Advice on wheel problems with dealership - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Advice on wheel problems with dealership

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Advice on wheel problems with dealership

Ok, so they put these 20" wheels on the Compass. They were suppose to be taken off and replaced by the stock 18" wheels that come stock on the Limited. Well, when the deal was all done, nothing was written up. So I am thinking free 20" wheels .... only problem, they shake. I took them to Les Schwab, they could not balance them. They guys there, which I have good rapport with said they are kinda cheap tires and they never heard of the wheels. So I want to take the Compass to the dealership and either have them balanced, or removed and replaced with the stock 18" wheels. Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

The more I think about it, I would rather have the stock wheels anyways. If I want aftermarket wheels, I would be better off buying something quality and something I really want.

Thoughts ... suggestions?

'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Just my thoughts. Unless it was specified in the contract that the wheels and tires were not covered under any warranty then the dealer, not Jeep, should have to cover them.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Gramps, I agree. They were suppose to call me to take them off, especially since they wanted like $2500 for them on the little added options list. Oh well, I guess worse case scenario I keep them, complain, and have them sell me a set of take offs cheap. We bought our 2006 SRT8 Charger, our 2008 Durango and the Jeep there, I am sure if I make a big enough stink they will take care of me. Now if I could just figure out what is wrong with the Charger ... 18k miles and on the 3rd set of tires ... just don't get it, the back ones go bald real fast ....hmmmm?
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Unread 03-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
Now if I could just figure out what is wrong with the Charger ... 18k miles and on the 3rd set of tires ... just don't get it, the back ones go bald real fast ....hmmmm?
Improper tire "rotation"?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

I thought that too, but the back tires are wider than the front ones Must be the way the wife drives it - hehe

Unread 03-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Just check the rear wheel wells- I am sure you will find where the rubber has been going

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Update on wheel issue .... I am gonna get a set of the 17" Compass Sport wheels from the dealership in place of the shaking 20" wheels that they put on the vehicle. I know this seems like a step down, and it probably is if you were to buy the wheels at full retail. I actually like the look of the 17" Sport wheels better than the 18" wheels. I also feel that for my daily driver and if I ever decide to put bigger tires on it, I shouldn't have much of a problem finding tires to fit the 17" rim.

I really don't want a bling'd out compass, I want a daily driver that I can take in the snow if I need to, go in a little bit of mud with my mtn bike if the situation arises. Not to mention I will probably get a little better gas mileage with the 17" wheels than the heavy 20" wheels, which is a good thing right now

So in the end ... tomorrow morning, they are gonna swap the wheels for me, and I am gonna be all happy and on my way.

Good choice??

Unread 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Update on wheel issue .... I am gonna get a set of the 17" Compass Sport wheels ...Good choice??
From my point of view - Yes. The wheel size and design is one of the reasons I was only looking at sport model Compasses.

Even in the 17 inch size you will find the tire choices to be sparse. I don't care for the base Firestone Affinities and the "upgraded" Goodyear SR-A that I have are an average tire at best (At least they have a "rugged" look to them.

I did find that one can get Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads in the property 17 inch size. I had these on my previous vehicle and they did very well in the rain and snow.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
Unread 03-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
From my point of view - Yes. The wheel size and design is one of the reasons I was only looking at sport model Compasses.

Even in the 17 inch size you will find the tire choices to be sparse. I don't care for the base Firestone Affinities and the "upgraded" Goodyear SR-A that I have are an average tire at best (At least they have a "rugged" look to them.

I did find that one can get Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads in the property 17 inch size. I had these on my previous vehicle and they did very well in the rain and snow.
They have the Goodyear SR-A tires on them. I have thought this over and over in my head and I feel this is the best choice for me. And I do like the more rugged look

Unread 03-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
JLink
2007 MK Patriot 

Great to hear the dealer not only made good but actually helped you out by giving you what you truly wanted.
a Scan Gauge II and a Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2653175]CarDomain[/url]
JLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

The SR-A on my window sticker were $120 add and the full size spare was $140

Anyway the SR-A are only about $80 each to replace.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #12
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Well, I am done. The dealership took care of me. Now I have the Compass Limited with the Sport wheels ... and I actually like it. I am thinking of doing the lift now and getting some bigger tires. Oh yeah, the sales person was there and filled my tank up for me too

Happy Jeepin

Unread 03-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

I am curious if you notice any difference in the ride quality?

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Actually ... lucky for me with my 60 mile commute I noticed a difference. It is smoother and quieter and no shaking. I am very happy with the result. I would say the difference is almost like going from a Huffy to Hopping on my Colnago and trying to ride a century. Yes, the 20" wheels had the bling factor, and they did look good on the vehicle, but I am happier with the 17" wheels and the ability to use the Compass for what I bought it for.

This weekend, going to go paint balling out in the country at a friends house ... gonna try to take the compass off road a little bit. Nothing serious, but we'll see

Unread 03-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
... gonna try to take the compass off road a little bit. Nothing serious, but we'll see
Just keep in mind the ground clearance (Should be about 8.4" with the SR-As) and the fact that the underneath is un-armored.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.