JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   5 year Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Inspection ? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/5-year-lifetime-powertrain-warranty-inspection-1498541/)

gjr03 03-24-2013 08:03 PM

5 year Lifetime Powertrain Warranty Inspection ?

Sorry if this is a case of already been asked, but my 5 year inspection was Friday. They said that I passed, but that I needed to have the following things done to keep my warranty. I'm currently at 46,909 miles

1. Air Filter Change
2. Coolant Flush
3. Spark Plugs
4. Fuel Injection Serive

reading through some other auto sites 1-3 should be done at this interval I'm just really wondering about number 4. Not really a car person. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

jacko15 03-25-2013 07:52 AM

Pull out your owners manual and look at the maintenance schedule. Unless there's an obvious problem, such as a dirty air filter, the only scheduled maintenance you need is spark plug replacement, if its never been done. Check your owners manual!

More info on this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/l...years-1389487/

FujativeOCR 03-25-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15
Pull out your owners manual and look at the maintenance schedule. Unless there's an obvious problem, such as a dirty air filter, the only scheduled maintenance you need is spark plug replacement, if its never been done. Check your owners manual!

More info on this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/l...years-1389487/

This

aroundincircles 03-25-2013 11:19 AM

and do the spark plugs and air filter change yourself. spark plugs are <$3 each, but the dealer will charge you stupid amount of money to replace them. and same for the air filter. just keep a copy of the receipt in your files.

NHPATRIOT 03-25-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjr03 (Post 15187971)
Sorry if this is a case of already been asked, but my 5 year inspection was Friday. They said that I passed, but that I needed to have the following things done to keep my warranty. I'm currently at 46,909 miles

1. Air Filter Change
2. Coolant Flush
3. Spark Plugs
4. Fuel Injection Serive

reading through some other auto sites 1-3 should be done at this interval I'm just really wondering about number 4. Not really a car person. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

As others have said check your owner's manul and compare the mileage/time( it is whatever comes 1st not the longest for you )those items are listed at to see if they are due. 1-3 are reasonable demands if they have not been done and you are at or past the max interval. A fuel injector service is NOT required maintenance however at any time and the dealer is trying to scam you( it is called upselling )for work.

Tell them they are full of it and to show you where it says you have to do a fuel injector service in the owner's manual? Everything Chrysler requires of you is listed in there so if they say do something that is not listed they are scamming you and just trying to upsell. Be right up front and tell them if they try and force you to do that you will report them to Chrysler( I would anyway ).

You have to have a 2007 or 2008 model to be due for the inspection so we will go with a 2008 owner's manual for the info just to explain better what I mean above...

1.) Air Filter - the manual calls for the air filter to be changed every 30,000 miles OR every 3 years. Whichever comes 1st. If you have never had it changed it is time. Reasonable demand/suggestion by dealer.

2.) Coolant Flush - the manual calls for the coolant to be flushed every 102,000 miles OR every 5 years. Whichever comes 1st. You are at 5 years and even though you are only at 47,000 miles it should be done as you are at the max time limit. These modern antifreezes like Chrysler's HOAT have a finite service life and it is good to change them regularly. Reasonable demand/suggestion by dealer.

3.) Spark Plugs - the manual calls for the spark plugs to be changed every 30,000 miles or 30 months( 2.5 years ). Whichever comes 1st. You are definitely due for a plug change at 47,000. Reasonable demand/suggestion by dealer.

4.) Fuel Injector Service. THIS IS A BUNCH OF BS!!!!! There is no such service called for by Chrysler and thus the dealer can NOT make you do it and your warranty will be fine. Make them show you in the owner's manual where it says this must be done at all. They won't find it. It is an upsell and nothing more. Saying you have to do it or lose your LPTW is absolutely a lie and it is crooked! Tell them NO!

