Advise before buying new Patriot 4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Advise before buying new Patriot 4x4

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Woody_in_MN

Advise before buying new Patriot 4x4

I was looking for an affordable 4x4. I like the looks of the Patriot - but before today never even sat in any Jeep. I drove a 2014 Patriot w/ the auto 6 speed. Honestly, it did not blow me away. The transmission was heavier than I am used to in my Nissan Altima. BUT this might be the right car for me right now. We will be retiring to a county house in MN in the next couple years. I am looking for a 4x4 to cope with snowy MN Winters - decent MPG - comfortable seats - small SUV size. From the test ride I am not going to impress anyone with acceleration - but it got me on the freeway OK - so that is probably all I need. What really impressed me is when the Salesman told me it was a life time warranty. Since this might be the last car I buy - this was HUGE to me. The Patriot did not blow me away - but I did like it, and they already told me they would take trade on my Altima for at least what I owe - around $12,000.

Any advise before I sign the papers? I work for a bank - so I know I will be a great loan whether it is Jeep Finance or my bank.

I will most likely get a 2014 - but there are some 2013's at the dealer w/ the CVVT. Should I avoid them? I have CVT on my Altima, and it works well I think - and has given me great MPG. But I read the CVT on the Jeeps were kind of clunky?

Thanks in advise for any help.

- w

Woody_in_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Skip the cvt. and the lifetime warranty is a Chrysler add-on. $3,000 for the Lifetime MaxCare. i have it.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Patriot is a car, not a Jeep. There are far better small 4x4s out there, and your definition of decent MPG must be different from mine. IMHO, Jeep in general has no clue how to get decent fuel economy... but then, economy isn't what I have my Jeep for.

As for 'snowy winters' I'd be a lot more likely to look at something with far more sophisticated all wheel drive over a Patriot, and probably not something with that high a center of gravity, if I were looking for a great snowy highway vehicle.

Have you ever driven a 4 wheel drive vehicle on snowy roads? Those who have not often have expectations that are not met.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I would argue that the patriot is a jeep... and it handles snow great, I have taken my pat into snow a couple of times. I do have ATS tires which handle the snow better than the stock wrangler sr-a's (which are a poor tire to be honest...) The AWD system, which lets the computer sort out which tire needs power is very very good, and for snow is exactly what you need/want. and the ability to lock the power 50/50, just like a t-case does really makes a big difference as well. also, the awd system can sent 100% power to the rear, 100% to the front, or split it as needed. Most current fwd based AWD systems send at most 40% to the rear. most people with the FDI 4x4 seem to get between 25-27 mpg average mixed, which is respectable for 9.1" of ground clearance, awd, and the boxy shape (no aerodynamics for us!)
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Patriot is a great vehicle in snowy road conditions and it is a Jeep in it's own reguard. Compared to the other small SUV's in the market it is really quite good. It's not a Wrangler but I think my Patriot is just about as good on the slick and snowy roads we have.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Woody_in_MN

Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as the "Life Time Warranty" - we threw some numbers around yesterday - but maybe my sales guy was adding in the warranty. I am going to call him this morning about that piece.

Speaking of warranties - any opinion on what the best value would be? Maybe not buying an extended warranty is the best move?
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

I'm really excited to see how my Patriot fares in our wild Boston winters. I've got the FD1 so it should be interesting.
BostonStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_in_MN View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Speaking of warranties - any opinion on what the best value would be? Maybe not buying an extended warranty is the best move?
As a former mechanic for 15+ years many of the extended warranties I seen were crap and looked for excuses to bounce claims. The better ones seemed to be the ones that were offered by the maufacture of the vehicle but also more expensive.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I bought mine specifically for the snow, to which it works fine. It's got an inch more clearance than my Volvo wagon had, lockable 4wd, a lifetime warranty, and cost over $12,000 lessthan a new Volvo would. Only problem is its slow and the transmission is springy.

People that are underwhelemed with 4wd in snow are the ones that expect it to stop better. 4wd only gets you going faster.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Woody_in_MN

I did talk to my sales guy. The warrantys are extra - but he is going to run some numbers. I told him I wold not have time to close today - but we could decide on colors and options.
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
Woody_in_MN

I may start a new thread for this - but for Factory extended warranty, my sales guy came back with:

Lifetime - $2,900
7/70 - $1,800
7/60 - $1,700
5/60 - $1,500
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Woody_in_MN

Just an update - I did get the 2014 Pat last week. The dealer reduced cost to $1,200 for 7/70,000 warranty - so I put that into the deal.
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome, congrats!
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Where are the pics???
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Woody_in_MN

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.