Anybody with remote starter on compass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Anybody with remote starter on compass?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
hotsha

Anybody with remote starter on compass?

Hello all,

I recently bought a Compass and was planning to install a remote starter before winter. Does anybody happen to know what kinda security system does Compass use? I'm guessing it's Transponder type( Sentry type: chip on key), since it's a Chrysler product? Can anyone confirm that?

I asked the sales guy and he was of no help. Did try searching some remote starters website with no help, since compass is new?

Thanks!!

Last edited by hotsha; 06-11-2007 at 06:13 PM..
hotsha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Mopar has one for Calibers already, look it up on Mopar, they should have it listed.
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Wyckoff Chrysler, one of the forum vendors, sells them. Not for use with Security Systems.

http://www.wyckoff-chrysler-parts.com/mofarest.html

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
hotsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
Mopar has one for Calibers already, look it up on Mopar, they should have it listed.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked through mopar and didn't find any explantion to the security system. I found this on jeep.com

Has anyone installed remote starters on Compass? any advice or tips for installing one on jeep. I have installed a few on dodge and chrysler. It shouldn't be a problem since I'm familiar with dodge's, still a little worried installing on a NEW vehicle.
Unread 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Whoops, forgot to answer that part of the question . It's Transponder type( Sentry type: chip on key), since it's a Chrysler product. Confirmed. Extra Keys are easy to program if you have 2. I recommend getting the spare key now. I did get a standard key and it does open the door in case my keys are locked in and it fits nice and flat in my wallet, it does sound the alarm and it won't let it run for more than like 15 seconds. I also got a hold of the Security key with remote for a spare.

If you've done a remote start on a MOPAR before you shouldn't have any problems. These fit more than the MK's.

AND, back! I thought that the deal went REALLY sour!

Unread 06-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #6
lynnk

I bought the MOPAR one and had the dealer install it. Integrates perfectly into the security system. I got the one with the 2-way communication ... it beeps and flashes indicators to let you know the car started and when you shut it off (or it shuts itself down) plus has a car locator / panic button on it. It was a bit pricey for installation but I am no longer up to doing that stuff myself anymore.

2007 Jeep Compass Limited
CVT2 Autostick
Remote Start
RAQ Radio w/ Sirius
lynnk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I emailed WyckoofChrysler about this concern:

Quote:
In the Compass Owners manual there is a note on page 15 that says
“NOTE:
The Sentry Key Immobilizer System is not compatible with remote start systems. Use of these systems may result in vehicle starting problems and loss of security protection.”
However, one of our JeepForum members has had the MOPAR remote start installed in their Compass and says that it works fine.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...84#post3839784
This system that you list:
http://www.wyckoff-chrysler-parts.com/mofarest.html
has this additional information:
All systems may require programming changes by a Chrysler dealer to operate properly.

The question is – does the Compass require this additional programming and is that why this system works even though the owner’s manual says that it shouldn’t.
This was their response:

That warning is for AFTERMARKET remote start kits that deactivate the Sentry Key system by hiding a key inside the dash. The Mopar system should work just fine. The Mopar system will need to be activated by a Chrysler dealer. It is 5-10 minute job that most dealers would probably do no charge.

Unread 06-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
hotsha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
If you've done a remote start on a MOPAR before you shouldn't have any problems. These fit more than the MK's.

AND, back! I thought that the deal went REALLY sour!

Thanks Gramps. Yeah, the deal almost fell off but we were able to get a different Compass with similar deal, though.

Back to the topic.... I'm trying to use aftermarket: Bulldog Security remote starter and the bypass module(to deactivate the sentry/transponder security system). The reason I want to go with aftermarket is 1) I'm comfortable with this line of products. 2) Great technical support, if any thing goes wrong. 3) It's way cheaper to other products(it would cost me $20 for remote starter on sale and $28 for bypass module = $48) and very straight forward. 4) it's very reliable in long run and I have had Zero problems.

I'm not trying to sell their product, I'm just comfy with them, since I have installed a few.
I still have to read the manual completely, as Gramp mentioned, I should watch out for the instructions in manual.
Will my warranty be voided, if I install it myself?
I'm not sure how it works with Jeep?
I'm going to the dealer this saturday and I will ask them about my options. If it causes a problem with warranty, I might have them install MOPAR one or live without a remote starter for awhile.
Unread 06-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If you don't have the Security System (not meaning the Transponder Key, they all have that) then it would probably work just fine. Just a guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.