2014 Patriot OR Compass? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2014 Patriot OR Compass?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 08-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Androo75

2014 Patriot OR Compass?

Jeep noob here - my mother has owned two Grand Cherokees, great SUV, so I'm moving away from my much loved Hondas and taking the plunge.

Can't decide, Patriot or Compass? Obvious style differences, and I like the look of both but which is better?

Both of my Jeep.com builds are identical and come in close to 20k

4x4
2.4L Engine
5 SPD

Patriot Options:
  • Air Conditioning
  • Power Value Group
  • Tire And Wheel Group

Compass Options
  • Power Value Group

Definately staying away from CVT, and I'm not into automatics - also it's insane what they charge for an upgraded touch screen stereo/GPS and speakers so I'll go aftermarket.

I live in metro Atlanta so I will be sitting in lots of traffic, and likely on the highway frequently so comfort is key - also I'll be going from client meetings w/passenegers during the week, to hiking in the North GA mountains and light trail exploration on the weekend.

Seems like both would work, so does it just boil down to my preference on looks?

Also any recommendations on a nice touch screen radio/GPS that could drop right in?

...and finally how close is the pricing I get on Jeep.com to what I can expect @ the dealer - I'd love to get out the door for less then 20K w/5k down seems reasonable for the base cars with a few add-ons.

Thx all -

Androo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Mechanically, they are exactly the same. If you are buying a manual, the patriot seems to be actually on the lots, where I've never seen a compass on a lot with a manual (not that they don't exist, just I haven't seen one)

I would definently go for the 4x4 manual, and I would take a serious look at the all weather package. Comes with a few things a regular 4x4 doesnt but the FDII does, without having to get the CVT of the FDII. (Tow hooks, OWL tires, etc)
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Just looks and +1 for Patriot. And x2 for no CVT.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Androo75

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Mechanically, they are exactly the same. If you are buying a manual, the patriot seems to be actually on the lots, where I've never seen a compass on a lot with a manual (not that they don't exist, just I haven't seen one)

I would definently go for the 4x4 manual, and I would take a serious look at the all weather package. Comes with a few things a regular 4x4 doesnt but the FDII does, without having to get the CVT of the FDII. (Tow hooks, OWL tires, etc)
love your website man, looks good - Jeep should be paying you for those photos!

Where can I see the specs on your Pat? Those tires are beast.
Androo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Details are all in my sig. I have a FDII 2012 (CVT and off road group) 2" RRO lift, and 245/65-17 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires.

FDII gives you the following:
Bright Exhaust Tip
Brake Lock Differential
Hill Descent Control
Full-Size Spare Tire
Transmission / Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Engine Oil Cooler
"Trail Rated" Badge
Trailer Tow Wiring Harness
Continuously Var. Trans with Off-Road
Crawl Ratio
P215/65R17 OWL All Terrain Tires
Tow Hooks
All-Season Floor Mats

But it comes at a MPG hit, I get max 23mpg highway, average around 21mpg mix of city and highway, and its only available with the CVT, which I'm fine with, but some don't like it.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My FD2 gets 14-17 city, 22-25 highway. 18-19 mixed
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Woody_in_MN

I just got my Pat Latitude 4x4 last week - can not speak to MPG.

I know styling is personal - but one HUGE reason I got the Pat - I am going to hold this car until it will not drive anymore - I did not want something that would look out of date in a few years. The Pat has that classic Jeep look, and the big, square cargo area. I did not even bother to look at either the Escape, or the CX5 - just based on style.

As far as Hwy comfort - I think the Pat is more comfortable than the Altima Coupe I traded in to the dealer.

So +1 for the Patriot
Woody_in_MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_in_MN View Post
- I did not want something that would look out of date in a few years. The Pat has that classic Jeep look, and the big, square cargo area. I did not even bother to look at either the Escape, or the CX5 - just based on style. So +1 for the Patriot
Love it! You're saying that the Patriot's "classic Jeep look" is timeless!

I would conclude that the Patriot is somewhat of a cult following and we are all a bit eccentric.

My wife of 37 years is a farm gal and SHE chose our 2014 Pat over all the others she tested, hand crank windows and all. Gotta luv a girl like that.
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Woody_in_MN

Not trying to draw people away from here - but there is a forum out there just for Jeep Patriot.

I am very new to the "Cult". I never even sat in a Jeep until two weeks ago. I bought my Pat one week to the day from my test drive.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.