adding steering wheel u-connect buttons to the 11 compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > adding steering wheel u-connect buttons to the 11 compass

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

adding steering wheel u-connect buttons to the 11 compass - POSITIVE UPDATE!!

i still have a sore taste in my mouth from chrysler from when i bought my compass. according to the brochure, if you get the 430 radio, it comes with u-connect on the latitude. that was not the case, and i wound up installing the kit, but it does not include the buttons on the steering wheel, which i want.

Gramps, do you think you can find me the wiring schematics for the OEM u-connect system, and for the mopar accessory? i'm trying to see what each of the wires do in the accessory kit, which i believe is the same as the OEM. if i'm right, there are two wires that go to the control box to tell it when either the voice command or phone button is pressed. if this is the case, then it's as simple as splicing into those wires to wire in additional switches to the system. then, its a matter of finding out how to replace the left panel on the steering wheel with the one with the two buttons, and finding out how they're wired in. i can feel a screw on the back of the steering wheel that feels like it holds that panel in.

for reference, here are the buttons i'm talking about. they are the two in the upper-left corner of the steering wheel:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_J3_liDBfbv...eel%2BView.jpg

IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

so, after a call to chrysler's engineering team (yes, that's how hard this part number was to find), i was able to get a hold of a switch for the steering wheel mounted uconnect controls coupled to the evic buttons. here's the best part: this part is only $35! which is amazing considering that the part it is replacing is $80!

so, anyone with a 2011-2012 compass who has added the u-connect accessory after the fact and is upset they don't have the steering wheel bluetooth controls, no need to worry, they can be added. here's the thing: you must have the EVIC display in order to do this upgrade. if you don't know what that means, look at the controls on the left side of your steering wheel. if you only have 2 buttons ("Step" & "Reset"), then you can't do this upgrade. you would have to have 4 buttons ("Menu" N > V) in order to upgrade. the buttons are entirely plug and play, the wiring between the two cars is the same. you just plug it in and go.

you have to unbolt the airbag to get to the bolts, but it's not hard at all. you can do the swap in 20 minutes. when i get to work tomorrow i'll post some PDF files on how to remove the front of the steering wheel to access this switch.
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
CompySilver11
2011 MK Compass 

Just as a side note to this - I do not have the EVIC in my Jeep, and was able to successfully install the switch panel. The Menu and Compass icons now substitute for my Step and Reset buttons, and the Voice Command and Phone buttons work perfectly!

It was quite a bear to get the whole assembly out, since the directions I was working with were from the previous steering wheel. I counted 2 bolts for the Air Bag, 6 T-25 Torx screws for the plastic surround, two phillips screws on the bottom part of the wheel, and then the three small torx holding the switch panel in.

I had just enough room to sneak the whole airbag assembly underneath the wheel and on top of the column to keep it out of the way while I was working.

I appreciate the hint - this was a very worthwhile upgrade (along with the UConnect itself.)

-Daniel
CompySilver11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompySilver11 View Post
Just as a side note to this - I do not have the EVIC in my Jeep, and was able to successfully install the switch panel. The Menu and Compass icons now substitute for my Step and Reset buttons, and the Voice Command and Phone buttons work perfectly!

It was quite a bear to get the whole assembly out, since the directions I was working with were from the previous steering wheel. I counted 2 bolts for the Air Bag, 6 T-25 Torx screws for the plastic surround, two phillips screws on the bottom part of the wheel, and then the three small torx holding the switch panel in.

I had just enough room to sneak the whole airbag assembly underneath the wheel and on top of the column to keep it out of the way while I was working.

I appreciate the hint - this was a very worthwhile upgrade (along with the UConnect itself.)

-Daniel
you got the wrong panel, they make one with the step, reset, VR, and uconnect buttons only with dead buttons on the lower right section. they come from the avenger i think. but either way, as long as it works that's all that matters
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
CompySilver11
2011 MK Compass 

Now I have two buttons to mess with people... The right arrow is for ejector seat and the other one is for turbo boost!

Hrm... that will have to be the next mod.
CompySilver11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
zstatman
2013 MK Compass 

My left-hand panel just has the Set & Reset but there are what might call "pop-outs" for other features: 2 to the right of and just like the Set & Reset then 1 larger plate above these 4, any idea what for?

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" (anonymous)
zstatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sorry for not looking over this thread for so long! My FSM is for the 2007 and covers up to the 2009 very well, somewhat on the 2010 but really falls short after that. I am glad that others are helping out.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstatman View Post
My left-hand panel just has the Set & Reset but there are what might call "pop-outs" for other features: 2 to the right of and just like the Set & Reset then 1 larger plate above these 4, any idea what for?
they don't pop out, you would have to replace the whole switch panel like we did. scroll to my original post to see what the panel looks like with all 6 buttons in place.
Unread 07-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
zstatman
2013 MK Compass 

Thanks IRS
zstatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
Kulae
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What was the part number for that? <--Nevermind found the p/n Where did you end up getting it from? <--Nevermind got this too And it's probably too late now, but pictures of the install? Maybe a quick and dirty how to.

Thanks!
Skyjacker 2" BB, 1.25" JKS BL and 1" JKS MML
75 WX ST CB radio with a 4' Firestik antenna
1.5" Seat risers custom made
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich T/A and Procomp Rockcrusher Series 99 rims
Kulae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulae View Post
What was the part number for that? <--Nevermind found the p/n Where did you end up getting it from? <--Nevermind got this too And it's probably too late now, but pictures of the install? Maybe a quick and dirty how to.

Thanks!
i got it from my parts department. i didn't take any pictures of the install, sorry. i had a PDF from my service department on how to take everything apart, it took probably 15-20 minutes to swap the module in. just be careful when taking the silver T trim off the steering wheel, those mounting tabs are fragile and i broke one.
Unread 08-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Kulae
2006 LJ Wrangler 

"just be careful when taking the silver T trim off the steering wheel, those mounting tabs are fragile and i broke one." -- IRSmart

I dove into the steering wheel today on a side project of swapping the uconnect audio controls from volume on the right to volume on the left. In the process, I broke those little tabs off on the left side ;-) doh! Went to the dealer today and told them I just noticed it felt like it wasn't connected (the Pat is only a week old) so they're going to replace that little T bezel for free.
So basically the whole thing was a bust today, I'm not as easy as i hoped able to wire the audio controls the way I want and I broke it. Oh well, on to the next project.
Unread 08-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

you won't be able to swap the audio buttons unless their shapes are mirrored. IIRC, the buttons themselves are what sends the signal to the radio to tell it to turn the volume up or down, not the wiring. the whole car has a communications system (CANBUS) which is why this mod is plug and play. the module does all the work and sends the appropriate signal through the canbus wire. if i'm right, you'd need to swap the buttons, not the wiring.
Unread 08-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Kulae
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ah, oh well none the less. Thanks for the info!
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
maxlax11

I want to do the same on my compass' steering wheel with the uconnect buttons. What part number is it and where do i find it?
maxlax11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.