auto locker options: - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > auto locker options:

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 01-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

auto locker options:

http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/PartsL...4WD&DiffID=316

so according to this site, these two auto lockers fit a compass, so I contacted them and they confirmed that yes they do fit, and would (obviously) fit a patriot as well.

I'm not sold on an auto locker. I had one in my isuzu i-290, and it would lock randomly sometimes, and it would be a bit startling. and I'm afraid that would be a bit of a hard it for a patriot's driveline. also, I don't know how it would play with the BLD's as an auto locker is activated by detecting a wheel going faster than the other wheel, but so does BLD's, I would think that that would be too conflicting. at least in my brain... A selectable locker is more what I would be after, as you can turn it on and off and not wait for slip to occur for it it kick in, and would not be fighting the BLD's.

aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You do not have a 8.25 diff in your compass(or patriot) so no neither will fit.

Oh and a LSD or locker will make the BLD activate less and will not conflict each other but no locker/LSD options for a compass/patriot so need to worry.
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, that's what i figured. Their site is wrong... I need to figure out what diff there is in a patriot/compass. I'm sure there is SOMEthing out there. since its the same diff as a lot of mitsubishi models, i wouldn't be surprised if a lsd for a evo x would fit.
Unread 02-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
yeah, that's what i figured. Their site is wrong... I need to figure out what diff there is in a patriot/compass. I'm sure there is SOMEthing out there. since its the same diff as a lot of mitsubishi models, i wouldn't be surprised if a lsd for a evo x would fit.
The front(main drive diff) requires the trans to be torn apart,forget it if you have the CVT,nothing out there for it.The rear diff is the secondary drive axle so pretty useless to try to lock it since it does not engage till you get front wheel spin or have FDII and lock it in "low".
Unread 02-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

The rear axle will engage without any slippage even when not locked in 4x4, it is based on slippage (at times) or throttle input.

Any type of locker would greatly help a Compass or Patriot as the BLD's really rob the limited engine power that they have.
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The front(main drive diff) requires the trans to be torn apart,forget it if you have the CVT,nothing out there for it.The rear diff is the secondary drive axle so pretty useless to try to lock it since it does not engage till you get front wheel spin or have FDII and lock it in "low".
I have a fdII and you have the option of locking the center diff 50/50. I do a lot of off roading, it would be helpful in very low traction areas. I would prefer a selectable differential, so that way it only engages when I need it to, and am expecting it.
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
The rear axle will engage without any slippage even when not locked in 4x4, it is based on slippage (at times) or throttle input.

Any type of locker would greatly help a Compass or Patriot as the BLD's really rob the limited engine power that they have.
Exactly, I want a selectabe, so when I have my 4x4 locked (50/50 split) and there is something I just cannot climb because I have 2 wheels in the air, I can lock it and get over the obstacle.
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I have a fdII and you have the option of locking the center diff 50/50. I do a lot of off roading, it would be helpful in very low traction areas. I would prefer a selectable differential, so that way it only engages when I need it to, and am expecting it.
Your SOL for any selectable locker.Gotta remember a compass/patriot was really never designed with offroad in mind besides snowy roads and slightly un-improved dirt roads,it's the truth since you basically are driving a dodge caliber.
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #9
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Does it really lock 50/50? I thought they did not have a transfer case and it was PTU only,this is what Jeep.com says for FDII

An electronically controlled coupling, which is attached to the rear differential, is the heart of the Freedom Drive II system. The electronic control module processes signals from the wheel speed sensors and the accelerator pedal to determine how much torque to transfer to the rear wheels. It then sends an electrical current to the ECC that is proportional to the amount of torque required.

In any case I do not see a locker being possible. You obviously enjoy your ride, so I would not worry about it
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

We are reminded time and time again we drive a vehicle based on a caliber, custom things exist for any vehicle, if you have enough money. I Myself enjoy my 2012 FDII compass a lot, I used to have an 08 FDII Patriot.

