2014 Jeep Compass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 2014 Jeep Compass

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #16
Sarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyenobs View Post
Well it wasn't rated by motoring journalists.

Sent from my HTC One X using JeepForum
Motoring journalists in general don't like CVTs but that doesn't mean they are worthless transmissions. The one on my Pat is just fine and more and more cars are using them instead of the traditional automatic. Jeep did replace the CVT with an auto for 2014 Pats and Compass models, but I think that was as much to shut up whining journos as actual owners.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Ford used a cvt on the freestyle then went back to an Automatic. I believe GM used a cvt on some models too in the early 2000's....Saturn maybe, and now they are nowhere to be seen. I know I won't buy another car with one.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Aran
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm currently driving a rented 2014 Patriot (2.4, 6spd) while my Scion xB is in the body shop after an accident. I want my Scion back, this is an overweight pig with no get up and go. Leg room is terrible, it feels cramped in every other direction as well, the interior isn't bad otherwise but it's enough to consider it off my list of cars to ever accept as a rental again.
Aran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Interesting note about the leg room. My 2011 Patriot has lots of it, and I'm 6'5".

Did you remember to lower the seat?
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
andyenobs
2012 MK Compass 

I've got to say I'm 6'1" and I don't have a problem at all with leg room. Try adjusting the height of the driver's seat.

andyenobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #21
Sarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Ford used a cvt on the freestyle then went back to an Automatic. I believe GM used a cvt on some models too in the early 2000's....Saturn maybe, and now they are nowhere to be seen. I know I won't buy another car with one.
You aren't looking then. Subaru is generally replacing all their automatics with CVTs in newer models, including the very highly rated new Foresters. Nissan uses them pretty extensively, including in the new Pathfinder. Just to name a few.

Most of the tech stuff I've read says that as CVTs get better they will supplant the more expensive large # of gear automatics that are the only thing that can also deliver the MPGs. And ultimately automakers are being driven by the demands of higher fuel economy standards.

As for leg room, my '09 Patriot has more than I need and I'm 6'1". The car doesn't feel cramped to me at all, but then I was driving an '02 Saturn before this.
Sarkus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #22
andyenobs
2012 MK Compass 

Personally it doesn't actually affect me as my Compass is diesel and has a 6 speed manual gear box which is better for our roads in the UK and more economical on the gas.
Over here manual gear boxes are far more popular than automatics even with the ladies. However if I lived in the States with your roads I would be more than happy to drive an automatic.

andyenobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkus

You aren't looking then. Subaru is generally replacing all their automatics with CVTs in newer models, including the very highly rated new Foresters. Nissan uses them pretty extensively, including in the new Pathfinder. Just to name a few.

Most of the tech stuff I've read says that as CVTs get better they will supplant the more expensive large # of gear automatics that are the only thing that can also deliver the MPGs. And ultimately automakers are being driven by the demands of higher fuel economy standards.

As for leg room, my '09 Patriot has more than I need and I'm 6'1". The car doesn't feel cramped to me at all, but then I was driving an '02 Saturn before this.
Which is also why I won't buy a new Subaru. Bummer for them. I may consider an 05-07 someday
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
jk13crush
2013 JK Wrangler 

CVT s are smaller than traditional automatic transmissions, which causes them to way less which can also improve mpg
jk13crush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

As far as I know, the Patriot/Compass are the only car with a CVT that gets worse gas mileage than it's Manual counterpart.
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #26
Youngone97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you all for the information. Due to looking at different reviews and going to see all types of vehicles, it is sounding like she will be getting a Subaru Forester. It has better safety ratings, and better mpg ratings plus it is slightly roomier. I appreciate all of the responses! Thanks again!
Youngone97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #27
benedan7

2014 compass w/6 speed automatic a ok

for all to know. the 6 speed automatic with 2.4 engine is a ok. not the gutless pos that the cvt was. we enjoy our 2014 compass real auto transmission. highway mileage was 27.9 mpg.

we bought used 2011 with cvt and traded it back to the dealer in one day. even my wife stated that it robbed the engine of power

not sure if anyone has the definitive answer about 4wd lock. maybe jeep doesnt know either. i queried jeep and about it and got the following answers to questions:

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

According to available information the answers to the questions posed in
your email are listed below:

Q1. 4WD Lock should not be active above 35 MPH. 4WD Lock should only be
active at speeds below 35 MPH.

Q2. No, the 4WD Lock indicator light should not turn on if the 4WD Lock
switch is activated at speeds above 35 MPH.

Q3. Yes, the 4WD Lock indicator light should turn off if in 4WD Lock and
the vehicle speed is above 35 MPH.

i engaged 4wd lock at 65 mph and the 4wd indicator lights on the instrument panel. therefore answer to question #2 is wrong. also, the 4wd indicator stays on at speeds above 35 mph, so the answer to question #3 is wrong.

the 2014 manual states that it can be engaged at any speed. not sure what that means regarding 4wd lock being active at what speed? maybe there is some confusion between 4wd lock and esc. esc has a 35 mph restriction.

as an engineer i might just have to wait until winter and find a nice icy patch or lake to test whether 4wd lock stays on at speeds above 35 mph.
benedan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My 2011 manual says any speed
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #29
benedan7

manual vs reality

2014 manual states the same. 4wd lock engaged at any speed. so yes, one can pull up the t handle and turn on the indicator. to confirm 4wd locked at speeds above 35 mph a real test is in order. i will confirm this when winter arrives. shouldn't be too hard to find an icy lake somewhere or icy road and test traction with 4wd lock engaged. real tests get real results.
benedan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.