Anyone have a hitch? HITCH INSTALLATION - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Anyone have a hitch? HITCH INSTALLATION

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #46
phil8400

I built one on the Canadian site and the hitch receiver is not a factory option.

phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #47
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Receiver installation.

The receiver is the same for the Compass and the Patriot, part number 82208815. The kit includes the templates for both, the fastener package and a plug for the end of the receiver. For some additional views go back to post 29 & 32.

Necessary tools:
Scissors, tape, 19mm combination wrench, 11/16 & 19mm socket, ratchet, torque wrench, pliers, marker, half round file and cutting tool such as a jig saw with a short (3”) blade for cutting plastic.

Optional tools:
Air ratchet, 2x4x4” piece of wood, needle nose pliers, ramps or good jack stands.

The illustrated instructions show that this is a 2 person job with the vehicle on hoist. I accomplished it by myself with just car ramps.

First get the rear off the ground as high as you can safely and for a comfortable working position.

When you cut out the template, I would suggest elongating the center of the arc about ½” deeper to clear the hitch receptacle better. You can use the welting supplied to help strike the arc. Tape the template into place using the tab on the inside edge of the fascia to position the template. I found that the template did not sit straight along the bottom edge as indicated so I only tried to position the area closest to the cut out to be straight across. Mark the area to be cut out of the fascia.

There is also a 18" long piece of aluminum “L” channel on the lower lip of the fascia held on by double sided tape, remove this channel. You have the option of cutting this in to 2 pieces and reinstalling it with more double sided tape on either side of the cut out when you are finished.
erecinstfin.jpg   erecinstfin-1-.jpg   erecinstfin-2-.jpg   erecinstfin-3-.jpg   erecinstfin-4-.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #48
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I used a piece of wood, 2x4x4” , to back up the fascia while cutting it to keep the vibration down. The pic that shows up inside the fascia area also shows the “L” channel that I did not remove prior to cutting and another view of the alignment tab for the template. The channel still needed to be removed to get a good fit on the welting. Clean up the saw area with the half round file and install the welting.
erecinstfin-5-.jpg   erecinstfin-6-.jpg   erecinstfin-7-.jpg  

Unread 04-22-2007, 12:06 PM   #49
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You can see from these pics that the bolts are plenty long enough and it takes a while to crank them down. The nuts are self locking so you can not run them up by hand first. This is where the air ratchet would have come in handy. I actually used a ratcheting torque wrench because of better leverage but was only able to do a 1/4 turn at a time.

Start by threading the wire “bolt retriever” over the short bolt and then insert the wire threw the plate with the square hole supplied in the kit. Push the short bolt, head first, up into the square hole in the chassis followed by the plate with the wire going threw it. When the bolt and plate are in the chassis pull down on the wire to position the pieces in place.

Now the real work begins. Tilt the receiver, front up, into position past the exhaust outlet on the passenger side and a plastic canister on the driver’s side and slip the wire threw the bracket that will sit on the bottom of the framework on the passenger side. Continue positioning the receiver and insert the long bolts, washers under the heads, threw the receiver bracket then threw the chassis. You can now start the nuts on the outboard side of the frame rails about one turn before they start to get tight on the threads. Move to the driver’s side and insert those bolts also from the inside out. I tightened the short bolt first using the 11/16” socket and optional needle nose pliers wedged sideways between the chassis and the built in washer on the lock nut while turning it with the ratchet. Next tighten down the long bolts with the appropriate tools, 19mm combination wrench and 19mm sockets. Torque the long bolts to 65 ft-lbs (88Nm) and the short one to 37 ft-lbs (50Nm). Last, install the receiver plug.

Optional: Cut the aluminum channel, removed earlier, into 2 pieces and use double sided tape to attach them to the top lower edge of the cut out in the fascia on either side. I only bring this up because there may be a wind vibration caused by the fascia.

That’s all folks. Without using an air ratchet, stopping to take plenty of pictures and talking to my neighbor, it took me a slow paced 5 hours. No hurry, it was a nice day.
erecinstfin-8-.jpg   erecinstfin-10-.jpg   erecinstfin-9-.jpg   erecinstfin-11-.jpg   erecinstfin-12-.jpg  

Unread 08-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #50
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I received a pm concerning the "shield" under the rear of the Jeep and if I had to take it off to put on the receiver. The answer is no, it's the muffler, and here's some more pics to help clarify the installation. A BUNCH of us got caught on that one back in the "old" days!

