After market Stereo & iPod Integration Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > After market Stereo & iPod Integration Kit

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
earlage

After market Stereo & iPod Integration Kit

I am a new compass owner and I have been reading a lot of threads regarding the installation process of an after market stereo. I get the process, but I dont like how the harness looks. How the stock dials and just plugged with the harness. Is there anyway around this? I saw how if you get the NAV system, the install kit comes with a whole new dash kit. Also, does anyone know if the iPod Integration Kit worth the money? How do you control the iPod through the stereo? Thanks!

earlage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlage
I am a new compass owner and I have been reading a lot of threads regarding the installation process of an after market stereo. I get the process, but I dont like how the harness looks. How the stock dials and just plugged with the harness. Is there anyway around this? I saw how if you get the NAV system, the install kit comes with a whole new dash kit. Also, does anyone know if the iPod Integration Kit worth the money? How do you control the iPod through the stereo? Thanks!
I've been looking into it for some time, but put it on hold due to lack of supply/support locally here (Australia). I feel the same way too (don't like the patch up job with the stock dials). The only other way I see you getting around this, is by purchasing the outside frame for the stock system with the NAV - and buying the dash kit for this. Not sure how much they are worth though, and if you can buy them?

I also queried my dealer about the iPod integration kit, for me it's not worth it $150AU. I'd rather put the time and effort in replacing the stock stereo - and buying a head unit that has the built in interface for an iPod.
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
earlage

yah, the NAV kit is $70, that may be the way to go I guess. I think I might go with a Pioneer Nav system with a built in iPod interface. Not quite sure tho. I was also reading about how you have to have your dealer activate something when you replace the stereo? Anyone know what thats all about?
Unread 11-20-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
athanasios

How to fit a Pioneer Head-Unit is covered here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/fit-different-head-unit-compass-425672/
athanasios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
earlage

Hey thanks! I was wondering if that would work or not, I guess it does!
Unread 11-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlage
I bought the Mopar IPOD kit, had it installed (With my REC NAV radio), and it's garbage. I subsequently had it ripped out.

The biggest problem is that it uses Sirius channel numbers as its "Commands" to the IPOD unit. You essentially select a channel from a list in the user's manual that represents "Playlists" or "Artists" etc. (All different channels). You then let a brief timeout go by and the kit navigates the IPOD into that next layer, at which point you make some similarly silly choices. It's extraordinarily cumbersome, and if you're driving at the time, downright dangerous. There isn't any "Last song" memory, shut down the system, you're back at square one.

Also, if you are actually using your Sirius, selecting the IPOD for use wipes out all of your Sirius presets.

There were other issues, but those were my big ones.

On the upside, sound quality was great as it always is with direct-wired systems.

It's almost like it was designed as a quick afterthought, and I'm patiently waiting for someone to properly design one.

Hope that helps.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.