Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ABS, ESP BAS, Traction control, 4WD lights on

140K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  RockstarMarty 
#1 ·
2007 Jeep Patriot 2.4L 4WD. I have been having a problem the past couple of weeks with these lights coming on. When the traction control light started blinking intermittently and reducing my speed I had it checked out after I couldn't find anything. The ball joints were about to come out and so I got them replaced. He's a good mechanic so I know he did it right and they were bad. I thought it would solve the problem but didn't. He pulled the codes and got several, we just thought they were probably stored from before so he cleared them. I told him I'd just try to figure it out if they came back on. Lights are still coming on. I unbolted the wheel sensors and cleaned all the dirt and corrosion off, unplugged them cleaned that connection and the problem went away for about 10 miles. Now the lights are back on. ABS, ESP BAS, Traction almost all of the time, 4WD sometimes. Got it scanned at Advance and got B1042, B101F. Looked them up in service manual and it pointed to right speed sensor, checked tire pressure and cleaned it one more time. Still get the lights. The next thing I'm thinking of doing is replacing the sensor, but I've read about wiring problems on these vehicles. Any other suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
After doing the ball joints did you align it? The steering angle sensor is connected to all of the fault lights that you've mentioned and that sensor will be misaligned after doing ball joints and tie rods. Try stopping and cranking the steering wheel all the way left, then right. If it goes off temporarily then comes back on then it's more than likely an alignment issue.

#3 ·
Yeah, I got it aligned. The guy that did the alignment and ball joints said everything in the suspension was good. I tried turning the steering back and forth and the lights stayed on. I drove it a little this afternoon. The lights stayed on most of the time, they did turn off for a minute then back on, then off for 5 seconds then back on. Every now and then when the lights are off and I brake the pedal pulsates a little like the power brakes are not working, then I let off and back on and they're fine. I'm going to try a wheel speed sensor and hope that does it. Might have to take it to the dealer after that, I don't know much about wiring and that seem like the only thing left.

#4 ·
Hay 2007 MK I have a 2007 Compass and it did the same exact thing and I brought it back to the dealer and it was the censor and they had to replace it once that was done the issue has never re-surfaced so I think you will have to replace the censor For me it was a bit costly as I also get a few other things done but I do beleive it was around $100 .. Good Luck ( Unsatisfiied Jeep Compass Owner as I now have to replace the computer and I have 160000KM on it not even 5yrs old)

#5 ·
Electronics being unpredictable will be a problem with all modern vehicles. Someone has to be on the bottom end of longevity curve. That doesn't mean that I don't empathise.

#6 ·
It looks like it was the wheel speed sensor. I replaced it on Saturday and the lights went out and they have not come on since. I ordered it online and it was a Mopar. It only cost me $28 including shipping. It was very easy to replace myself, just take out a bolt, unplug a plug, take it out and run the new one back through. The wheel speed sensor and ball joints are the only problems I've had out of the Patriot so I don't have any complaints, it has 63000 miles on it and I bought it brand new. I love it, it will go anywhere as long as it has clearance.

#9 ·
2009 Jeep Compass

Everything I read about the speed sensor says the same thing. I think crysler from 2007 to 2011 is having the same problem. The only problem I am having is that all I can find online and all Auto Zone can find is the back right sensor. Is that sensor interchangable on all four wheels or is there a sensor for each wheel and I just havent found it yet?

#10 ·
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

I too am having the same problem with my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. However, the only difference is that my 4wd kicks in without me doing anything. Very scary when your driving and suddenly dash lights come on and it goes into 4wd. No one has any clue what the problem including the jeep dealership. I called jeep directly and they clam there is no problem. I told them I have not modified the jeep and only have 11,000 miles. Please is there anyone out there that can help solve this problem. My email is ak@mauigun.com.
Mahalo,
Abraham

#11 ·
Alright gents, been lurking for years, thank you all for all of the posts and DIYs, so incredibly helpful. Finally have something to contribute here (I hope). Had a similar issue on a 2007 JGC. The ABS and traction control lights would come on, it would throttle the Gas and interrupt the Cruise Control. The ABS sensor wire runs down the upper control Arm. There is about a centimeter of clearance between the wire and the tire. For my issue the ABS Sensor wire had slacked about an inch and was wearing on the tire. Pulled it snug wrapped it up with Electrical Tape and problem is solved. Thanks again gents.