Hey folks, don't be afraid to just come out and ask questions in the forum. Sure, you can send me a pm anytime you like and I'll respond but that doesn't add to your posting scores so that you can then link to pics from photobucket or some other host. The forum is a lot more active than it was a year ago, REALLY happy to see all of the new people around and getting involved!

emufflerhitch.jpg   emufflerhitch-1-.jpg  

Unread 08-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #51
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

Well just wanted to add my two cents I worked out a deal when I got my patriot that they would install a hitch in hine sight I should have made them spell out a MOPAR hitch they took my jeep down to U-haul and had that POS hitch installed and it thumps and clicks down the road I am NOT a happy camper at all.
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #52
ryandillard

Using the rear tow hooks and trailer hitch

Please help!! I have an '07 Patriot that is trail rated which among other things includes two front and one rear tow hook. Mine came "tow ready" and I just recently had the MOPAR trailer hitch installed and to my surprise the dealership told me I can no longer use the rear tow hook. Not a big deal except for the gaping hole in the rear bumper where the tow hook used to be. Anyone run into this??
ryandillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #53
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Ryan,
It's been a while since I looked at that area. Here's some pics http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/patriot-limited-fd-ii-test-drive-402333/ .I was thinking that on the rear it came out from underneath the bumper but I honestly don't recall. If you say there is a hole there then there must be!

No suggestions at this time.

BTW. If any of you with the TR Patriots want to add to what I started with my 15 minute test drive please go right ahead. You can't do much of a test drive with a sold Jeep and the sales person along for the ride.

Unread 10-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #54
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

A hitch was one of the things that had to come with my Compass in order for me to make a deal. The dealer already had it installed on the car when I picked it up, and he didn't charge me for the hitch of for installation.
ajadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #55
ryandillard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Ryan,
It's been a while since I looked at that area. Here's some pics http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402333 .I was thinking that on the rear it came out from underneath the bumper but I honestly don't recall. If you say there is a hole there then there must be!

No suggestions at this time.

BTW. If any of you with the TR Patriots want to add to what I started with my 15 minute test drive please go right ahead. You can't do much of a test drive with a sold Jeep and the sales person along for the ride.
From this picture (URL below) you can see the square hole in the under side of the rear bumper in the bottom left. Mine is now wide open with no tow hook there

Patriot Rear Tow hook
ryandillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #56
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

I've been shaking my fist in the air ever since buying my Patriot and reading this forum. Here's another tale:

My Limited didn't have the Tow Group but the dealer gladly installed a 2" Draw-Tite, which was fine with me. The fascia did not need to be cut, which made me happy, but the wiring harness (supposedly factory issue) has to be routed through the rear cargo hatch to use it! WTF is that? "I HAVE TO SHUT MY DOOR ONTO THE WIRES!!!", I shouted. Instantly, I made a complaint to the dealer and they assured me that they have been doing it like this for awhile to keep corrosion out of the connection. Whatever. I wanted it for a hitch-mount bike rack anyway and tucked the wiring inside the interior trim.

Point is, regardless if I am going to use it or not, I felt the dealer was trying to half-a$$ the job and send me on my way. Anyone experience this? I thought so. Maybe I wanted to use the full functionality of the hitch someday but now I have a wiring harness routing that looks like I poked-out both of my eyes and installed it myself.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new MK, but my dealership made this process very sketchy to me.
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #57
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is where I intend to run the wiring for the trailer plug when I get it. This is the shot of with the left rear quarter panel removed and you can see the lower grommet that I will run the plug threw and above is the connection that you plug the harness into.
eleftrearqp-007.jpg  

Unread 10-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #58
ajadams
2007 MK Compass 

The factory hitch works great.
I used it to pull a fullsize Chevy pickup out of a ditch today.
ajadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 06:20 AM   #59
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm still smiling from when I read this the first time.

Unread 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #60
Cyphonitis

Awesome pics and instructions...Can't wait to try this out, been using a old '77 Chevy K20 4X4 Pickup to haul riding lawnmower all over..7MPG on a good day. Soon as I can convince the wife to let me start cutting away parts of her Jeep, it's all good.

Quick question didn't see what you guys used to make the cut? Sawzall?

Thx

Paul
Cyphonitis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.