Anyone own a 07 Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Anyone own a 07 Compass

UCF Tax Refund Sale - Last One of the Year!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
jameson06

Anyone own a 07 Compass

I have a 2000 Wrangler and thinking of trading on a Compass. My wife would be the driver of the Compass. Would this be a good trade.

Last edited by jameson06; 09-20-2006 at 07:52 PM..
jameson06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
speedstream

For the wife that would probably work.

Wrangler is not to be "compared" with a Compass. I saw one at the dealer and is probably a good vehicle, but should be compared to Rav-4 and maybe subaru.

I have a small Subaru that never gets stuck and fun to drive - this would probably be similar, gets good gas mileage and has some storage. I wouldn't be driving it over mountains, but if it is usually on the road shouldn't be a problem.
speedstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Lady Liberty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Compass vs Wrangler? Two totally different animals, no sense in comparing them, one is trail rated, the other is not.
[COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOr] & [COLOR=white]JEEP OWNERS[/COLOR] OF [COLOR=blue]AMERICA CLUB[/COLOR] Member#7
[URL=http://www.newjo.org/NEWJO/home.html]NEWJO[/URL]
Lady Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Liberty
Compass vs Wrangler? Two totally different animals, no sense in comparing them, one is trail rated, the other is not.
"Trail Rated" - what a crock of marketing shyte.

Quote:
Compass is for those who are only driving on road.
As oppossed to 90% of the rest of Jeep and SUV owners who, only drive on the road...
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
Lady Liberty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
"Trail Rated" - what a crock of marketing shyte.

As oppossed to 90% of the rest of Jeep and SUV owners who, only drive on the road...
I was being polite to those Jeep people who own them but never will even come close to using them for what they are built for. My Jeeps go off road when ever I get the chance to take them there.

The Compass is made and marketed to those who wanna own a Jeep but would never go off road. It looks to be a cute vehicle made to fill a nitch that Jeep hadn't before.

"Trail Rated" is a phrase coined by Jeep that means their "real Jeep" vehicles can actually go off road if the driver actually wanted to take them there (unlike many of the Jeep wanna-be SUV's out there).
[COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOr] & [COLOR=white]JEEP OWNERS[/COLOR] OF [COLOR=blue]AMERICA CLUB[/COLOR] Member#7
[URL=http://www.newjo.org/NEWJO/home.html]NEWJO[/URL]
Lady Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
UTB

Could it be possible to modify a Jeep Compass & make it "trail rated"? Also, what is the definition of a "real Jeep"? Is the Compass a "real Jeep" or is it a "wannabe Jeep"? I'm considering buying a Jeep Compass and wouldn't want to buy a "substandard Jeep". I want a "superior Jeep". LOL
UTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

bla bla bla bla

Last edited by Coasty161; 12-24-2006 at 10:44 PM..
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
yjing

Wrangler is the Father figure

Compass is the new born son, it has a lot to learn, and can not do nearly enough as the Wrangler can.

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #360[/COLOR]
yjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #9
Kev M
2012 WK 

Can't believe I missed this a few weeks ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Liberty
I was being polite to those Jeep people who own them but never will even come close to using them for what they are built for. My Jeeps go off road when ever I get the chance to take them there.

The Compass is made and marketed to those who wanna own a Jeep but would never go off road. It looks to be a cute vehicle made to fill a nitch that Jeep hadn't before.
If 90% of the people who own a Jeep "never will even come close to using them for that they are built for" i.e. "off-roading"

WTF does it matter if Jeep chooses to market a model that is designed to do the only thing that those 90% are ever going to do with their Jeeps?

Quote:

"Trail Rated" is a phrase coined by Jeep that means their "real Jeep" vehicles can actually go off road if the driver actually wanted to take them there (unlike many of the Jeep wanna-be SUV's out there).
No "Trail Rated" is a marketing catch phrase designed to make people who buy Grand Cherokees and Commanders to slosh around the families feel more manly and rugged and generally better about their purchase that they are never going to take off road.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
casm
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
WTF does it matter if Jeep chooses to market a model that is designed to do the only thing that those 90% are ever going to do with their Jeeps?
Or if it's targeted at the people who know they don't want to go off-road, but want AWD for use in the snow, rain, etc. Personally, the Compass and Patriot make perfect sense (to me, at least) to have in the Jeep lineup because they've got the potential to take sales away from Subaru.

Quote:
No "Trail Rated" is a marketing catch phrase designed to make people who buy Grand Cherokees and Commanders to slosh around the families feel more manly and rugged and generally better about their purchase that they are never going to take off road.
Exactly.

One of the most embarrassing things I ever saw was a group of college-age kids who had turned up at a trail I was running in my then-stock XJ with their substantially-lifted TJ. They all got out of the TJ and made a point of making sure everyone within earshot knew that their vehicle was Trail Rated, and commenting on how the other vehicles there weren't. Ahh, the beauty of marketing.

Of course, they weren't as thrilled with shouting the catchphrase when I followed them straight through everything they ran as well as going through some stuff they didn't want to attempt.
casm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

bla bla bla

Last edited by Coasty161; 12-24-2006 at 10:45 PM..
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
gpJeep
1999 WJ 

I really liked the 2002 concept model but the actual production vechile is a bit tooo much to stomache.. ( barffy smile)
gpJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson06
I have a 2000 Wrangler and thinking of trading on a Compass. My wife would be the driver of the Compass. Would this be a good trade.
Looks like nobody gives an answer to the above question. I don't think he asked if the Compass was a off-road rig or comparable with the Wrangler. He just wanted to know if anyone had one.

I don't have a Compass, but we did buy a Caliber which is the Dodge counterpart for the Compass. Really nice car. Very comfortable. The price is right. I love the CVT thing. The CVT takes a bit to get used to, but once you do you'll love it. It gets 2X the gas mileage the Wrangler will ever get. (we have the 2.0 and are getting 23-24 city 29-30 highway) So yeah, good trade for a street rig that you and she will like. The Compass is definately not a off road rig even with the all wheel drive option, but then again a lot of the '07 Wranglers aren't either! LOL

BTW Unless you are just stuck on the Jeep name or the look of the Compass you should check out the Caliber. I think the pricing is a little cheaper on the Dodge. And yes, both are available with the AWD. I believe the Jeep only has the 2.4 engine (no relation to the 2.4 Wrangler engine) and the Dodge is available with a 1.8. 2.0, and the 2.4 including a turbo version. A AWD Compass starts out at a little over 17 K and with the CVT it's a little over 18 K. Our Caliber 2.0 SXT 2WD was about 16.5 OTD. This was a very nicely equipted model. I would recomend either of them. It's a great replacement for the Neon.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheapjeeper
If you want to buy your wife a good new vehicle there are tons of nice AWD
I won't support Jeep if they keep coming out with this crap, I don't want you supporting these pieces either, and trade a wrangler? PLEASE!
Somebody mentioned Suburu, how about one of those, something that is not supposed to spend most of its living life off-road, obviusly neither is this new "jeep".

My local Jeep dealer has 6 JK Wranglers in stock and 5 JK Unlimited's. That makes 11 JEEP WRANGLERS. If you lay on your belly and start counting differentials under them you will only come up with 11 because every damm one is 2WD!

He does have 3 AWD Compasses in stock though. LOL

I sure don't look at a FWD/AWD compact car carrying the JEEP nameplate on it being near as Blasphemous as a "it looks like a real Jeep" 2WD 4 door Wrangler. Now that's just a shame.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.