Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Another newbie question

688 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  diver110 
#1 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the other threads.

How big a deal is the FDII? I am a 4WD offroad wannabie, but don't actually know much about it.

#2 ·
The FDII comes with all the off road goodies (skid plates, low range, front and rear tow hooks, 1" more clearence, ect) and is a better way to go instead of adding it at a higher cost to the FDI. Had I known when I purchased mine (FDI) I would have went with the FDII.

#4 ·
They can be a big deal depending on your terrain. If you need the "rock crawler" ratio of the FDII to get up some steep hills, over boulders, logs, ect then definitely get it. If your trips will be some what gentler then the FDI can handle most situations. The hill descent control of the FDII is a big plus in you have some steep down grades but you'll have 4 wheel disc brakes on the FDI. Skid plates, tow hooks and some decent tires are a must if you going to do anything at all. Some MK FDI owners got hooked on off roading and moved on up to Wranglers and Libertys. It depends on what your satisfaction level is.

Don't bother thinking about converting to an FDII from and FDI. Outside of buying and installing the pieces you won't have the proper VIN code to enable all of the goodies. I hate to be a spoil sport on that but it's more than just some simple parts swaps.

The Patriot FDII is probably the BEST small, inexpensive, impressively capable SUV that you can buy.

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.