Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Aftermarket radio

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  LuZ 
#1 ·
Hi...

i want to change the radio into my Patriot 2008...

I heard that the wire harness works for the sound but the power is in another wire harness. (Is why the radio closes only when we open the doors)...

So someone got guide to help me for the installation ???

I know how to remove the radio, i only want to know how to plug the other radio into !

Thanks

#2 ·
You will need a CanBus adapter for whichever radio that you get. What are you getting and from whom? Crutchfield has some kits that I've heard will work, maybe some others, too.

#4 ·
Even the basic radio uses the CanBus system, it's got to do with the Intergrated Power Module and all of the electronics. I'll try and dig up some threads to link to tomorrow.

#6 ·
#7 ·
You are correct in needing to run the red wire to an ignition power source. I went to Circuit city and bought the standard Jeep wire harness (the installer knew which one) for like $29.99. He was very helpful and stated i needed to do this. I ran mine (the red wire from this plug in harness) to the cig lighter power wire and it works perfectly. Radio goes off when the door opens. Its this simple. No need having to get any additional adapters. You will also probably need an antenna adapter.

#11 ·
You can start a new wire from the +positive wire on the cig lighter wires. Splice it in and run it up behind the dash to your radio. Thats it. I have had no problems....thought i might blow a fuse at first because of the power draw, but that never happened. Also have the XM power source tapped in there too. Beats trying to fish a wire through the firewall. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.