Advice on stock tire size Firestones.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Advice on stock tire size Firestones....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
BumpShaman
Registered User
2014 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Babylon, NY
Posts: 39
The reason I ask if you're with Chrysler/Jeep (seems to be the case, based on your signature) is that I feel you would be able to provide a more firm answer to this question than a regular owner can (that is, everyone else on this forum). But the answer is still too vague for me to make a decision here. I feel that the responses I've been getting are intentionally walking a fine line between saying yes and no. Which does not instill confidence.

I personally don't mind if the odometer is off by 2-5% (whatever the actual number is). I'm concerned that I'll be denied warranty coverage because someone will blame my barely-larger tires.

Can you provide a more firm answer as to whether the warranty is or is not affected -- officially -- by me putting a non-stock tire size on my Compass?

BumpShaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,430
I work for Chrysler Group LLC. I don't know how the "legalese" will be interpreted. I'm not a lawyer. I can't give you an official answer.

The modification - putting in a larger size tire, in and of itself, won't void your warranty. The costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be
caused or needed because of the larger sized tires wouldn't be covered.

However, the installation could potentially, eventually, alter the odometer reading.
Would that be addressed under this section?:
These actions will void your warranties:
• disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the odometer
will void your warranties, unless your repairing
technician follows the legal requirements for repairing
or replacing odometers;
Could (would?) a dealer deny warranty coverage?
That's where the question comes in. I don't know the answer.

What if you were at 35,900 miles and the dealer notices you have larger than stock tires on your vehicle? Would they fix your air conditioning under warranty? Could they decline, saying the mileage was off? I don't know.
__________________
Lee
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpShaman View Post
I personally don't mind if the odometer is off by 2-5% (whatever the actual number is). I'm concerned that I'll be denied warranty coverage because someone will blame my barely-larger tires.
Problem lies with now you confused the computers since the wheel speed sensors will be out of sync with the trans speed sensors and the internal mapping programs.Causing all sorts of issues and increased heat loads on the trans,which will impact the mpg's as does the simple increasing the final drive ratio.

Larger then stock tires have already been known to cause driveline and drivetrain issues so they already have proof to deny any warranty on the driveline/drivetrain.Some newer vehicles also are having issues just by slightly increasing the tire size all due to the ESP.


Oh and by the way you have a passenger car,your driving a Dodge Caliber with different sheet metal and badges.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
BumpShaman
Registered User
2014 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Babylon, NY
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

Problem lies with now you confused the computers since the wheel speed sensors will be out of sync with the trans speed sensors and the internal mapping programs.Causing all sorts of issues and increased heat loads on the trans,which will impact the mpg's as does the simple increasing the final drive ratio.

Larger then stock tires have already been known to cause driveline and drivetrain issues so they already have proof to deny any warranty on the driveline/drivetrain.Some newer vehicles also are having issues just by slightly increasing the tire size all due to the ESP.

Oh and by the way you have a passenger car,your driving a Dodge Caliber with different sheet metal and badges.
All of that makes sense. But I don't know that any of it changes the fact that support for a larger tire size would be a service to Compass/Patriot owners. I won't personally be doing the larger size right now. Too much ambiguity regarding the impact on my warranty. But I do have a few thoughts on your comments...

Yes, crossovers are SUV-inspired bodies built on top of car foundations. But that doesn't say anything about how many crossover owners use their crossovers compared to a coupe or sedan, and why they bought a crossover (instead of a passenger car, or an actual SUV). I think it's safe to say that most crossover buyers are looking for exactly what they get, and what you alluded to -- a car with expanded all-weather and all-condition capabilities. Better tires add to this expanded capability. (No?) Also, there's precedent in the industry: I've seen crossovers from other companies using larger and more suitable tire sizes. So it's not unreasonable.

As for the electronics being ever-so-slightly-off... point taken. And no argument here against why you shouldn't put larger tires on without the computer being set for them. But this is exactly why an official software update supporting 225/65R17 would be ideal given the interest that the Compass/Patriot community has in this larger tire size. So your point doesn't change the fact that it would be a service to Jeep customers to make this possible for us. Even if Chrysler/Jeep is ending the Compass/Patriot line.
BumpShaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpShaman View Post
. So your point doesn't change the fact that it would be a service to Jeep customers to make this possible for us. Even if Chrysler/Jeep is ending the Compass/Patriot line.
That is a lot of $$$$ to come up with a flash like that,then you'd all get pissed having to pay for it since it would not be any type of thing covered under any warranty.The fact is that they are stopping production so they will never spend anymore $$$ on developing mods for it regardless how many owners ask,which I would think would be less then 0.001%.NO aftermarket company will pick it up either most likely as not enough demand since 99.9% of all Caliber,Patriot,and Compass owners never mod there vehicle in anyway let alone venture off pavement.


Just throw the tires on there and be done with it,if you never would have said a thing to anyone there would have been a 99.9% chance they'd never even bother to look or care since the size difference is not that great,not even enough to notice.Now you'd never have gotten away with it if you tried to shoehorn say 31" tires under there.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
BumpShaman
Registered User
2014 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Babylon, NY
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Just throw the tires on there and be done with it,if you never would have said a thing to anyone there would have been a 99.9% chance they'd never even bother to look or care since the size difference is not that great,not even enough to notice.Now you'd never have gotten away with it if you tried to shoehorn say 31" tires under there.
Well I don't know about all that. My dealership is on top of everything. The first thing that came out of my service advisor's mouth after I mentioned the larger stock tire firmware flash was: "Are you putting 215/65R17 on there?" And from there, a short lecture on tire limitations on the Compass. So it depends on who you're dealing with.
BumpShaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #22
BumpShaman
Registered User
2014 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Babylon, NY
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

That is a lot of $$$$ to come up with a flash like that,then you'd all get pissed having to pay for it since it would not be any type of thing covered under any warranty.The fact is that they are stopping production so they will never spend anymore $$$ on developing mods for it regardless how many owners ask,which I would think would be less then 0.001%.NO aftermarket company will pick it up either most likely as not enough demand since 99.9% of all Caliber,Patriot,and Compass owners never mod there vehicle in anyway let alone venture off pavement.
How do you know who would and wouldn't want to pay for such a thing? Seems like quite a broad stroke to apply with no information to back that up.

Regardless, I got enough information from Chrysler/Jeep to know where they stand on this, and enough excellent insight from fellow owners here to know what my options are in the future when my warranty is up.
BumpShaman is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.