JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Advice on stock tire size Firestones.... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/advice-stock-tire-size-firestones-1700498/)

BumpShaman 10-19-2013 11:52 AM

Advice on stock tire size Firestones....

Hey all. I have a credit with Firestone due to an issue I had with the stock tires. I can put it toward any Firestone tire (and presumably any other brands they make). I'd like to upgrade to the larger stock size, 215/65R17, but if there are better options in the smaller size I could go that route. (Was considering one size above stock, but Jeep warned me against it.)

I'm looking to get good all around performance, mostly street use, with the best snow performance possible. I do drive on the beach from time to time, but this isn't a priority.

Any suggestions?

aroundincircles 10-20-2013 12:19 AM

other than the affinity's the only firestone/bridge stone that I can find in a size that would fit the patriot 17" rim is the Destination LE 2, it comes in a 225/60-17 and a 225/65-17. I would go with the 65 series myself.

tire rack has a pretty good rating system, and the affinity's are crap, and so are 90% of the other tires sold under the firestone/bridgestone brand. the 225/65-17 size is a very very popular size on the other jeep patriot dot com forum. and many guys run it with 0 issues at all, no rubbing, and no drive train issues. its just barely bigger than the larger stock size. 28.5x8.86" vs 28x8.46". it will fill out the wheel well just a tad more, give you more comfort on rougher roads, and offers more tire options. and better traction in all conditions.

Now I was looking at light truck tires, not passenger tires. I wouldn't put passenger tires on my suv. the only passenger tire worth its salt by those brands are the blizzaks/winterforce.

BumpShaman 10-20-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundincircles (Post 16985858)
other than the affinity's the only firestone/bridge stone that I can find in a size that would fit the patriot 17" rim is the Destination LE 2, it comes in a 225/60-17 and a 225/65-17. I would go with the 65 series myself.

tire rack has a pretty good rating system, and the affinity's are crap, and so are 90% of the other tires sold under the firestone/bridgestone brand. the 225/65-17 size is a very very popular size on the other jeep patriot dot com forum. and many guys run it with 0 issues at all, no rubbing, and no drive train issues. its just barely bigger than the larger stock size. 28.5x8.86" vs 28x8.46". it will fill out the wheel well just a tad more, give you more comfort on rougher roads, and offers more tire options. and better traction in all conditions.

Now I was looking at light truck tires, not passenger tires. I wouldn't put passenger tires on my suv. the only passenger tire worth its salt by those brands are the blizzaks/winterforce.

Thanks for the insight!

I was considering the Destination LE2's before I had these tire issues (the reason I'm replacing the tires right now)... except that my dealership warned against it, claiming it would affect my factory warranty. I'll upgrade to these once my warranty runs out.

skip11and1 10-20-2013 09:38 AM

a certain tire would affect your factory warranty? lol....i hate stealerships

BumpShaman 10-20-2013 12:18 PM

Even worse... Jeep/Chrysler themselves told me the same thing. I'll post their response to my customer service inquiry about this later tonight.

aroundincircles 10-20-2013 02:44 PM

what warranty items would be affected? having a slightly larger tire should affect no items at all. that's a crap response. My dealer encouraged me to get bigger tires. I don't think you have anything to worry about going up a half inch in tire size...

BumpShaman 10-21-2013 10:39 AM

Who's know why Chrysler said it. My dealer said the biggest issue is the odometer bring off. Warranty mileage would be harder to judge in the case of an issue or claim...

Yeah I'm not happy wIth that response either, especially since I'm on my way to Firestone to settle for crap Touring tires to replace mine.

BumpShaman 10-21-2013 10:40 AM

*odometer BEING off

BumpShaman 10-21-2013 04:54 PM

Here was the response from Jeep Customer Service regarding putting 225/65R17 on the Compass:

Dear Robert:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center in regards
to your 2014 Compass.

Your vehicle was designed to operate with the size of tires that were
installed at the factory. We do not recommend that you change the tire
size on the vehicle.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide technical assistance. You may
contact your local dealership for further assistance, or you may refer
to the vehicle's Service Manual.

While a more favorable response could not be provided, we feel this
referral action will provide the best resource for your inquiry.

Thanks again for your email, Robert.

:facepalm:

aroundincircles 10-21-2013 08:16 PM

Personally, I would still get the better tires, all their other tires have terrible terrible ratings and reviews.

BumpShaman 10-22-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundincircles (Post 17034394)
Personally, I would still get the better tires, all their other tires have terrible terrible ratings and reviews.

I really want to. Just not happy with passenger tires on this vehicle. But without the full blessing of Jeep and my dealership, I'd be asking for major problems in the future if I ever need to utilize my warranty for something serious and they throw my choice of tire size in my face.

I think it's ridiculous that they don't provide a formal method (software, support, etc) for owners to put better tires on these vehicles. Very upsetting.

I hope Jeep comes through and changes their messaging on this. I just filled out a customer satisfaction survey and included all of my thoughts on this. No reason they should be telling owners like me that they don't recommend any tires that aren't the limiting stock sizes. My complaint probably won't make any difference at all -- but at least I got to voice my frustration.

