Anyone have a hitch? HITCH INSTALLATION - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Anyone have a hitch? HITCH INSTALLATION

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-04-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
phil8400

Anyone have a hitch? HITCH INSTALLATION

Has anyone purchased their Compass with a hitch or had one installed.
I want to install one so that I can use a hitch-mount bike carrier.

I was wondering where they can put a hitch given how the bumper "curl’s" down and back into the bottom of the car. Would the hitch have to be mounted well below the bumper? That's kind of low...

phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
alwayslearnin

Actually I am looking into adding the entire factory Trailer Tow Prep Group to mine. This would include:

Trailer Tow Wire Harness Kit, with 4-way flat trailer connector, plugs directly into the vehicle wiring, no splicing required. Mopar part # 82209280 MSRP $110.00.

Transmission Coolers and Engine Cooling Upgrade Kits. Mopar part # 82210700 is the Engine oil cooler Kit for CVT Vehicles. Mopar part # 82210701 is the Engine oil cooler kit for Manual Transmission. MSRP $129.99.

Hitch Receiver 1,500-lb tow rating, 150-lb tongue weight rating, includes Ball Mount, pin and clip, 1 1/4 opening, Hitch Ball sold separately. Mopar part # 82208815 or 82208815AB MSRP $179.00 The AB is an updated version. Not sure what if any changes were made.

Mopar Hitch Balls. There are two options.

Chrome, 1 7/8 Trailer Hitch Ball, 2,000 lb. Rated, 3/4 diameter shank X 2-5/16 Mopar part # 82210395 MSRP $20.00
or
2” Chrome, 2000lb trailer Capacity, 3/4 diameter shank X 2-5/16 Mopar part # 82210396 MSRP $20.00

The Compass is rated for 1000lbs of towing capacity. When equipped with the Trailer Tow Prep Group it is rated for 2000lbs. The cooling upgrade kit is the major upgrade that doubles the towing capacity. Mopar even writes this about it: Greatly extends the life of the transmission by reducing high temperatures associated with off-road or heavy-duty operations. Recommended for heavy-duty trailer towing. In fact it actually seems like a great thing to add even if you’ll never tow anything. The problem is the hitch receiver is only rated for a 1,500 lb tow rating. Even the hitch balls claim that they are: Designed and tested to match the vehicle's towing requirements. They are good for 2000lbs. So I need to find out if Mopar is selling a different hitch receiver than what actually comes from the factory. I need to know this before I will order any of this stuff. So if anyone has any info, please post it here. Thanks!
alwayslearnin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

alwayslernin,

Thanks for that info. I was originally told by DC that the oil cooler kits were a factory installed item only. Figured I could make my own but it's nice to see that it's available.

Sounds like a Summer project to me.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Kev M
2012 WK 

I've had some weird interaction with Jeep over the years concerning tow ratings and tow packages.

I had a factory package on the WJ, but not on the XJ. When I talked to them about adding one to the XJ the CSR claimed that it would not increase the rated tow capacity. I.E. that Jeep only considered factory installed packages when rating the tow capacity and they didn't recommend towing at the full capacity (5k on the XJ) without the factory installed option.

I of course told them that was horse @#%#$%@% but still, I didn't like their attitude about it.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've always figured that the factory gave itself at least a 10% cushion on their ratings like this. Of course THEY want to sell you factory stuff and install it for you but that's how they make their money and for many it would be a piece of mind having the dealer do it. Ya, I don't appreciate snow jobs either, just the nature of the beast.

Unread 12-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I've always figured that the factory gave itself at least a 10% cushion on their ratings like this. Of course THEY want to sell you factory stuff and install it for you but that's how they make their money and for many it would be a piece of mind having the dealer do it. Ya, I don't appreciate snow jobs either, just the nature of the beast.
What I mean is this DC rep was telling me that they considered the tow rating of the XJ to be WHATEVER it was built at EVEN if I added all their factory parts, if the FACTORY didn't install it (not the dealer, not me, the FACTORY ONLY), they wouldn't consider it to be the max.

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
What I mean is this DC rep was telling me that they considered the tow rating of the XJ to be WHATEVER it was built at EVEN if I added all their factory parts, if the FACTORY didn't install it (not the dealer, not me, the FACTORY ONLY), they wouldn't consider it to be the max.

Ya, that could pi$$ of the Pope!

Unread 12-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
phil8400

So does anyone know what the hitch looks like – how it’s mounted?
As per my original post, I'm wondering how and where it's mounted given how low the bumper goes ...and that it doesn't seem to have a cut-out for a hitch assembly.
Unread 12-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #9
alwayslearnin

I'm still working on finding a Compass setup from the factory. As soon as I do, I will take pictures and post them.

I did find this link:
http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/pdf/N87422.pdf

That is a PDF of the installation instructions for Hidden Hitch's soon to be released hitch kit for the Compass. Unlike the factory hitch receiver. This one will be a very heavy duty Class III & IV Receiver with a 2" square receiver tube opening. The best news in my opinion is no drilling required! I'm sure the Mopar kit will be the same way.

Still way more research to do. I'll post whatever I find.
alwayslearnin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslearnin
I'm still working on finding a Compass setup from the factory. As soon as I do, I will take pictures and post them.

I did find this link:

That is a PDF of the installation instructions for Hidden Hitch's soon to be released hitch kit for the Compass. Unlike the factory hitch receiver. This one will be a very heavy duty Class III & IV Receiver with a 2" square receiver tube opening. The best news in my opinion is no drilling required! I'm sure the Mopar kit will be the same way.

I called my dealership today and parts confirmed that the Mopar hitch receiver is the 1 1/4" only. These are so tiny...
Unread 12-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslearnin

I did find this link:

I did a search from the Hidden Hich site and called the local dealer around here. It's priced from them at $108.87 plus instalation. Not bad at all!! Looks like the way to go.

Unread 12-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
phil8400

There actually is a rear fascia cut-out. I hadn't noticed before.
Check your bumper...lowest part which curls back.
I wonder if the needs to be cut-out or if it's held there with some type of fastener.
Unread 12-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Phil,
Where do you see a cut out?Are we just looking at the PDF file from the hiddenhitch link? I don't see a cut out in the drawing or are you crawling under your Compass to see a factory cut out.

Unread 12-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #14
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Phil,
Where do you see a cut out?Are we just looking at the PDF file from the hiddenhitch link? I don't see a cut out in the drawing or are you crawling under your Compass to see a factory cut out.
Crawling. Get down on your knees and take a look. There's a nice sized cut-out for a hitch receiver.
Unread 12-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

OK Phil, you knew that I was going to take a picture, right? This is so the rest of you don't have to go crawling around in the middle of the night, lay on the cold concrete with the temperature down in the 20's. (let's have a Pity Party!) No, I didn't wash it for this shot, I'll let the dealer do that tomorrow.

As far as cutting that area out, it looks to me that the hiddenhitch comes down below the pan and there is no mention of cutting in their instructions. Maybe you need to cut it out for the factory hitch?

Picture moved to post #29.

Last edited by Gramps; 12-09-2006 at 01:07 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.