NOTE - I am not saying a FIS is a bad thing. I am saying it is not required maintenance and the dealer is full of crap saying you have to do it or your warranty is voided. They make a good profit off doing it so they are trying to scare you into doing it. A classic upsell. It might actually be beneficial to you if you always run the cheapest gas you can to do it however? ONly do it because you want to. Don't do it because they say you have to. They are full of it.

This info is available to you in your owner's manual under maintenance section/maintenance schedule ( pages 403-404 for 2008 ).

Also here is something else to consider. You have a couple other services that may be due depending on your vehicle. If you have a 4WD it is time to change the PTU and RDA fluids( 60,000 miles or every 5 years ).

Also, this is just my opinion but at 5 years and coming up on 50,000 it is really time to change the transmission fluid and filter if you have a CVT or change the manual transmission fluid if you have the 5 spd. It's a little early according to the manual but IMO car mfg's are allowing for way too long on trans service intervals these days.

FujativeOCR 03-25-2013 03:04 PM

On this note, I just passed 24 months on mine, but only 18,000 miles. Should I change my spark plugs too? 18,000 miles seems so early...but manual says 32k OR 24 months.

aroundincircles 03-25-2013 03:18 PM

I would it takes just a few minutes to do it and less than 12 dollars. I usually get improved fuel economy with the new plugs as well so they usually pay themselves off.

NHPATRIOT 03-25-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FujativeOCR (Post 15191880)
On this note, I just passed 24 months on mine, but only 18,000 miles. Should I change my spark plugs too? 18,000 miles seems so early...but manual says 32k OR 24 months.

For warranty purposes you really should do it by the 24 months even though @ 18K it is pretty early even for copper cores. You only need 4 though and they are pretty cheap if you buy them yourself. They are super easy to change so if you can change them yourself it is even cheaper.

I have a 2011 too and I didn't realize until I double checked what you posted that they dropped it to 24 months. That is kind of ridiculous. 30K/36 months is more realistic. Guess I will have to do it this summer. I am only at 15K but will hit 24 months in Aug.

I might be able to help you save some cash on the plug cost. If you have an Advance Auto Parts near you then this will help.

I. - Go to their web site http://shop.advanceautoparts.com
II. - Make sure you have all vehicles selected if you have any vehicles saved in your garage
III. - Enter NGK ZFR5F-11 in the search window( this is the OEM plug for the Patriot )
IV. - If it comes up saying add a vehicle or that it does not fit the Patriot if you have the Patriot in your garage( no idea why it says this - it is the OEM plug? )just close/ignore the popup window and continue.
V. - Obviously you need 4 of them. Enter 4 @ $2.39 each and add to cart.
VI. - In your shopping cart enter promo code P20 in the appropriate area to save 20%.
VII. - Pick the local store to you for pickup and pay.

NOTE - you MUST order the plugs online to use this code. You can not use it in store in person. Online only. Obviously you can order these and have them shipped but the shipping makes it more expensive than finding a local source.

Plugs: $2.39 X 4 = $9.56
Coupon: - $1.91( 20% )
Final Total: $7.65 p/set

:cheers2:

FujativeOCR 03-25-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FujativeOCR

I just called the dealer who said go by mileage, then called Jeep, who said go by whichever is first. :-/

Dealer parts department also said stockers are Nickel plugs.

FujativeOCR 03-25-2013 04:02 PM

Figures. Autozone doesnt sell the air filter or the proper stock plug. Only copper, platinum and iridium.

NHPATRIOT 03-25-2013 04:20 PM

What the heck is wrong with dealer/parts guys these days? Man they are useless. :nuts:

OEM plugs are NGK V-Power ZFR5F-11 which is a copper core. Says so right in your owner's manual( 2007-2012 models all show same thing - starting 2013-2014 they just say use MOPAR plugs but show same gap ).

Do yourself a big favor and look in your owner's manual FIRST. Lots of good and useful info in them.

