Adding a New 12V Plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Adding a New 12V Plug

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 12-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
zstatman
2013 MK Compass 

Adding a New 12V Plug

Mine only has 1 and its activity is controlled by the key being off or on. I would like to install another one that is always hot. Must I run new wires from the battery to the plug or is there another access port, so to speak, where can run always hot wires to the plug?

Tks

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" (anonymous)
zstatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This isn't quite the answer you want but it's a start. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/a...-area-1208883/

I would run it as a separate fused lead straight from the battery. The TIPM is a fussy creature and doesn't like add ons so tapping off of something else could be a problem.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
dahozzman
2010 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstatman View Post
Mine only has 1 and its activity is controlled by the key being off or on. I would like to install another one that is always hot. Must I run new wires from the battery to the plug or is there another access port, so to speak, where can run always hot wires to the plug?

Tks
Honestly, your best bet is to run a fresh wire directly from where the battery feed connects to the main fuse box under the hood. An alternative would be to locate a constant hot wire under the dash that feeds, for instance, the interior lights and tap into that.

Use a test meter to confirm, but the wire color code I suggest you look for (reference Jeep Factory Service Manual) is either PK/GY that runs from the ignition switch or RD/DG that runs from the battery itself. The main harness runs behind the drivers side kick panel. Lots of kits for this kind of thing can be found on EBay searching for "12V Outlet".

Either way, be sure and add an inline fuse.

Cheers
2010 Compass LTD Added UConnect w/IPhone cable, front/rear MOPAR mud flaps, K&N drop in air filter, hardmount gooseneck cell phone station, MOPAR cargo liner, MOPAR cargo net, remote Radar Detector w/Voltmeter readout, upgraded speakers/added Tweeters & sub-woofer, MOPAR Back-up Camera/monitor, front lower grill, interior wood accents
dahozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
zstatman
2013 MK Compass 

Thanks much for the info

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" (anonymous)
zstatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.