My point is I see no problems in exploring the idea of getting a rear locker and or LSD, IIRC the Toyota Rav 4 offered a rear LSD a few years ago and was a torsen type design. So knowing that it can't be that impossible to make. Sure it might not be cost effective, but how many people build offroad rigs that are cost effective, some do and some don't. I can't fault someone for wanting to do something that hasn't been done before.

If I can find a spare rear diff with the proper gears (from a FDII MK) I will pick it up and see what can be done with it.
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
We are reminded time and time again we drive a vehicle based on a caliber, custom things exist for any vehicle, if you have enough money. I Myself enjoy my 2012 FDII compass a lot, I used to have an 08 FDII Patriot.

My point is I see no problems in exploring the idea of getting a rear locker and or LSD, IIRC the Toyota Rav 4 offered a rear LSD a few years ago and was a torsen type design. So knowing that it can't be that impossible to make. Sure it might not be cost effective, but how many people build offroad rigs that are cost effective, some do and some don't. I can't fault someone for wanting to do something that hasn't been done before.

If I can find a spare rear diff with the proper gears (from a FDII MK) I will pick it up and see what can be done with it.
Yeah $$$ is the issue.

To have someone like Detroit or ARB make you a one-off locker or LSD would run 2-3 times the cost of a fully loaded compass/patriot.There just is not enough interest for them to even consider it.

Don't feel alone I had to go to the extreme to just re-gear properly but I do not have any of the electronics you have nor the FWD engine arrangement to deal with(or a CVT trans and lack of a actual t-case).For what you want it's just not worth it.Keep the compass/patriot as a DD and buy something for offroad that has a better drivetrain layout that has some aftermarket support.
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerr47 View Post
Does it really lock 50/50? I thought they did not have a transfer case and it was PTU only,this is what Jeep.com says for FDII

An electronically controlled coupling, which is attached to the rear differential, is the heart of the Freedom Drive II system. The electronic control module processes signals from the wheel speed sensors and the accelerator pedal to determine how much torque to transfer to the rear wheels. It then sends an electrical current to the ECC that is proportional to the amount of torque required.

In any case I do not see a locker being possible. You obviously enjoy your ride, so I would not worry about it
Yes, up to 35mph, (then it can still be locked, but will also unlock to avoid drive train damage) There is a little switch down by the parking brake that locks it.

To be honest, this is not high on my list of next mods to do on my jeep. What I have planned in order:
New Tires (mine are almost worn out)
rock sliders
Front sway bar disconnects with restraining straps (so I don't over extend)
Then if possible a locker.
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Yes, up to 35mph, (then it can still be locked, but will also unlock to avoid drive train damage) There is a little switch down by the parking brake that locks it.

To be honest, this is not high on my list of next mods to do on my jeep. What I have planned in order:
New Tires (mine are almost worn out)
rock sliders
Front sway bar disconnects with restraining straps (so I don't over extend)
Then if possible a locker.
Keep the swaybar connected,your not going to get anymore flex without it and it will actually help more then hurt.

I never disco my AnitRock,heck I have to use limit straps with the swaybar connected but that is to keep the 1 ton u-joints from hitting the control arm at full droop on the left front.
Unread 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I plan on doing it for ride comfort and the sway bar pushes up on the other wheel, so it reduces ground clearance, and causes a lot more 3 wheeling than if I was disconnected. I know somebody else who has done it and has made a HUGE difference in off road capability. Example:

so the tire not on the rock isn't going down any further than it would normally, but the tire that is on the rock is going up much higher. If I were to do that with mine connected, I would have 1 wheel on the rock and the other wheel in the air.
Unread 02-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I plan on doing it for ride comfort and the sway bar pushes up on the other wheel, so it reduces ground clearance, and causes a lot more 3 wheeling than if I was disconnected. I know somebody else who has done it and has made a HUGE difference in off road capability. Example:

so the tire not on the rock isn't going down any further than it would normally, but the tire that is on the rock is going up much higher. If I were to do that with mine connected, I would have 1 wheel on the rock and the other wheel in the air.
Fully compressed on the LF and fully extended on the RF,swaybar still connected.

Now with SFA and swaybar still connected the body is flat so not uncomfortable feeling in a severe off-camber situation(all 4 tires still touching the ground).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.