5 speed vs. CVT or FDI vs. FDII - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 5 speed vs. CVT or FDI vs. FDII

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
satanshollow

5 speed vs. CVT or FDI vs. FDII

Is there really much of a different between the two regarding its off road capability? Do you guys know if Jeep has any plans to have FDII available with a 5 speed in the future?

I'm not a hardcore off roader so I probably won't miss the extra 1" of clearing and the rock climbing tranny. I do want 4WD on my next vehicle though.

The Patriot seems to fit our bill as a smaller SUV, decent gas mileage, and a good price. In Canada, nothing can come close to the pricing. I was originally interested in the Liberty, but its in the high 20's for pricing, plus my commute is far so gas consumption would be a concern.

When building a Patriot on Jeep.ca, my total came to about $24,590 CAD with the 17" optional wheels/tires, tow package (I won't be towing, but you never know. Plus I can add a bike rack to it), fog lights, essentials cloth, North package, full size spare, Sirius radio and side air bags. I know there is an employee discount right now, and some other kind of discount. A few days ago it was reflected on the build price on the web site, but they have stopped it. So that would of knocked about $3500 off the price, plus whatever you negotiate. So lets make it $21K CAD to make it simple.

When I look at the Nissan X-Trail, Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, they all start at about 29K. Its hard to get prices at Honda down since they sell well, Toyota has no dicker sticker pricing, so you might be able to get the Nissan down, but its still expensive for us. So the Patriot should do well here (I hope!)

I'm not totally sold on the CVT, and there is no lifetime powertrain warranty option in Canada. I don't want some huge bill a few years down the road because the CVT needs replacement. Actually, if there was a normal automatic option I would go with it just for my commute, but since there isn't I think I would stick with the 5 speed.

Now i'm not ready to buy anytime soon, but I'm just doing some research ahead of time. My other option at the moment is a Mazda 5 since it can haul quite a bit, will be coming out with a 5 speed auto (instead of current 4 speed auto) and is nicely priced. But like I said, I would like to get some with 4wd as we would like to start taking our daughter to the family cabin and other road trips.

Thanks for any input!

satanshollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanshollow
Is there really much of a different between the two regarding its off road capability? Do you guys know if Jeep has any plans to have FDII available with a 5 speed in the future?
The FD I has a 15:1 low (2.41 final drive) and the FD II has a 19:1 low (3.21 final drive), you do lose 2 or 3 mpg. Well worth it if you need that kind of capability.

The FD II Includes: CVT2L - second-generation continuously variable transaxle with low range, 19:1 overall crawl ratio, Skid Plates, Tow Hooks, 17-Inch Aluminum Wheels and All-Terrain Tires, Full-Size Spare Tire, Fog Lamps, Manual Seat Height Adjuster, Hill-Descent Control, Off-Road Brake Traction Control (vs. standard Brake Traction Control), +1 inch Ground Clearance vs. non-Trail Rated versions, 19” Water Fording Capability, 29.6-degree approach angle, 34.2-degree departure angle and 23.3-degree breakover angle, Heavy Duty Engine and Trans Oil Coolers w/high output Electric Fans, Heavy Duty Alternator, A/C Air Filer and other structural and calibration enhancements to meet off-road driving requirements

And (some of these are available with other options or installed yourself)

140-Ampere Alternator
Brake Lock Differentials
Air Filtering
Fog Lamps
Trail Rated Badge
Engine Oil Cooler
Full-Size Spare Tire
Tow Hooks

The hill decent controls and some other features are only currently available by what is programmed into the CVT2L

Quote:
I'm not a hardcore off roader so I probably won't miss the extra 1" of clearing and the rock climbing tranny. I do want 4WD on my next vehicle though.
This is a marketing gimmick. The FD II is only ½” over the FD I and 1” over the 2WD. I think that Jeep has under played the FD I's capibilities but the FD II is still the flagship of the MK's.

Quote:
The Patriot seems to fit our bill as a smaller SUV, decent gas mileage, and a good price. In Canada, nothing can come close to the pricing. I was originally interested in the Liberty, but its in the high 20's for pricing, plus my commute is far so gas consumption would be a concern.

When building a Patriot on Jeep.ca, my total came to about $24,590 CAD with the 17" optional wheels/tires, tow package (I won't be towing, but you never know. Plus I can add a bike rack to it), fog lights, essentials cloth, North package, full size spare, Sirius radio and side air bags. I know there is an employee discount right now, and some other kind of discount. A few days ago it was reflected on the build price on the web site, but they have stopped it. So that would of knocked about $3500 off the price, plus whatever you negotiate. So lets make it $21K CAD to make it simple.

When I look at the Nissan X-Trail, Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, they all start at about 29K. Its hard to get prices at Honda down since they sell well, Toyota has no dicker sticker pricing, so you might be able to get the Nissan down, but its still expensive for us. So the Patriot should do well here (I hope!)
Same reasons that a lot of us have bought MK’s

Quote:
I'm not totally sold on the CVT, and there is no lifetime powertrain warranty option in Canada. I don't want some huge bill a few years down the road because the CVT needs replacement. Actually, if there was a normal automatic option I would go with it just for my commute, but since there isn't I think I would stick with the 5 speed.

Now i'm not ready to buy anytime soon, but I'm just doing some research ahead of time. My other option at the moment is a Mazda 5 since it can haul quite a bit, will be coming out with a 5 speed auto (instead of current 4 speed auto) and is nicely priced. But like I said, I would like to get some with 4wd as we would like to start taking our daughter to the family cabin and other road trips.

Thanks for any input!
The CVT’s have been out in other vehicles for quite a while with both good and bad reports. This is a 2nd generation CVT and personally, I think if Jeep has enough confidence in them to create the FD II then they must be pretty decent. They do drive different, that just takes some getting used to.

Mazda 5 ground clearance is only 5.5 inches vs the MK's 8.5 with FD I. That coupled with the AWD/4WD should do just fine in the winter!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.