JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Another acceleration issue... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/another-acceleration-issue-564007/)

Elihawk 05-28-2008 08:14 PM

Another acceleration issue...

When my 08 Compass is cold, my gas pedal has a lag...to shift, I let up on the gas and then the clutch, but when cold the rpms surge even when my foot is off the gas, just for a split second. After I have driven for a 8-10 blocks, this problem goes away. Anyone else have this? Thoughts from you mechanics?

Gramps 05-29-2008 06:14 PM

You're the first with that one on reporting it. Not a clue!

CoriolisSTORM 05-29-2008 06:22 PM

These engines seem to have a certain lag to them at all times, but especially when cold. I notice it on my 2,4L Caliber when cold, you rev the gas and it takes a sec for the RPMs to drop. (Mine don't go up as it is a CVT one) It also does it on the highways, I saw a comment from an SRT4 owner lamenting this as well, but I don't remember why he was...

Snowplow 06-08-2008 08:16 AM

lag when cold????

Thats new to me, my 08 rallye with the manual acts like a race car when its cold, but after it warms up the motor lag is very bad no power until 4 thou RPM,s.

JeepinGirlCT 06-08-2008 08:33 AM

I notice if I don't let my Pat warm up, when I attempt to drive off, it "hiccups" for lack of a better word - lag in response that I'd have to give a significant amount of gas to overcome. I have to push in the clutch, give it a little more gas, then try again. It only happens once, and by the time I'm at the end of my street (1/8 mile), it doesn't happen again. My husband's does the same thing. Thought it was a Patriot thing...

Funny thing-I used my A/C for the first time since buying the vehicle. It seems to shift better than with it off- funny since every other vehicle I've had seems to lag down the engine with the A/C on. Peculiar but not bad-

Gramps 06-08-2008 08:49 AM

I had the same singe hiccup before I had the Performance TSB done that applies to April '07 build dates and before, no problems since then. They may come out with another TSB to fix yours.

The new A/C units on the MKs draw very little hp and the electronics are programmed to up the idle speed when it's turned on.

Tuksonrider 06-08-2008 10:54 AM

That's the exact thing that happens with my mazda pickup truck. Only when it's cold. When I start the engine, it idles a bit low, I tap the gas, and it surges even when I release the gas pedal. After I go a bit down the road, it doesn't do that anymore.

In the summer time, it NEVER happens. Figured it was normal, and never had a problem with the truck.

JeepinGirlCT 06-09-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gramps (Post 5313374)
I had the same singe hiccup before I had the Performance TSB done that applies to April '07 build dates and before, no problems since then. They may come out with another TSB to fix yours.

The new A/C units on the MKs draw very little hp and the electronics are programmed to up the idle speed when it's turned on.

Interesting-thanks!

Elihawk 06-09-2008 08:01 PM

Guys, I have had the hiccup...but not so much since it is not longer cold outside. The RPMs rev/lag I still get. I really thought that I had just forgotten the clutch/accelerator foot-timming, but I recently drove my freind's 5 spd truck like a horse at the preakness. Anyway, especially out of first gear I get a rpm surge AFTER I let up on the accelerator and release the clutch...especialy for the first couple miles I drive. Once the engine is warm, not so much...

Gramps 06-10-2008 04:34 AM

Eli, this may not be a TSB issue but that doesn't mean that your pcm couldn't stand to be flashed. It's just another computer and we all know that they get a bug or wrong code in them some how. MANY of the early Calibers had to have their pcm's flashed/replaced so I would take it to the dealer and see if they could take a look at yours.

The time now is 03:54 AM.