Aftermarket Radio Installation Guide (beta) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Aftermarket Radio Installation Guide (beta)

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Aftermarket Radio Installation Guide (beta)

Sadly there isn't a whole lot of info out on installing an aftermarket deck in the Compass. I had to piece together the steps using Dodge Caliber info.

I propose this thread be freely modified and updated by those with better pictures and/or addtional install details. Sadly my digital camera is several years old, of poor quality, and doesn't handle closeups very well!!

Having said that, I will cover the removal of the dash panel and a wire tap for switched pos (+) power.

Dash Removal

Tools needed: Phillips Screwdriver or Socket Set, a panel puller if desired, rag or towel.

1)
The first thing you will need to do is remove the top panel of the dash, highlighted here:

This is probably the hardest part of the project. As you will see in this photo:
there are several clips holding the top panel down.

Additionally, there is a long tongue holding the front of the panel down, seen here:

You must pull on the sides of the panel, releasing the side clips, and then pull the panel in an arc until the tongue slips out of the groove.

2)
Now that the Top panel is off, you must remove 2 screws from the top of the dash, pictured here:

You must now release the bottom of the dash trim. The next step is geared toward a manual transmission, those of you with CVT, please update any differences.

3)
Remove the rubber gearshift boot by pulling upward. Remove the silver trim ring by unscrewing 2 screws pictured here:

4)
The Dash Trim will now pull out. I advise placing a towel or rag on the bottom of the trim to prevent rubbing on the shift console.

The HVAC controls will prevent the trim from being removed completely. They are held in with screws on the reverse of the panel:
Removing them will allow for full trim removal.

5)
Admire all that space behind there!! Disconnect your Radio, install your mounting kit, and get wiring!!! For those of you who care to elaborate, please do so

Last edited by iamrone; 02-21-2007 at 05:56 PM..
iamrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Wire Tap: Switched 12v (+)

While searching for a wiring harness for my aftermarket radio, I was told I would need to buy a CANBUS interface in order to provide my deck with a switched 12v (+) source. These interfaces can be in excess of $100...

Not to be detered, the next best thing seemed to be tapping into an already switched power source. By doing so it would obviously turn off with the key, but would also retain the 45+second power delay once you shut the vehicle down.

The easiest source (for access and testing) seemed to be the cig. lighter.

After popping off the shift boot and shift boot trim ring, you have easy access to the lighter. Using a standard wire tap or split connector you simply need to connect to the RED wire.

This can somewhat be seen here... though a better pic would be appreciated:

Run a length of wire to the Switched 12V input of the deck and you're on your way.

Hope this helps!
Unread 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

iamrone

Thanks! They might not be National Geographic quality but at least it gives us a real good idea of what we're dealing with.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
JOJOJEEP
2009 KK Liberty 

Thanks, I've been combing the net for this info....including the Caliber forums!
I miss my XM, but now Sirius and XM are merging....I think I'll still get more out of my Panisonic HU than the Jeeps. I want to mod the speakers too, I don't have the Boston setup in mine.
JOJOJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
JOJOJEEP
2009 KK Liberty 

Meant to add I have found the CAN Bus SWI for around $50 on eBay and through the PWI (think it's PWI or PWA website).
JOJOJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
stevej1j8

I found a site at www.metraonline.com that sells an installation kit with a small pocket underneath. The model number is 99-6507. You navigate in and it gives the installation instructions. The kit is also good for the Caliber, Compass, Patriot and several others. The diagram is a bit simple but with the photo instructions above, it can be worked out.
stevej1j8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

^^I wish I could have got that kit!

I would have rathered another pocket than centering the radio.

Great find!
Unread 02-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
x96mnn
2008 KK Liberty 

Do you have any issues with the service engine light since you installed the after market radio or your A/C system.

When I look at the wiring diagram the radio is part of the Bus and by removing it the A/C may only work at half is capacity or errors being displayed in the series engine light by not reading the nodes correctly. I was looking at putting a JL system in mine but was thinking I would need to leave the factory installed and hide it up under the dash to avoid errors in The Bus.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Only function I lost was Radio Station display on my Dash.

Air/Defrost is working fine and I've experienced no errors as of yet.

However... I did not attempt to use the factory CANBUS relay... so it should just skip the radio all together.
Unread 02-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Oh I did lose my illumination output to deck.

Useful:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/pro...Bus&strSearch=

Last edited by iamrone; 02-25-2007 at 07:01 PM..
Unread 03-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
compassforbyfor

Head Unit

Anyone know how take out the stock head unit ?
thanks
compassforbyfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
Jekyl1

Help Removing Panels to get to Radio

Hi!
I am a first time poster, so please be kind...

I have a new '07 Patriot. I upgraded to the 6 disc changer not realizing it does not have the AUX jack that comes on the standard stereo.

Anyway, I found an aftermarket product (CHYX Chrysler CANBUSAuxiliary Input).

Can anyone help me figure out how to remove the paneling surrounding the stereo?

I have a stick shift. I succeeded in popping off the front edge of the panel surrounding the stick, but the back edge won't budge. I don't want to force it, so I thought I'd ask here. Maybe some of you have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Jekyl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You'll need some panel trim removal tools and there are some good instructions here towards the bottom:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...100930646&rd=1

Unread 06-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
Jekyl1

Thanks Gramps.

That is the link I was looking at, too!

Yes, the instructions are helpful, but they don't quite explain how to remove the panels. They just say "unsnap it". But, when I try, it really feels like it's attached more sturdily and may break.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I could get panel removal tools?

Also, do you, or anyone else, have any idea where the ipod/aux jacks would be once the unit is installed?

Thanks!
Jekyl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I got these from Harbor Freight. Shipping was as much as the tools though. I also found single ones on eBay for about what the set cost me. You may try the dealerships or Auto Paint and Body Stores. The one in the center is the most commonly used.

Most would run the connectors over to the tray above the glove compartment or in to the glove compartment itself.

The top panel has 4 spring clips that just snap down to hold it on. There’s a good description starting back up at post #1 by iamrone (yup, I merged the posts.)
etools-1-.jpg  

Tags
compass , guide , head unit , install , patriot , radio , remove

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.