2011 Jeep Patriot
Owner's Manual
Page 439

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psca68c1d7.jpg

Air filters for the 2011+ models are hard to find in stock for some reason. 2007-2010 were a regular flat panel filter but starting in 2011 they went to a round canister type. I got mine at PepBoys( Purolator ). You can also check out a local Napa( Part # 9014 ). If they don't have it in stock they can ususally have it that day or the next.

Other filter #'s for you...

Wix( same thing as the Nap Gold above ) = 49014
Purolator = A16168
Hastings = AF1531
Fram = CA11048

FujativeOCR 03-25-2013 05:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT
What the heck is wrong with dealer/parts guys these days? Man they are useless. :nuts:

OEM plugs are NGK V-Power ZFR5F-11 which is a copper core. Says so right in your owner's manual( 2007-2012 models all show same thing - starting 2013-2014 they just say use MOPAR plugs but show same gap ).

Do yourself a big favor and look in your owner's manual FIRST. Lots of good and useful info in them.

2011 Jeep Patriot
Owner's Manual
Page 439

Air filters for the 2011+ models are hard to find in stock for some reason. 2007-2010 were a regular flat panel filter but starting in 2011 they went to a round canister type. I got mine at PepBoys( Purolator ). You can also check out a local Napa( Part # 9014 ). If they don't have it in stock they can ususally have it that day or the next.

Other filter #'s for you...

Wix( same thing as the Nap Gold above ) = 49014
Purolator = A16168
Hastings = AF1531
Fram = CA11048

Attachment 593747

Attachment 593748

Attachment 593749

That's what my owners manual says, and that is the matching (nickel) plug. It isn't copper, nor does the manual say that it is.

gjr03 03-26-2013 12:16 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I thought the fuel injection service was bs. I appreciate all your suggestions.

NHPATRIOT 03-26-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FujativeOCR (Post 15192950)
Attachment 593747

Attachment 593748

Attachment 593749

That's what my owners manual says, and that is the matching (nickel) plug. It isn't copper, nor does the manual say that it is.

You have the same owner's manual I do if it is from a 2011. I posted a page from the Jeep site's online owner's manual but it is the same info. I wasn't saying the manual said it was NGK or copper specifically just the part #. I think seeing as I posted an image with my comments that was clear.

Chrysler has always used the NGK V-Powers as the OEM plug in the Patriot to my knowledge. I think you will see that is the accepted OEM plug for the Patriot if you look around the internet on Patriot forums. It is what has come out of Patriots as OEM as well on the 1st parts change.

I can see that box says nickel. Must be something new as I have never heard or read about nickel plugs for the Patriot before this. Have you pulled your OEM plugs yet to see if they match those or if they are NGK? Help others out and when you do the swap get a good photo of one of the OEM plugs laying next to one of those replacements so we can see if they match up( color of writing and style of writing will be a big clue ).

I noticed starting in 2013 that the manual no longer gives the base NGK part number. It just says use MOPAR plugs. I wonder if Chrysler has swapped over to the nickel plugs now( cheaper? )and is using the same base part # or something?

I think the fact the manual says straight ZFR5F-11 and that box part # says SPOZFR5F11 may be a clue. If that was the part # in 2011 it should have SPO shown too. Unless that is MOPAR code for a box of 4 or something?

Weird. If and when I am wrong I will gladly man up and say so. However, if that is the case here there are a whole lot of folks who are wrong. NGK V-Power is the accepted OEM plug for Patriots.

EDIT - I did some looking and came up with this...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psc788d94f.jpg

That is the SPOZFR5F11 part# but it clearly shows an NGK V-Power plug came out of it. I couldn't find any images of boxes like you show saying copper. I did find tons of places referring to this plug as copper and even stating it was NGK however. One place showed an image of Champion plugs but no corresponding MOPAR box w/ part # so may be assuming?

You should open that box up and slide a plug out and see what it is.

FujativeOCR 03-26-2013 06:29 AM

You're being nitpicky. Obviously the last 7 numbers are the same. And again the manual does not say copper. I trust the dealer found the right part off the VIN number.

The time now is 05:32 AM.