#13 ·
Good Morning from Nova Scotia
I have just purchase a 'new to me' 2008 Jeep Patriot North, I have a couple of 'idiot' lights on, when in particular is that the 4WD! light is on, I have tired engaging and disengaging the 4x4 train, but with no prevail, and it does sound like she is in 4x4 because I am getting that 'growling' noise - and no it's not me ;-)
any suggestions, and any words of wisdom from anyone would most appreciated.
We are only the second owner, person selling bought it brand new. It does have some mileage on it, but it's all hwy miles. No rust anywhere, it has been taken care of ..just have this issue with the idiot light.

#17 ·
Just fixed my wife's compass with the 4wd! light issue. Initially I had a leak due to the defrost drain hose coming back through the firewall. Fixed that but then the 4wd! light came back.

Finally got around to searching for corroded wires and found the culprit.

Look for fabric tape stained green from corrosion. The one that was giving me issues was on the bottom of the bundle, the tape tears. Pain to cut. I also used that circular pipe insulation to keep the wires off the floor. Hope thats a long term fix

Attachments

#18 ·
HELP!!!!

My 2011 Jeep Compass continues to have an issue. Out of no where, my traction control light comes on and a little lightening bolt, then I lose power. I pull over, turn it off, re-start and I'm good....no dealers can figure it out because I never go there with the lights on (It doesn't drive with the lights on). Please help!!!!

#21 ·
Thanks for that am having the same problem I just bought a 2007 Jeep Compass and it is sucking the fun out of owning a car...My lights are all on abs 4wd bas engine light and sometimes it stale. I only have it for a week n I have been back to the dealer more times than I care to say.

#22 ·
fedup, you need someone that can scan abs codes. some say autozone and like places will sometimes do it but i've never found one that does. i went to the dealership and they wanted 120 to scan it. i gave a quick "f you, royally" and left. then found a car at a local store with an "abs" decal on the back glass and other diagnostic messages. he scanned it for me for 5 bucks. pointed to a front passenger wheel speed sensor. bought a replacement for 18 dollars and half an hour later everything was A-OK!

Edit: that was meant for thugstar

#23 ·
Testing sensors

One thing you can do to test your sensors is, find the connector on the inside of the car, unclip them and test the prongs on the sensor with a multimeter set to resistance.
In the engine bay, the passenger side connector is under the airbox and tucked just under the ECU on the wall. The driver side one is under the AC pipes on the wall which you'll have to unclip and pull out under the wheel arch to test it.
In the boot, you'll have to take the floor out, spare wheel and the foam board arch between the wheels which sits just behind the rear seats. In those gaps where you've taken out the foam board you'll see the connectors with their red tabs stuck to the walls. Unclip the connectors and test them.

The readings on the multimeter should be consistent across all sensors, depending which value you have set on the multimeter will show a different amount, but just play by elimination, any sensor reading lower will be a culprit.

#25 ·
I had all these issues, tried tons of things and replaced a few parts.
The end result after taking it to an auto electrician was that the wheel speed sensor retainer clips, on the back of the hubs, were corroded away. And supposedly the sensors need the snuggest fit in the world, or else they screw up and jar their readings. Two new rear hubs put on, sensors clipped in proper, now all lights are off and normal. £100 for new sourced hubs on ebay, £250 labour at the garage though :/

I've driven the riot round for like the whole of 2016 with this issue and to stop any serious issue happening whilst driving, I kept the front driver side sensor disconnected in the engine bay at the firewall.
Quick fix until you really need the advantages of the braking system and to pass MOT.

#26 ·
solved

After 3 years of these lights being on, the problem was solved in 15 sec. I lightly tapped the abs pump motor housing and used an ample amount of CRC electronic cleaner in the holes of the pump motor housing. What do you know lights have been out since! Evidently the brushes in the motor get stuck and can sometimes be cleaned well enough to resume working.
Certainly beats the 1200+ mentioned by the dealership!!
Luckily for me the cleaner worked. My next step would have been to remove the pump motor and it housing and try cleaning or replacing the brushes from there

#27 ·
I have a '07 Jeep Patriot 4x4 and my "EBS", "Traction Control", "4x4" and "ABS" lights come on and off again constantly. When these lights are on it does not allow me to put my manual 4x4 on. We also ran the error codes and we're getting U0100 Lost communication to the ECM/PMU. Anyone else have any insight. I had the same issue about 6 mos. ago also but I also lost all power that time and the codes read for rear speed sensor, once that was replaced the lights went out. But now their back 6 mos later and I'm not getting any of the other symptoms that I had with the faulty speed sensor. Any helpful advice?

#28 ·
It may possibly be the same speed sensor, however not the sensor itself, rather the bracket that holds it into the hub. I had to replace a whole hub because the small metal bracket (two small converging cuts of metal) were rusted and warped, meaning the sensor wasn't going to pick up readings properly or all that well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.