31 Avg MPG last weekend - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 31 Avg MPG last weekend

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #16
charlimc
2008 MK Patriot 

I just got 346 miles on my last tank- and that was filled just as soon as the Low Fuel chime came on. I have gotten as well as 7.7 litres per 100 kms recently. This was from a low of 17 MPG (US) this past winter. I attribute this improvement to the following: 1) I now have 14,000 kms so it is broken in. 2) Warmer weather- engine seems to do much better when the ambient temp is over 15C 3) Use of Scanguage- I have adjusted my driving habits 4) Keeping RPMs around 2200 5) Not speeding - I drive 105 kph on highway now- not 120 (a recent speeding ticket has helped) 6) Use of Autostick around town and of cruise on highway 7) I avoid AC whenever I can.

I am very pleased with current mileage especially since gas is $1.32 per litre now.

charlimc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlimc View Post
7) I avoid AC whenever I can.
There VERY little difference in AC vs. drag with windows open. Depends on the type of driving your doing. I believe the study (Mythbuster, I beleive) showed an improvement in MPG only btwn 40-50 MPH with AC on, otherwise it was just as efficient with the windows open. Not sure what kind of vehicle that was, but the difference is nominal.

I've increase my MPG by 2-3pg just by learning to coast where I can. I look at times I have to use the brakes as a waste of energy. Trying to time your acceleration/deceleration better and keeping those RPM's down is the best bet. Shut your engine off if you're going to be idling more than 30 seconds (trains, traffic jams, etc).

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Oh yeah, I switched to Platinum plugs (Bosch) and changed my dirty air filter (dirtiest one I've ever seen!) and ended up averaging 32 again.
Unread 06-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #19
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemark8 View Post
I will say I have the K&N cold air intake kit. I use nothing but synthetic motor oil and I changed the stock NGK sparkplugs at 30,000 as stated in the owners manual. I switched to the NGK Iridium sparkplugs. This all does help to get the most from the engine.
I haven't been able to find the part # for the NGK Iridiums. Do you have it handy?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #20
OrangetheRipper
2007 MK Compass 

hmmm, ive got about 11k miles on my limited 4x4 (5 spd) and have never gotten better then about 26.5 mpg HW... right now the computer is reading 21.6 mpg from all city driving... mind you i do attempt to keep RPMs down, but still... i dont see how people are getting over 30 without coasting for a good portion of their drive.
OrangetheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangetheRipper View Post
hmmm, ive got about 11k miles on my limited 4x4 (5 spd) and have never gotten better then about 26.5 mpg HW... right now the computer is reading 21.6 mpg from all city driving... mind you i do attempt to keep RPMs down, but still... i dont see how people are getting over 30 without coasting for a good portion of their drive.
2WD and 5 speed (mostly). I get about the same as you but taller tires aren't helping me any.

Unread 06-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #22
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

NGK Iridium sparkplugs

Gramps might want to move this thread. This is in reply to Bob. The torque values and gap are Chrysler specs from the factory service manual.

Stock sparkplug NGK ZFR5F-11
Iridium sparkplug NGK ZFR5FIX-11 or simply 2477
Gap for either is .043"
Torque sparkplugs to 13ft-lbs. + or - 2ft-lbs.

NGK also has a platium sparkplug available for that as a cross reference. Not sure the part #. NGK just recently switched to a four digit product # to simplify cataloging parts. Simply use NGK sparkplug #2477. Any of those sparkplugs should be fairly easy to obtain. Many Honda vehicles from the early to late 90's use that exact sparkplug including the Civic, DelSol, Accord, and Prelude to name a few. Sparkplugs are sold in packs of 4. I paid just over $8 apiece.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #23
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've gotten over 30mpg on my 5 speed 4wd Patriot on 2 separate road trips. Both times I was in a camping caravan doing roughly 55mph (mainly because the RV's couldn't go much faster than that). On those trips, we drove round trip 60 miles, and I swear to God, that gas needle moves 2 small lines off full. If I drive mellow (i.e. no lead footing- easy stops, etc) my around town and light highway, I'm getting 28- If I put my foot in it more, it goes down to 21-23. Since the gas has been getting so high, I'm making a conscious effort to take it easy on the gas to keep those mpg's up. I love my Patriot!!

My husband gets around 28 on the highway, mainly because he regularly gets stuck in traffic, and has to drive around 70 to make up for it (when he gets by it of course! ).
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #24
the mad hatter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't want to make a new thread for this question...thought this thread would be a good spot.

I just bought an 07 Patriot, 4wd, automatic...can I trust the EVIC mpg rating?

Thanks
the mad hatter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #25
acadian
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mad hatter View Post
Didn't want to make a new thread for this question...thought this thread would be a good spot.

I just bought an 07 Patriot, 4wd, automatic...can I trust the EVIC mpg rating?

Thanks

I really don't think the 4wd is going to make a difference, unless you are really using it. You still should get close to 30mpg on the highway.
acadian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #26
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangetheRipper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
2WD and 5 speed (mostly). I get about the same as you but taller tires aren't helping me any.
Glad to know I'm not alone with these numbers.....my friend even gets 28-30 in her 07 CVT Caliber

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #27
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Calibers came with 1800, 2000 and the R/T is the only one with the 2.4 and the R/T was the only one with the AWD option. I don't recall the figures right now but the Caliber has a slightly better coefficient of drag than the Compass which had a little better than the Patriot. Where I live, and it looks like maybe you too, I have no worries about winter driving. It's the best "stay on the road" snowmobile I've ever owned and I'll put up with a bit less mpg just to have it.

Unread 06-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #28
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Like I mentioned earlier, I have to drive mellow- i.e. no jackrabbit starts, abrupt starts, or shifting above 3000 rpms to get the top gas milage. I average around 28 around town with light highway. If I'm less careful with my driving it goes down to 21-23 mpg. It can be done in a 4wd 5 speed.
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #29
fuzzyweis
2008 MK Compass 

Wow, I need to get out of New England, the ethanol kills my mpg. Granted with the cvt and 4x4, but still down around 20 around town, not city, just not highway.

Anybody know how to negate the ill effects of e10?

'08 Compass Sport 4X4 CVT
fuzzyweis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.