Anybody think the World Engines will go away? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Anybody think the World Engines will go away?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Anybody think the World Engines will go away?

Gents, with the whole Fiat business, the World Engines being so poorly received (the Hyundai and Mitsu ones are reviewed even better than our own!) and Fiat's supposedly excellent four cylinders, coupled with Chrysler being the sole owner of GEMA (our engine manufacturer), do you think that our engines are on the way out? Kind of worries me if so, the engines bein made for so little time, and the relatively small numbers, what will we do about spare parts down the road?

Unread 10-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
spencernj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Fiat have a good reputation for 4 and 5 cylinder Diesel engines in the sub 2.5cc range. In the european CJD models the small Diesels come from VW and the large ones from Merc so I can see VW ones being replaced with Fiat ones.

Fiat do not have a particularly good reputation for mid and larger petrol engines. They are seen as good at the sub 1.6cc engines and outside Italy Fiat Group (Fiat, Alfa, Lancia) has struggles to sell any cars in the mid and large size so the larger CJD cars and the small Fiats are a good fit and I suppose the same for the engines. The most succesful larger Fiat group car in Europe is the Alfa 159 (and this is probaly the only mid sized card in the Fiat range with any significant sales outside Italy) and this is based on a GM Europe platform the same one as the Opel Vectra and Saab 93.

Fiat's outstanding models are the 500, Panda and Punto which sell like hot cakes and are brilliantly designed and styled. These are considered small cars in Europe so by US standards tiny.

So in summary of the world engine is any good then Fiat will not get rid of it BUT there are several excellent european engine manufacturers which Fiat could turn to for CJD such as european VW, Renault and Peugeot whose engines are already used by other manufacturers. (Nissan use Renault, Mini use Peugeot, CJD use VW, Ford use Peugeot).
Unread 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
vulcanbmk2

Even Chrysler have been a little dissapointed in the World Engine , I dont think it performed was was economical as they had hoped. The pick of the bunch was the 2 litre gas. I had one in my Dodge Caliber & it was a great performer & economical with the CVT Trans . The 1.8 was a nothing engine they should never have bothered with that one in a heavy car, & as my salesman told me , " Dont buy a Petrol 2.4 Patriot with CVT or 5 speed , they are thirsty & too slow for the British"& for an extra 400cc you dont get a lot more power over the 2.0 litre.Anyway I have the 2.0 litre VW Diesel engine in mine , so I'm laughing. However this may be replaced with a 2.2 litre Mercedes Benz Diesel . I cant see this happening , as I imagine FIAT will want to put one of their own diesels in the Caliber/ Patriot / Compass.Also I can see FIAT wanting a home for their range of petrol engines also.
Unread 10-26-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Speaking of Fiat Green Car Congress: Fiat Extends Bravo Range with New 2.0L Diesel

The 2.0 VW diesel wasn't available in N.A. maybe the Fiat diesel will be.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Jawa78
2008 MK Compass 

Thats funny as I driven the Diesel compass when I was in overseas. It was disappointing on the motorway. No where near the get up and go of my 2.4L Gas engine. Now I was averaging 41 motorway mileage Which is oh about 10 mpg more then my compass on the Highway aka motorway. That living in warm FL that completely flat.

The VW Diesel was sluggish to get out of third and quick to drop back down from 4th to 3rd, like most cheesy ecnomical Diesel sold in the UK.

If they made the VW Diesel so it could have a CVT option I would still buy one as I like the Safety aspects of diesel better then gas... aka you cant light diesel up with a spark that it needs compression + spark to catch on fire. Also I ran accross a few sites that show the diesel compass getting close to 52 motorway mileage.

But when I put it through it paces. I have with out confortable got my petrol 2.4 up to 117 with out red lining it just confortable crusing speed. The diesel had issues trying to get above 90

Mileage = Diesel
Speed = Gas
Jawa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
vulcanbmk2

My Uk Diesel Pat does 0--60 in 9.2 Secs, I usually get 42---47 mpg & have run for may miles on Motorways at 100 mph ( Keeping my eyes open foe cameras & Police ) I must admit 2 cars ago I had a Skoda Superb with a VW 1.9 TDi engine & a Tiptronic auto box----Now that WAS a GREAT Combination. I tried a Compass, but it has the same visibility problems My Caliber had ,windscreen pillars you could hide a bus behind, bad rearward three quater over the shoulder vision & its jelly mould styling!!
Unread 10-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Jawa78
2008 MK Compass 

Vulcan, Jermey Clarkson has rip appart that vw diesel 7 ways to sunday. It is an awful diesel engine. It is a time for a over hual. I dont think fiat going to do it. They will actually probably make things worst.

And I happen to love diesel. I just happend to pick up A liberty not too long ago that has the MB CRD engine and I love it.

Personally I dont thing that the vw engine they have in hte MK is worth a darn. On the drag I averagign 7.5 0 to 60 With the only difference right now being the prefromance exhuast header // still have cold air intake // cat back system // lift to go on the to do list.

Problem with the compass / pat with the 2.4L with CVT is that most sales people have no idea what the hell they are talking about. CVT have to be broken in, I found that other then breaking in the cvt that the computer tend to learn your acelleration habits, which you tend to train it . No lack in pep on the 2.4L world engine just people too lazy to take them on a extended test drive.
Jawa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
vulcanbmk2

I had the 2.0 ltr Gas Engine with CVT on my Caliber---I learned a little trick on Caliber Forumz How to set the ECU/CVT to be smoother & learn your driving style ---And it worked for me with great results. I have nothing against CVT . I used to own a VOLVO /DAF 66 with the orignal Van Doorne rubber belts cvt , & that was years ago.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.