel audio control work as normal.

in PADDLE mode the PIC would intercept any data from the left wheel control and send a DOWNSHIFT signal hardwired to the TCU, any right wheel audio control would send the UPSHIFT signal to the TCU. "L" would actually be the +/- position. I would lose some (or all, depends on how I program it) of the wheel audio controls while in PADDLE mode though.. small price

the PIC I was thinking of has 8 I/O ports.. 2 for the wheels CAN bus, 2 for the cars CAN bus, 1 for upshift signal, 1 for downshift signal, 1 for BYPASS/PADDLE and one for an UPSHIFT light (maybe, that upshift light would take a lot of programming)

only issue is switching back and forth.. I need to know exactly how to trigger a "see if I have autostick" easily.

and I would need to know how to ride the CAN bus so I can program the PIC. Im sure CAN protocols are floating around somewhere.

come to that, do the steering wheel audio control signals use the CAN bus?

Last edited by CharBroiled; 01-26-2008 at 10:00 AM..
CharBroiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Touche! Brain overload! I sure sounds like it would work. I'll need to track down some more wiring diagrams and see if they are what your looking for.

We'll find out some of that info with the "more simple" conversion and them progress from there.

Unread 01-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #23
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

basically I would need a wire diagram for the steering wheel and its electronics, especially its CAN connector. Ive been looking into CAN interface chips and there are more than you can shake a stick at.. and some are basically simple, small programmable computer chips with a CAN interface and I/O built in - perfect for what I want.

this could be fun
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We need some help on gathering some data on the CVT: mph (K/h) at 2500 rpm in L (or 1st w/AutoStick). Please include whether you have FWD, FD I or FD II and tire size.

Example:
2500rpm = 13mph. CVT, FD I, AutoStick in 1st gear, 29.1" tires. That's just an eyeball on the analog speedo. Correction for tire size is 13.39mph.

THANKS!

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #25
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

this is a 07 patriot 4x4 FD I CVT2.

in "L" its 22-23 MPH at 2500 RPM.

thats with the stock Goodyear Wrangler SR/A 215/65-17 tires. not sure what the actual tire diameter is, and its raining out so I didnt check if you need that info lemme know.

hope this helps
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #26
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBroiled
this is a 07 patriot 4x4 FD I CVT2.

in "L" its 22-23 MPH at 2500 RPM.

thats with the stock Goodyear Wrangler SR/A 215/65-17 tires. not sure what the actual tire diameter is, and its raining out so I didnt check if you need that info lemme know.

hope this helps
"Stock tire size" is plenty good enough! We just need to know if we need to correct for non stock tires. Thanks!

Anybody else? The more data the better!

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #27
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

2500rpm at 20mph in "L" FD1 29" tires 235/65/17
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #28
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
edit: never mind, I just noticed you have different tires than I do.
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #29
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
Did you have your speedo recalibrated? If not, what were your stock tires?

Unread 01-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #30
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

no recal, stock tires are the 215/60/17
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.