Aftermarket Radio Installation Guide (beta) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Aftermarket Radio Installation Guide (beta)

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 06-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Maybe this will help. It's the PDF that reflects the installation of the Mopar IPOD Kit, but it gives a nice display on removing facia panels and the stock heads. The PDF includes several models, so scroll down to the Compass/Patriot section.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82209617.pdf

zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
websurrfr
2007 MK Patriot 

^ That PDF is very helpful. If anyone else has something similar with written instructions it would be great. I'm planning on replacing my factory basic stereo this week and the combination of that PDF plus the instructions in this post are very helpful but I'm very very new at this type of thing so if someone has a link to a walkthrough for idiots that would be awesome. Thanks!

As far as I understand it I'll just have to get the radio out (the hard part) and then use the supplied harness I get with the aftermarket radio and crimp some wires to make it work.

Also, can someone with an aftermarket radio installed please verify what harness you used and verify what functionality you lost or didn't lose? From reading this thread it looks like the deck won't be illuminated but that's the only thing lost? I just want to be absolutely sure of everything I do before I go to work on my brand new Jeep. Hope I'm not being a pain, thanks!

edit

On second thought, after staring at that PDF for a while I think I should be just find if I can find the right tool. I guess I really just need confirmation for the second and third paragraphs of my original post.

Last edited by websurrfr; 07-07-2007 at 05:57 PM..
websurrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I don't believe that it's necessary to remove the "A" Pillar Covers, Front Trim Panel or the Glove Compartment to get the radio out. That is only for running the wires for the Ipod. Figure 3 shows about all that needs to be rmoved.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #19
websurrfr
2007 MK Patriot 

I have replaced my factory head unit with a Pioneer DEH-P3900MP. It works perfectly. I have lost ZERO functionality. I used the standard cheap harness that Crutchfield supplied. I did not need a CANBUS harness to retain any functionality. Thank you all for your help.
websurrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrone
Having said that, I will cover the removal of the dash panel and a wire tap for switched pos (+) power.

Dash Removal

Tools needed: Phillips Screwdriver or Socket Set, a panel puller if desired, rag or towel.

1)
The first thing you will need to do is remove the top panel of the dash, highlighted here:

This is probably the hardest part of the project. As you will see in this photo:
there are several clips holding the top panel down.

Additionally, there is a long tongue holding the front of the panel down, seen here:

You must pull on the sides of the panel, releasing the side clips, and then pull the panel in an arc until the tongue slips out of the groove.

2)
Now that the Top panel is off, you must remove 2 screws from the top of the dash, pictured here:

You must now release the bottom of the dash trim. The next step is geared toward a manual transmission, those of you with CVT, please update any differences.

3)
Remove the rubber gearshift boot by pulling upward. Remove the silver trim ring by unscrewing 2 screws pictured here:

4)
The Dash Trim will now pull out. I advise placing a towel or rag on the bottom of the trim to prevent rubbing on the shift console.

The HVAC controls will prevent the trim from being removed completely. They are held in with screws on the reverse of the panel:
Removing them will allow for full trim removal.

5)
Admire all that space behind there!! Disconnect your Radio, install your mounting kit, and get wiring!!! For those of you who care to elaborate, please do so
Here's some updated pictures from my early production (6/06) Compass. The top panel is somewhat different from the one posted by iamrone. As I popped mine loose I heard 3 of the clips fall down inside the dash. They are probably laying on the floor inside the lower front section of the console which I'll take off at a later date. I pick up some at the dealer until then. Also that front tab was mounted on a plastic stake and the stake broke off. No big deal it's an easy fix.

Pic 1 - Top cover
Pic 2 - clip
Pic 3 - HVAC trim
Pic 4 - HVAC connectors
Pic 5 - Radio

Your own from there. It should be pretty easy. Putting everything back together is also very easy.
ecs-3-.jpg   ecs-5-.jpg   ecs-6-.jpg   ecs-7-.jpg   ecs-8-.jpg  

Unread 07-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

A couple more pictures.

The CVT shift Knob just pulls off by pulling up on it. The trim ring comes out easily by using a panel tool. Then there are 2 screws that hold the shifter bezel in place.
ecs.jpg   ecs-1-.jpg  

Unread 08-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #22
plunderisley

if you dont have any special tools to remove it, what can I use then? or should I just go to my dealer to do it?
plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 04:27 AM   #23
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Your "location" says EU so I'll take that you are in Europe and I'm not sure of your supply houses over there. The most handy that I've used so far are the 3rd and 4th from the left. You should be able to find something at a household/kitchen supply store that you can use to make one. Plastic is preferred so that you don't scratch the parts that you are working on, about 6mm (1/4") thick tapering down to almost nothing over about 25mm (1"). Just looking around my garage I found a plastic handled brush that I could cut down nicely and make it work. Just about any sturdy plastic handled spatula may do the trick, too. You're just trying to wedge something between the parts and pry them apart. On the top cover, start on the sides closest to you and work towards the windshield. Lift up on the rear of it and slide it towards you to pull it out. There are no clips in the front where the "tang" is located.
etools-1-.jpg  

Unread 08-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #24
plunderisley

actually im in the USA now. I stopped by Autozone, but they didn't have anything like that.
Would a large putty knife work?
Unread 08-14-2007, 04:50 AM   #25
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It may but, something wedged shaped would be better and a putty knife may be too flexible. A gasket scraper would be better but it is metal so be careful. I got mine from Harbor Freight online, the local store didn't have them. A paint and auto body supply store should have them. Are you here for a while or for good? Where abouts?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

Unread 08-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #26
plunderisley

Now I'm in chicagoland area (from Joliet actually) but I spend about 9-10months/year in Poland. I bought a compass here and am fixing it up with a car computer.
I bought a replacement front bezel for the NAV system which fits my 7" touchscreen fine, and I just need to mount it and power it.
Its powered with + Battery, - Batery and + ignition.

after I get it all done, ill ship it out to Poland. (and it is cheaper than buying there as a limited compass is over 60K USD and shipping is 1-1.6K USD)
I'm actually only here for about a week and trying to finish this build.
Unread 08-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #27
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunderisley
Now I'm in chicagoland area (from Joliet actually) but I spend about 9-10months/year in Poland. I bought a compass here and am fixing it up with a car computer.

If you get any time when done, could you post pics and/or install equipment.

I have been researching CarPCs for awhile and pretty much have most of the computer parts laying around except for the touch screen.

Thanks a bunch,
Jim

ps.. I was born and raised for 14 years in Ottawa, IL. Not far from Joliet.
Unread 08-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #28
plunderisley

Sure!
I went to the jeep dealer and he had no problem unsnapping it. It was more force needed than I thought ( I was afraid I would break it)
Unread 11-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #29
ericg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxjockey
Maybe this will help. It's the PDF that reflects the installation of the Mopar IPOD Kit, but it gives a nice display on removing facia panels and the stock heads. The PDF includes several models, so scroll down to the Compass/Patriot section.

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82209617.pdf
Does anyone know where the full Installation Guide is? The document should have 22 pages and include instructions for Dodge vehicles as well.
I'd like to see how to get this in my Durango.

Thanks
ericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
markhallgren
2009 MK Patriot 

instal radio 09 patriot ?
markhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass , guide , head unit , install , patriot , radio , remove

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.