Air noise with rear windows down 09 patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Air noise with rear windows down 09 patriot

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 05-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
ratman91
2009 MK Patriot 

Air noise with rear windows down 09 patriot

I just bought an '09 patriot and my daughter decided to roll down the back window on the freeway and the air comming in created a pounding in my ear. The noise was like changing pressure in the jeep about twice a second. if I roll down a front window the sound goes away. The noise only happens above 40 MPH and only with one or both rear windows fully down. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Could use some sugestions on what causes this.
Thanks

ratman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

yep.. almost all compass's do that.. not sure why. If you want a real eye popping experience leave both front windows up and both back windows down..now hit about 100km.. You feel like your head is going to explode!
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Almost all SUV's and station wagons do that including the Chevy HHR.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Dacaur
2008 MK Patriot 

Every SUV and most cars I have ever owned and or ridden in do that when you have only rear windows down. Its due to the air rushing past the open rear window, rather than into it, which creates a negative pressure inside the vehicle. (think about how a big rig creates a suctions behind it, which small cars use to save gas, same concept) Atmospheric pressure rushes in to equalize the pressure, once the pressure is equalized, the air still rushing past creates a negative pressure inside the vehicle... and the cycle repeats.. rolling down a front window stops it happening, since when the front windows are down air flows into the jeep, preventing the negative pressure from occurring.

As for the sound, The way speakers create sound is by vibrating a membrane, which moves air back and forth, well, think of your jeep as very large subwoofer... you get the picture...

The reason it only happens with the BACK windows is due to aerodynamics... The front windows dont have a flat area in front of them like the rear ones do (That flat area being the front window), and when you open a front window, air rushes IN the window, rather than PAST the window like in the rear...

99 WJ Laredo
2.5" Budget boost, 265/75/16 tires, K&N air filter
www.dacaur.com/jeep.html

Past Jeeps:
1992 YJ 4.0, 5 speed 6", lift 33's
1992 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1999 XJ 4.0, auto, 3" lift, 31's
1985 XJ 2.5, 5 speed, no lift, 255/70/15's
---------------
Dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
deepnite10

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP..

at first i thought it was the tires..

then i found that cracking the front windows eliminates
the thumping..*somewhat*
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass , patriot , rear windows , wind noise

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.