Anyone Else with Headlight Issues after changing them? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Anyone Else with Headlight Issues after changing them?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
pillzny

Anyone Else with Headlight Issues after changing them?

Background:
I changed my bulbs to some xenon aftermarket bulbs about a year ago. They were some who knows brand but looked really good... the white color I was looking for. The cheap part might of been my mistake

6 months in, they would shut off if I clicked the switch to the on position but since the daytimes kept working, I just dealt with it. I also noticed that the dimmer on the same switch stopped working as well. During an oil change Jeep said it was the switch and ordered one since they didnt have it in stock.

Fast Forward to now:
The Wednesday night b4 Thanksgiving they stopped working all together. Of course it would happen on a foggy night in NY on Thanksgiving weekend right in time for cops looking to hit quotas. Jeep was closed till the Monday after so I spent the weekend going home when the streetlights came on.

Jeep changed the switch and still didnt get it to work. They called me today and said the aftermarket bulbs made the sensitive computer system wacky... even though I did put the stocks back in. I did give them a heads up about having the other bulbs in to make everyone's life easier.

THE POINT OF MY THREAD:
Has anyone else gone through this and for those with aftermarket bulbs, what brands to do you have. I was looking at the Lumics Titanium or Ultra Whites. I like the white look but was considering the Titaniums due to the price difference... want to see what the hype is all about.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by pillzny; 11-29-2007 at 02:23 PM..
pillzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Had this with people trying to hook up fog lights. As long as they are the same amp rating you shouldn’t have a problem.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
pillzny

I didnt check for that last time... Thanks for the heads up
Unread 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
pillzny

Anyone know the amp rating for the Jeep Compass off hand?
Unread 12-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Standard Sylvania. 4.29 amps @ 55 watts; 5.078 amps @ 65 watts.
h-13.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
pillzny

Gramps... What if one of the highbeam wattage is lower than the stock...
H13s
12 60w/55w

H10s
12v 42w

No/shouldnt Go?
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm not sure. Maybe merlinTec can find out for us. I want to say probably OK but this integrated circuitry is new to me too.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
pillzny

I just dont want the comp to recognize that the wattage is a little lower and act up on me again... thanks for the effort
Unread 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
merlinTec

HI
Tried to find the limits for this but I can’t. Not even when I looked up the technical replay for the dealer that was fitting the fog lights they didn’t say what the limits where. However there is a fault code for both high and low control circuits so it is monitored. Reading the training manual the circuits designed to shut down in the event of a short circuit of it’s outputs (too higher current draw). So I would say a lower wattage shouldn’t trigger a fault but don’t hold me to that. Sorry I can’t give you a better answer without contacting technical.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I tried installing HID lights on my compass using the plug & play kit. HID's are rated at 35 watts. The computer and car went carzy. It will definitely recognize a lower wattage and cause problems. Now, how much of a lower wattage is the question. Will it recognize a 1 watt drop????Where is the cut-off?

I would also like to swap out the fog light bulbs with some silverstars. Has anyone had success here?
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.