JeepCares 10-22-2013 07:47 AM

Here's the wording from the 2014 Jeep Warranty booklet:

3. What’s Not Covered
3.1 Modifications Not Covered
A. Some Modifications Don’t Void the
Warranties But Aren’t Covered
Certain changes that you might make to your vehicle do
not, by themselves, void the warranties described in this
booklet. Examples of some of these changes are:
• installing non-Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) parts,
components, or equipment (such as a non-Chrysler
radio or speed control); and
• using special non-Chrysler materials or additives.
But your warranties don’t cover any part that was not
on your vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant or is
not certified for use on your vehicle. Nor do they cover
the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be
caused or needed because of the installation or use of
non-Chrysler parts, components, equipment, materials,
or additives.
Performance or racing parts are considered to be
non-Chrysler parts. Repairs or adjustments caused by
their use are not covered under your warranties.
Examples of the types of alterations not covered are:
• installing accessories—except for genuine Chrysler /
MOPAR accessories installed by an authorized
Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealer;
• applying rustproofing or other protection products;
• changing the vehicle’s configuration or dimensions,
such as converting the vehicle into a limousine or
food service vehicle; or
• using any refrigerant that Chrysler has not approved.
B. Modifications That WILL Void Your
Warranties
These actions will void your warranties:
• disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the odometer
will void your warranties, unless your repairing
technician follows the legal requirements for repairing
or replacing odometers; or
• attaching any device that disconnects the odometer
will also void your warranties.

The statement "Your vehicle was designed to operate with the size of tires that were installed at the factory. We do not recommend that you change the tire size on the vehicle." is true. The (computer) "electronics" on your vehicle were set up for the tires put on at the factory.

The decision is made to offer a few different tire/wheel sizes. We're not going to go out and test every tire size out there.

BumpShaman 10-22-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCares (Post 17044770)
The statement "Your vehicle was designed to operate with the size of tires that were installed at the factory. We do not recommend that you change the tire size on the vehicle." is true. The (computer) "electronics" on your vehicle were set up for the tires put on at the factory.

The decision is made to offer a few different tire/wheel sizes. We're not going to go out and test every tire size out there.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us about this.

Unfortunately, in this case, Chrysler/Jeep is not being asked to test "every size out there". And it's not fair to word it like that. There is a specific size that is clearly popular among Compass/Patriot owners because the COMMUNITY has figured out that it does not cause rubbing (or other size-related) issues. That single size, very specifically, is 225/65R17. A little more height, a little more width, better ride comfort, slight lift (better clearance), better load handling due to stronger tire construction, etc. There wouldn't be much to test on Chrysler/Jeep's part, because it's a better tire size all-around and it fits. Compass/Patriot owners have found great success with this tire size. Just one example: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/w...nning-1524982/

I don't think you would tell me that ONE tire size would take much time to test and tweak for owners. In fact, some dealerships support this, so why wouldn't Chrysler/Jeep as a whole? Now that you know about customer interest, you could act on it. To give a relevant example of this sort of thing -- my own Jeep dealership just told me that Chrysler/Jeep sent engineers to their dealership recently to work together on why the newer model Grand Cherokee vehicles did not handle SAND DRIVING as well as the old models (because this is a big deal for folks living on Long Island, due to our many beaches and beach homes). The engineers wired up a new Grand Cherokee, drove to the beaches, and tested out how they could improve the electronics to make it better. THAT is how it's done.

Now, I'm loving my 2014 Compass. I don't regret the purchase, overall. That said, I also don't feel that Chrysler/Jeep is allowing we Compass/Patriot owners to take full advantage of this vehicle, because it is essentially a hybrid car/SUV (aka Crossover Utility Vehicle) with two stock tire sizes that only afford passenger tires, which makes the tires the vehicle's weakest point as far as performing as it should given it's 4x4 option and how many owners use the car.

One new tire size. That's all it would take to test. If Jeep put just a little time into testing this tire size and releasing a software flash so that our odometers read accurately, this: wouldn't be a warranty issue; would show that "Jeep Cares"; and it would make us Compass/Patriot owners happier customers.

Jeep isn't just any brand. It's JEEP. There's a legacy here, regardless of the vehicle model. You guys could do this if you wanted to. And then we could have full support for the preferred Compass/Patriot tire size.

And thank you again for commenting here. The engagement with the community is appreciated.

JeepCares 10-22-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumpShaman (Post 17048162)
One new tire size. That's all it would take to test. If Jeep put just a little time into testing this tire size and releasing a software flash so that our odometers read accurately, this: wouldn't be a warranty issue; would show that "Jeep Cares"; and it would make us Compass/Patriot owners happier customers.

In this case, though, I doubt it would happen as the vehicle is being discontinued.

My first thought would be the Wrangler. And all those different sizes. I doubt that will happen either. I could be wrong - just an educated guess.

There are "aftermarket" ways to get the speedometer reading correctly, I believe. How many people actually do it? From what I gather, most people just figure out what speed they are actually going, but don't bother to fix the speedometer - especially when the tire size change isn't that much.
I wonder if anyone has been denied warranty repairs specifically because of the odometer reading differently due to putting on different sized tires.

I do appreciate subjects like this, though, as "real life" owners' opinions can be noted.

BumpShaman 10-22-2013 12:50 PM

JeepCares... you are with Chrysler/Jeep?

The time now is 06:13 PM.