Alternative bike racks... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Alternative bike racks...

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Alternative bike racks...

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative bike racks (other than the Mopar roof ones)

like hatch mounted or hitch mounted?

I have a Rallye - so I'm not sure I can even get a hitch mount anyway but I'm trying to check my options out.

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

That is a tough one. I was looking at the after market stuff and didn't see much out there other than hitch mounted racks. I didn't even see anything for the roof either. The primary reason I bought my Compass was because I could put my bike inside with both tires on it. Another option is to remove the seat and front wheel and have a board with a fork mount. That is my plan when I go to events and plan to camp overnight, bike on one side, me sleeping on the other
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Saris makes whats called a Guardian 3 that looks like it'll work as a hatch mounted bike rack - and its' not bad at $120....

http://www.saris.com/p-217-guardian-3-bike.aspx

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
..reason I bought my Compass was because I could put my bike inside ..
Same here. I actually brought my full suspension mountain bike to the dealer and made sure that it would fit inside (If it fits then all my other bikes will fit).

The way the roof rails are designed precludes the use of any aftermarket roof rack system and since you have the ralley body kit a hitch mount may be out of the question. So, by default the Mopar roof rack is probably the best bet.

If I need to transport more than one bike then I just use my Father's Liberty on which I put a couple of Thule V2 mounts plus it has a receiver hitch if I need to carry more than two bikes.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent33 View Post
Saris makes whats called a Guardian 3 that looks like it'll work as a hatch mounted bike rack - and its' not bad at $120....

http://www.saris.com/p-217-guardian-3-bike.aspx

It might work, but do consider the problems with this type of rack:

1. Most times that hatch cannot be used with the rack attached.

2. Many bikes do not fit well on the arms.

3. Bikes tend to move and bang together while traveling down the road.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
Urr

Adding the list

4. Bikes might get dust/dirt/sand on them

5. The holder might scrach the paint

But on the other side
- it's very universal and fits on almost any type of vehicle

I personally have this one (probably older model):
http://www.thule.com/Thule/ProductPage____33574.aspx
and it has lived thru 4 vehicles...
In bright and happy future: Jeep Wrangler
Urr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.