Any chance of TJ rims fitting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Any chance of TJ rims fitting?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 08-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Any chance of TJ rims fitting?

So... I have acquired a nice set of TJ Ravine 15x8 rims with 30x9.5x15 A/T's in excellent shape. What are the chances of getting these on the Patriot with an RRO lift? I am not adverse to running wheel spacers.

Wheel specs:
* 15x8 aluminum
* 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern
* Backspacing = 5.5"
* Offset = +25 mm

937Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 02:35 AM   #2
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

They will "fit" but some 15" rims won't clear the brake calipers, will have to test fit them to find out.
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Thanks for the response. I get that they both have 5x4.5 bolt patterns and I can probably research the center bore diameter. I guess I wanted to know if anyone else had tried them yet or not.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

I compared the stock 17" rim/tire specs to the Ravine's with 30x9.5's via an online calculator:

Inner Clearance: 4.05mm or 0.16in less
Outer Position: extend by 34.05mm or 1.31in
Diameter difference: 2.43" (7.98%)

It looks like I would probably need spacers to clear the brakes as the inner lip actually moves inward and not outward like would aid in a 15" rim clearing the brakes. Cheap steelies are the price of good spacers so now decisions decisions... I guess I could keep the tires and sell the ravines to pay for new soft 8's.

For a variety of reasons I am not ready to lift the Patriot anyway. Among them is horrible experiences (both personal -but several years old- and personally witnessed) with Rocky Road. They have put out lifts in the past that are so poorly designed that they caused damage to the vehicle and it took them years to quit selling them. The KJ OTT is an example of this. Just this week I personally witnessed them lying about having items in stock and shipping times. Against my advice a friend ordered a TJ spare wheel spacer through RRO several weeks ago. This is a common part available from a dozen sources. RRO said no problem it would be here in a week. 8 days out without a shipping update & he calls them and gets the standard BS response of " we are backed up in the warehouse and just couldn't get it shipped so it will be another week." This has been shown in the past to be their lie when they sell an item they do not have in stock and then string you along to keep the sale. This continues for 3 more weeks before he cancels the order and demands a refund ( which has yet to be credited!). RRO has a l o n g history of such shenanigans. So I am not yet ready to deal with such an unscrupulous company and they are the only game in town. I can't imagine anyone paying $700 for a CRDSTU lift that only gives you 1" of lift as it does with the newer 4x4 MK's so that is out as an option. As far as I know those are the only options?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.